Oryx Jan 2012

abqbw

We just returned from a great Oryx hunt at White Sands Missile Range. My 13 year old daughter drew a once-in-a-lifetime tag. Chad with JFW Ranch Consulting was our guide. He is a great guide. We had a wonderful time and my daughter was able to experience a 1 mile stalk and take her first big game animal on the first day of the hunt. She had a great time as did I. She was especially happy that it ended up being a day trip and she was able to sleep in her own bed. Gotta love living in a place where you can leave your house at 7 am, go take an Oryx and get your daughter home before bedtime. She took a big old bull with broken horns at 250 yds. They run a great hunt at White Sands. I have seen posts that say the hunting has gone downhill. It was fantastic. Chad was able to find plenty of Oryx right away. We had four different groups of Oryx located for potential stalks within about 30 minutes of beginning our hunt.

6858img_0426.jpg

Thanks for the nice comments. I am a pretty proud dad.

As far as teaching your nephew how to shoot, I have some suggestions if you are interested. It was not luck that my daughter was able to make a 250 yd shot in the field. It just takes a little practice. I took her out and had her practice four or five times under "field conditions". Had her shoot off of a harris bipod (which is what she shot the oryx from) in a sitting position. She also practiced from a bog-pod tripod both sitting and standing. Kids learn fast and I believe any kid can be taught how to shoot off a bipod. I believe that the harris bipod works well for kids because it is attached to the gun. You need to find out what height is good for the kid but learn how to adjust it up or down quickly in the field based on slope. The kid needs to shoot off of it enough to know it needs to be adjusted and to be able to tell you if it needs to be moved. At least for my kids, they are not as steady off of a tripod that the gun is just sitting on. One thing I do is have the kids shoot at fresh targets at know ranges and evaluate each shot. If they can get nearly every single shot within four or five inches of where they aim at a given distance I consider that their hunting range.

By practicing I knew how far she could shoot accurately, both standing and sitting. More important, she had "made the shot" from the same position maybe 50 times so she was comfortable when she had the shot at the Oryx. We passed on an Oryx at 280 yards earlier in the day because we knew she was very accurate to 250 yds so we set that as the limit. I am pretty sure she could have made the 280 yd shot, but we had a limit of 250 and stuck to it.

I'm no expert, but I think taking a kid out and having them shoot off a bench isn't much help for hunting shots. I have four kids and have taught them all to shoot off of harris bipods. So far they have taken 3 pronghorns at ages 8,9 and 10, 1 bighorn sheep at 17 yo, 1 Ibex at 11 yo, and 2 oryx at 13 and 15 yo. All on public land draw tags except two of the pronghorns. Cumulatively they have missed one deer and have wounded no animals. They have never even nicked guts. All shots have been off the harris bipods, except the bighorn sheep which was taken laying down off a backpack rest. I bet your nephew can learn to shot off a bipod or tripod in 2 or 3 trips to the range...

Awesome! What cartridge was she shootin?

Say, do you have another daughter that killed a fine Pecos ram on a youth hunt several years ago?

Anyway, many congrats to you both on the Racer Stripes...you are obviously teaching your kids very well!

Thanks greatwestern. She is shooting a .270 win. My grandfathers 1948 or 49, that my good friend ##### Caudill put a stock win featherweight barrel on and a plastic stock and bedded. Its just the right weight for my daughter to shoot without much kick but not too heavy for her old Dad (me) to carry!

It was my son that shot a great pecos ram in 2010 on a youth tag. It scored 175 and change in the field. Bill Lewellen with one-on-one adventures was the guide. He is an incredible sheep guide and a great guy too. I have stayed in regular touch with him. Really a great outfitter.
4579emmett_wynn_nm_youth_sheep.jpg

Looks like to great hunts. Congrat to both kids on doing a good job.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Ah yes, an excellent ram for your son! Looks like 9-10 years of age as well, a fine old alpine bruiser

Cheers' and wishing you and your family many future successes!

Thanks for the nice comments. My 15 year old son was on the same Oryx hunt. He took a 34 in cow. We had a different guide/outfitter for him so we could split up and he could trophy hunt cause he is an incredible long distance shot. I'm not going to mention the other guide/outfitter because I was pretty disappointed the guide had him shoot such a small cow earlier on saturday when we were buried in oryx and seeing plenty of nice bulls

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom