Oryx hunt in Nov.

N

nmhs

I am planning on going on a depredation Oryx hunt in November. I own a 30-06 and I bought the Federal accubond 180 grain bullets. Will that be suffiecent for this animal. Any pointers on hunting this type of animal. I do have high power Binos for glassing. Thanks for the help

Some people would consider this a bit light for an Oryx. I personally took one last year on the Rhodes Cyn. hunt with a 30-06 & 150gr. Sierra Gamekings. My shot was short distance (crawled to about 50 yds.) and shot it directly through the front shoulder.

Beware that African game are TOUGH, and the vitals are much further forward than deer or elk. My shot through the shoulder was a heart shot and the bullet did not pass thgrough the animal.

Good luck & enjoy.

Slowbow

I killed my Oryx on the Stallion Range in Jan 04. I used a 300 Win Mag shooting 180 grain Nolser. Range was around 100 yards & the bull took about 3 steps------the top of his heart was severed. An 06 would have done the same--Shoot placement is key. Follow the guide handed out by the DOW----I placed the crosshair on the top of the racing strip & then moved it on to the shoulder. IMO an 06 would have the same result. I think you'll do fine with you pick. CB

you have to break its shoulder. These suckers are tough. I had the Feb Rhodes canyon hunt and took a nice bull at 150 yards with my 30-06 and 180 grain nosler partitions. It took 2 shots in the same spot before he went down.

BTW...they are great eating.

Have fun, but take the rules seriously as the AF does not screw around or give 2nd chances.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom