Oryx and weather

hunt3rl1fe

Does anyone know how oryx act with rain and snow? Looks like there is alot of weather coming in the rest of the week. My son has his off range tag and been out every weekend and yet to turn one up.

Oryx are warm weather creatures, they do not like cold, rain, or snow or wind. They typically bed down and don't move a lot. But hunting in bad weather you have a better chance than not hunting at all so keep at it. Off range hunting is feast and famine it can turn around real quickly so good luck.

Depends. A friend of mine shot an oryx, on range (which is totally irrelevant), with rain. The oryx was as soaked and wet as though it just got out of a water tank. They didn't jump it, it was in a group of about 15 and they were just doing their thing.

I will agree, they will hunker down in inclement weather as in rain and wind, or snow and wind, or rain/snow mix and wind. Wind is the key...

Oryx will start to move HEAVILY when the sun comes out no matter how cold. Yes they will bed down but oryx move A LOT. Killed them in snow storm, and July rain storms.

Off range oryx, go when you can go, and as often as you can go. Its a numbers game. I like recent weather so I can watch for tracks.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom