Oryx Mount back form the Taxi-Man

LCHC

Hey guys and gals thought I would post a few pics of my oryx mount I picked up yesterday from Major Wildlife Studios in Las Cruces. All I can say is "Wow Wow Wow"!! I couldn't of asked for a better mount. Robert and his crew there are top notch!

9928dsc_0314.jpg

8174dsc_0304.jpg

8842dsc_0319.jpg

5742dsc_0324.jpg

I'm glad ur happy with that mount but I really need to inform u that the manican appears to be a little off. That's appears to be more of an elk neck. Oryx don't really have a neck when viewed from the side. I have both in my house and when compared side by side the true oryx form blows the other away. Then again I can't see his broadside view the best and may be totally wrong. Not hitting u or anything but the first time I saw an oryx done right I was amaze and wondered WTF. It took me a year to finally see the difference but that's just me. If ur totally satisfied then please ignore me. Others on here have nicknamed me agile and u are welcome to as well.

Hey Stinky post some pics so we all know what you are talking about. I would like to see the difference in the forms. I looked at both of my oryx mounts and there is not a real defined neck on either as you are refering to. By the way this might of been the largest cow killed during that population management hunt that weekend. Thought you might get a laugh out of that comment.

LCHC,

Great mount!! Robert and his crew do great work. I've seen many mounts from several different NM taxi's and I believe Roberts are top notch. I also see these animals weekly, and don't see any problem with the neck.

Congrats on the animal and a beautiful mount!

Beautiful mount. Robert knows his stuff.

Stinky... not sure what you mean. They look like they have a neck to me.... Not saying your crazy, just curious what you mean. Most of the forms I see are fairly in line with what I see on these live gemsbok.

Gemsbok.JPG

gemsbok-oryx-thumb14807181.jpg

gemsbok--oryx_3.jpg

gemsbok2.jpg

As they put their heads more upright, they lose the appearance of a long neck, but in a sneak pose like the one mounted.

gemsbok_perfect_shot.jpg

Great lookin mount! Especially like that the horns ain't waxed, and appear to be left 'natural'

Check the 'ignore' box on Stench's post...them Aurochs have bullish necks

good work!

Hey nmtaxi,

Those are some great reference photos! This is where Great Taxidermy starts!....reference, reference,reference!!!!!

KP

Look at the second and last pics posted. One is of a very scrawny oryx with a neck and the last is of a blocky necked oryx which I like. It may be just personal preference. However that oryx u killed is huge but I wasn't gonna comment on size. I will post my fathers cow and my African bull in a few days and show u the difference. I'm gonna have my oryx remounted to look like my fathers. Ur detail and all is great. I just like the other neck.

Bad ass! Robert's won several professional blue ribbons for his Oryx mounts and has over decade of experience with Oryx. There are differences in neck girth, muscle definition and skull width between sexes and even individuals sometimes, but he does an excellent job of matching them up anatomically. When my brother harvested his Oryx I looked for the best form out there. One that would require very little alterations and we found a company out of Texas that had what I would consider the best commercial Oryx cow form out there and little did I know they had partnered with Robert to develop the form. Awesome mount, thanks for sharing.

Ok, took me a while but here are some of my oryx.

This is my oryx that the african taxidermists did and I used to love it until my dad got his mounted

Here's mine (the form I no longer like)

1000oryx_bad.jpg

And here's the one my dad's taxidermist did. I absolutely love this mount and the neck structure.

155oryx_good.jpg

Glad you didn't get upset. I have no problems with your oryx and it looks like it has awesome detail. One thing I always seemed to see on some oryx, not all of them, was that blocky neck. When I saw my dad's mount I simply fell in love with that look.

I also have another awesome oryx mount which I think is way cool but I will start up a new thread for that as to no jack your thread here. hope you like the two comparison photos.

Ok, I lied a little bit. I never did like my african mounted oryx. I liked the horns but noone can screw those up right..........

Oh wait, I lied again. They cut the horns off for shipping even though I requested them not to and paid the extra shipping for the larger container. Then when you get your mount back the horns sit nicely into a massive piled up epoxy base. Word to the wise. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, eeeeeeevvvvvvvvveerrrrrrrr, let an african mount your oryx!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom