OTC Bow Elk

NebrCatMan

Well, here it is...bow season is just around the corner. We are headed to Colo. to try our luck again. Kinda planned on GMU 62 but now am kinda thinking on a couple other areas. Anybody want to comment on GMU 17 south of Rand.... or some other OTC area in the general vicinity? Also looking at the NE part of GMU 18. We will be working out of a base tent camp. I am sure the elk will be in the black timber fairly high as it will be the first week of season. Don't want to climb really rough areas as I am in my late 50's and seem to be getting a bad knee.... (ok...I GOT a bad knee... addicted to cortizone) But I'll give it all I can and then some just to be out there!! Thanks in advance if anyone chimes in!!

Are you referring to the Never summer wilderness in 18? That is not going to be an easy hike/hunt for you if your knee is bad...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

I agree with mntman, 18 is tough and in all reality all of north park is rough on the knee due to the never summer mountains and all the beetle kill. Tons of down trees and millions of widow makers. It has good areas but it holds plenty of hunters. Like most areas private ground and the refuge holds most of the elk come the first hunting pressure.

I have seen elk everywhere in north park but it doesn't boast the best odds for success statistically speaking.

Brett

62 might be your choice. I hunted there a few years
back and although I didn't connect there was opportunity.
We were off the divide road and did get weather up there.
Good luck
Simo

>I agree with mntman, 18 is
>tough and in all reality
>all of north park is
>rough on the knee due
>to the never summer mountains
>and all the beetle kill.
> Tons of down trees
>and millions of widow makers.
> It has good
>areas but it holds plenty
>of hunters. Like most
>areas private ground and the
>refuge holds most of the
>elk come the first hunting
>pressure.
>
>I have seen elk everywhere in
>north park but it doesn't
>boast the best odds for
>success statistically speaking.
>
>Brett

Forgot to mention the beetle kill, that stuff is getting nastier every year as more and more trees fall down. Animals don't really need to use meadows anymore with the grass that's under that beetle kill. You need to get in there after them and then if you do get one hopefully it died on a trail...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Hey guys.... thanks for the comeback!!! Not for sure where we are going to make camp yet. Looking at 17 south of rand a lot but need to talk to the DOW biologist. 62 is always an option as we were in elk both times we were there. Guess I'll just keep calling a few people in Colo. and keep reading and surfing the webb. We'll find a place to pitch our home for a week or two some where. Anybody want to chip in on the full moon we will be having a week into elk bow season in Colo. Good or bad for hunting.... with the pre rut starting???

Unit 17 south of Rand... I usually see more moose than elk! :) The other guys are hitting the nail on the head. Beetle kill is definitely something to consider as the area was hit as hard as any a few years back. Herds of elk love the hay meadows where said meadows meet the forest, but most of that land is private. They can also be found at timberline or in the dark timber during archery, but getting there on a bad knee may not be easy. Also, be sure to check on road/trail closures. A couple of years ago the forest service closed our favorite trail and really screwed up our hunt.

I have heard good things about Independence Mountain north of Walden, and about unit 6 east of Walden, but have never hunted either location. But just like unit 17, beetle kill is prevalent.

Good luck wherever you decide to hunt.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom