Other units for barbary!

muzzletim

I hunted the February season in 32, but as I understand you can hunt the rest of the season in other units. Are there Barbary in any of those units? Just curious if anyone hunts them.

I've been looking myself--I've seen barbary tracks and poop in some of the other units, so I know they're there, but I've never actually seen a barb outside of one of the draw units. Keeping expectations low, I think of it more like scouting for new potential deer units that I might apply for, as I see both species in pretty much the same areas down south. I just may find where that 200" buck has been hanging out, do a little shed hunting while I'm at it, and if I stumble across a barb while doing it, all the better...

I have not visually confirmed this yet, so I can't call it reliable. A guy from the RMEF told me there was some up around Largo canyon which is below Farmington. I think it's in 2C if I am correct. Like I said I haven't been there yet, it's just something I heard. To get there take US 550 north and catch the 403 at Counselor which takes you right there. At least that is how the map indicates. If anyone goes there and sees anything please let me know. ;)

I wanted to confirm that if I had a draw tag for this past Feb that I can use it for the OTC areas for all of 2013? Do I need to go in a trade it for another tag? Not quite sure how that works.

Thanks!
Justin

Proclamation spells out clearly: your draw tag is also valid in the OTC units listed. But regardless of where you hunt during the year, you can only kill 1 Barbary.

Your tag is good until March 31, 2013. After that you need next years tag which you will need to wait until the results come out to get unless you only want to hunt the OTC areas.

Cory

Directly from the 2012-13 proclamation:

Units 31, 32, 34, 36 and 37 from: Feb. 1-28, ?13 BBY-1-100 600 ES
and Units 2, 4-7, 9, 10, 12, 15, 17-18, 21, 25, 33, 38-59 from: April 1-March 31, ?13

Units 29 and 30 from: Feb. 1-28, ?13 BBY-1-101 600 ES
and Units 2, 4-7, 9, 10, 12, 15, 17-18, 21, 25, 33, 38-59 from: April 1-March 31, ?13

Just be sure you're in one of the listed units.

I have been looking over the Canadian canyon fairly often and have not seen one yet. There is a guy who leased a ranch over south of Farmington that supposedly could harvest 5 barbary per year per the lease. That tells me there are some, but with the size of the place and only allowing 5 tells me they are very spread out. They used to be fairly easy to find in numerous places around the state but have all but disappeared in the last 10 years except in a few units of the state. I wonder why!

I have also looked quite a bit myself on the Canadian looking for sheep without ever finding them. from talking to locals in the area they say all the sheep nowadays are on private in the area around wagon mound. I have heard of the sheep south of Farmington and recently watched a show where they were hunting them in cuba but have never actually seen one myself.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom