Oryx Hunt Updates

nmelktrout

Very Active Member
Hunted the Stallion this weekend with a buddy from Oregon and I agree, the Stallion is not what it used to be. Don't get me wrong, there are still a good number of animals, but I cannot believe how many broken horns are on that range. We were within 400 yards of over a total of 100 animals until we harvested at 1:00 and an easy 75% were broken horned. Not an easy hunt for the road hunter these days either. I was pleased to see that a female MI hunter harvested a very nice animal.

My buddy Shaun came down from Oregon and shot a solid mature bull after missing a monster right off the bat. We did see two 35+ animals but missed one and couldn't get a shot at the other. How'd everything turn out for everyone else? Anyone going to be at the next Rhodes hunt? I'll let Shaun to post his pics, but let's see some Stallion harvest photos! Last I saw Antler Addiction had top bull at 36", anybody outdo that animal?

-Cody

Congrats to your buddy cody! I am back home also. Our other hunter from Iowa beat our first hunter and when I left we had top bull at 37 inches... Definitley not the hunt it used to be. We had to weed through hundreds of animals to find a shooter.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-11 AT 08:20AM (MST)[p]If you guys are missing shots at large animals and weeding through hundreds of them to find a 'shooter', tell me, how is that such a rough hunt?

We can't be so greedy as to expect to bag a monster on every hunt...especially with so little time. It's still a very fun hunt and a great/unique opportunity.

Oh yeah, congrats to your buddy, and I do look forward to seeing the pictures.

Don't get me wrong, seeing that many animals in a few hours on a hunt is always impressive and indicative of a successful experience. It's the comparison of what this hunt used to be to where it is now that gives it its only shortcoming. I think the 3 day hunts will make all OIL oryx hunts more relaxed and fun for everyone and will likely give some young animals the opportunity to do a little more growing up as everyone won't feel rushed to harvest as quickly as possible.

Leftturn, I spoke with several hunters who had not seen any animals or had not seen any within shooting distance by the end of the first day. Quite a few frustrated individuals. But, for a hunter who knows how to glass and is willing to get out of the car, this is still a hell of a hunt. In fact, I'll try to go on a Stallion Range hunt this coming season with anyone that I can.

You are right, this is still unique hunt in that most everyone will have an opportunity to harvest. Unbelievable really in that we have wild, free ranging African game to hunt here in New Mexico. We definitely take it for granted...
-Cody

Congrats to you and your buddy I'll be lookin for pics.I'm glad to hear you guys saw a lot of broken horns.I sent you a pm.

Congrats to your buddy Cody. I only wish I lived closer to be able to tag along on oryx hunts.

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

Lee, post up some pics of that nice Stallion bull you killed two years ago.

Jeff, check your inbox and give me a call.

Agreed, a 3rd day adds a lot more time to the hunt, but it's still an incredible hunt for a weekend hunt.

I'm just getting a little tired of people complaining about having to actually hunt these animals. I like that they have to actually "get out of the car" now. There are still some very nice trophy class animals out there, as some of you guys are still proving. You just have to work for them...which is the way I think it should be.

Hell, a friend of mine shot a 37" bull 70 yards off the side of the road in Rhodes in October. So, I guess it still can happen (kind of a good thing for him, I guess, as he's an Iraqi war vet that is still pretty busted up froom an IED).

I didn't mean to take anything away from you guys, so if I'm coming off that way, I do apologize.

Leftturn, no need to apologize as I think you were right on with your posts. Hunting is required on these hunts and that is the way it ought to be. Makes a hunter that much more appreciative of their harvest.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom