OTC deer tag / backpack hunt

m_freeman

I am trying to determine the best OTC tag, backpack rifle hunt if my draws don't make it. I can take 2 weeks to get away, I have a jeep and am capable of backpacking 4-5 miles a day no problem (like to keep things comfortable). What tag would you guys take considering the described circumstances? A zone? B zone? Any specific OTC tag Wilderness areas that hold a deer herd?

LAST EDITED ON May-25-14 AT 06:16PM (MST)[p]B zones.....
Yolla Bolly wilderness. ..
Trinity Alps. ...
Marbles Mtn. ..
leave jeep home...message me for details. ..
access...pressure. questions.. what ever.
jester

I second the Yolla Bollas. Nice deer can be found well within 5 miles of the Rat Trap and North Yolla Bolla trailheads. I have also kilt a few around Mt. Linn. There will be some pressure, but if you're in the right spot, it wont matter. Other hunts that might fit your bill are behind locked gates in the Hayfork area of the B Zone. If you want to walk 2-3 miles in behind the gates, there are some clearcuts that can be pretty good, especially later in the season. Look at the south side of Hayfork Summit off Hwy. 3. Hoosimbim and Wells Mt. are GREAT! The north side of the summit is good too but gets more pressure. Good luck!---------SS

wow that was detailed...
I was going for lesser side!!
thanks for helping him SS..
and B zone is over counter and last year it filled
for 1ST time shortly after draw!
jester

I did a backpacking hunt for 9 days in the Trinity's around 20 years ago. Quite a few deer in there and you need to be in really good shape. I choose to pass numerous bucks waiting for a B&C class animal but never saw one. Most likely you would have to make two trips out if you got a buck. My base camp was 8 miles in.

B zone is the best OTC (public land) in the state. That does not mean that you can expect to punch a tag. The people that punch tag on a regulure bases hunt hard or are lucky to shoot one on the road or spot light one. Time in the mountains=success. Yolly Bollys are a great place, but dont expect to see many animals far from road. I only know of one person that can pack a buck and all their gear in one trip. expect to make two trips out. I pack in most years for multiple days with modest success. I fill my two tags most years, but nothing making book. the 80's you could be picky, but not so much now. It has taken me six hours to back a large buck out seven mile/3000 feet. That is what makes hunting an expereince not a trip to the store. Time in the woods will help you find the place and location where you can be successful on a regulure bases. work hard and dont give up.

Jester, shot you a PM also if you do not mind helping a Cali hunter out with a little info on the Yolla's! Thanks.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom