Out of Africa (pics and story)

D

DeerKing

The trip to Africa was amazing and I have to admit it far exceeded all my expectations. Most of the critters were not of trophy caliber but were all I was hoping for.... good representatives of each species and I was very happy with the outcome. We had a rocky beginning and the trip was in serious jeopardy of not happening, almost assured it would not at one point. Seems us boneheads were 24 hours late getting to the airport due to not reading the flight schedule properly. Can?t believe we all read it the same way several times (the wrong way) but we did (more to it than that but I won't go in to it). Couldn?t get on a flight that night we were late either, they were completely booked for several weeks. Long story short our travel agent returned my panicked call the next morning saying 3 people had just cancelled their flight leaving that night so she booked us in their spots. Really just a stoke of good fortune them fine people cancelled otherwise I'd be bitchin? about all the money we just blew but with no one to blame but ourselves. (Thanks Debbie at Custom Travel!!). The hunting portion of our trip was now cut short by 2 days, from 8 down to 6 days. Because of that I elected not to bring the muzzleloader. Kind of a downer but I figured there was a lot more to the trip than just hunting, and there was. After the hunt we spent 3 days in a few different cities taking in the sights, sounds and culture. Amazing places with some very interesting people. All in all it was the best vacation I've had and I know I will be going back, the place gets in your blood. The hunts themselves were much tougher than anticipated. You read about these canned type hunts in South Africa and I was not thrilled about that type of hunt, although I was not apposed to it. Truth be known we did hunt the impala on a 1200 acre high fenced place and that hunt was not much of a challenge, although still fairly exciting. Most of the other hunts were conducted on a 250,000 acre conservancy that was surrounded only by a 3 foot high goat fencing where game could come and go freely. I'm not a math major but I'm pretty sure 250,000 acres is pretty big :), more area than most of us hunt for deer and elk. The idea of hunting free roaming game was one of the biggest draws to that hunt and the place was not a disappointment.

Only mishap of the whole hunt happened sometime after shooting the gemsbok in the morning I banged up my scope really bad. Not sure when exactly it happened. That evening I had a monster Eastern Cape Kudu (53 inches give or take and inch) standing at 265 yards and missed badly. Obviously I didn't sleep well that night but was ready to go for impala in the morning. I chalked the miss up to kudu jitters. Two missed standing shots at impala less than 200 yards had me checking my 30-06. Thats when I saw the nasty gash in the front of the scope. Upon shooting at a 2 foot box at 100 yards and not connecting had me shelving the gun and switching to my brothers backup gun, a 270 Weatherby Magnum. It would later prove to be a good move. Day 5 of the hunt was coming to and end with the sun about 1 hour before going down and still no Kudu to show for the efforts. Thats when one of my tracker/skinners spotted a big kudu way up at the top of the hill... 491 yards of safety between us, giving us the eye. As luck would have it my PH was well versed in 270 ballistics and my brother had done lots of 400+ yard shooting and knew within and inch of where the bullet would hit at 500 yards. Between the 2 they both agreed I needed to shoot 8 inches above the back to hit him in the vitals. After finding a dead steady rest and making sure there was no wind I felt very confident I'd make a lethal shot. At the recoil I lost sight of the bull. I looked over at the trackers and they were jumping up and down yelling and laughing... which I took as a good thing. One of them gave me the hand flopping sideway signal and saying ?dead bull, very dead?. Amazingly he dropped in his tracks. Thats a memory I will remember the rest of my life. After 3 hard days of hunting for kudu I finally had the trophy I had come for.

Anyway, like I said the trip was amazing in all aspects and I look forward to the time I make another trip back. I absolutely hate flying but sometimes you got to make the sacrifice to do the things you love to do. A few pics of the trip are attached, hope you enjoy.

Wildebeast.jpg

Warthogs.jpg

KuduPeak.jpg

ZebraWaterbuck.jpg

Kind of a gruesome photo but....
BaboonDead.jpg

Enyalas.jpg

Sprinbokcomp.jpg

KuduDoe.jpg

KuduNarrow.jpg

KuduFeed.jpg

After realizing my scope was messed up on my gun I borrowed my PH's 375 for this critter. You never can have enough gun when chasing this kind of dangerous game :)
ImpalaMe.jpg

EleWalk.jpg

ElephEye.jpg

I have my wife to thank for this critter. She spotted this bull and a bigger cow coming around a bluff. He's a bit less than 33 inches but I was very happy with him.
GemsbokWife.jpg

Bushbuckcomp.jpg

My pride and joy of the hunt. The trackers did much more than I did to deserve him and thought they should be displayed prominently in the photo.
KuduCompgood.jpg

A beautiful sunset on the last evening of the hunt...
Sunset.jpg

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed.

AntlerQuest Hunt Consulting

Deerking,
That looks like a great trip, reminds me of me 1987 to SA. Congrats on all your animals, especially the bushbuck, he's a nice one!! Thanks for the pics!
Scott

As Always your pics leave me speechless.

Absolutely Incredible ! Sounds like you had an awesome time.

Glad all the little troubles worked themselves out and you got home safe.

Once again, love the pics.

Chris

UNBELIEVABLE photos Jeff!!! You da' man. Not only awesome trophies but very tasteful field photos that we've become accustomed to. Thanks for posting and congratulations.

BOHNTR )))---------->

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-05 AT 02:46PM (MST)[p]DK- absolutely awesome pic.'s in there...great editing too on a few of those photo's. Sounds like someone was watching over you, glad everything worked out and you got to go. Sounds like a great hunt despite the shortened stay... A big CONGRATS to you...just makes me JEALOUS...;-)

Ditto's.

I know I've already said it.

I'll say it again. Congrats to you, can't wait to hear the story in person.

T

DK.....

Congrats on the big oryx! looks massive! and the others critters! so cool and glad u made home safe with wife! with many memories! thanks for so cool pictures!!

vinihunt :)

I am just glad you made it after the itinerary mis-read. Great looking animals and of course the pictures are the best. Glad you had a great time......... Thanks, Allen Taylor......

Great stuff Mr. DK! Maybe you should change your handle to LongShooter, MonkeyBusiness, or ScopeBusters. Did the Omega come out of the case?

Ed

Nice pictures...

The kudu looks like a decent bull... Sucks about the miss on the monster! At least you got to shoot, if you'd have been packing the smoke pole you'd have just been looking at him whishing you had your rifle... ;)

Glad you had a great trip.

OUTSTANDING!! Best set of dead animal pics i've seen. the live ones are very nice to. You statement about the kudu trackers really tells what a class guy you are, your good fortunate could nt have happened to a better guy.

Great story! Great photo's! What's the story with the heads. Are they in transit? Do the cape's have to be tanned prior to entering the US?

Thanks again.

'It's all about the gut pile'

dk....you didn't tell us you were taking 'cass' with ya...i see you got a picture of him sneaking up on them wildebeest in the first pic...

Mr. Jeff,
Glad you lived your dream and had a great trip even with the unexpected difficulties..
Your taxidermist is gonna be busy for a long time.:)
Kudo's to you on sharing your experiences and great photo's once again.
Better build an extra high ceiling and a vast wall to accomodate your increasingly growing collection of trophies.
Give me a shout after you get settled and caught up on everything. Seen some impressive bucks around my new residence on the Western slope.
Best,
Jerry
[email protected]

Jeff, my jaw is on the floor. Wow what an experience! I think it is awesome that you got to experience Africa with your wife.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-05 AT 04:02PM (MST)[p]Sounds like a true adventure and awesome you could share it with the wife and brother!

I'm sure a few of your fans are wondering how the turtle hunting was? Looks like there may have been one sitting ontop of the monkeys head:) Missed the turtle, but the monkey took one for the team. You'll get 'em next time.

Glad your back and that you had a great time!

In the words of Jeff Spicolli; "AWESOME, TOTALLY AWESOME!!!"

Glad you had a good time, and the pics are amazing as always!

S.

:)

Great, Deerking! The photo of the guides with your trophy is a great photo and shows what kind of guy you are. You're certainly one of a kind.

Congrats...sometimes the hardest part of Africa is getting there, but you just have to go-with-the-flow. Now the ?? is "when are you going back"...LOL.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Great story and of course great pictures. Thanks and can't wait to hear more. Welcome home!

Steve

Jeff,
Thank you for sharing you trip with us.
As always, your photos allow us dreamers to think about the possibilities...
Congrats on a great trip.
dreams come true through hard work.
Harry

Great photos and story Jeff!! Congratulations on a your great adventure!!

Carl

Pretty damn cool. What are you going to do with the Baboon ? As impressive as all those animals are the Baboon is the best. Good job !

Welcome back Very nice pictures really like those with the background picture. You're living the life of Riley. Thanks for sharing so many great pictures.

Amazing, the anticipation to see your pictures, upon your return did certainly not disappoint one iota, as mentioned the bushbuck is awesome, I spent 2 & a half days in pursuit of those reclusive little suckers & never even saw a male specimen, kind of nice of you allowing us all to live vicariously through our good buddy's lens :)

Awesome DK, Congratulations on a once in a lifetime trip for most of us if that. Your a very fortunate man.

The pics with the trackers are absolutely the best I have
ever seen. To me, there would be no better place to hunt.

Congrats,

-Woodruffhunter

DK, that certainly had to be the trip of a lifetime. From your pics, you could be a poster boy for that travel agency, I'll tell ya. Those are most certainly beautiful critters (and photos) taken but best of all here I think are your words. I can tell your tone is different, and reflects how grateful you are for having experienced such a very unique and wonderful trip there with your wife and family. And that's what really makes a trip, not the critters, they're just icing on the cake.

But that said, on top of it all......a 491 yard shot on a Kudu!! All I can say to this post is a straight up WOW and of course, welcome back home!

What'd I tell you. If ya go there once, you'll always have to go back. Was it everything I said it was going to be??

Good to see you had a great trip. Lucky dog! Now I only have 13 more months to wait for my 3rd time round!!

Give me a shout....

---Scottyboy---

Thanks for all the nice words, glad you enjoyed some of the pictures from the trip. I'm thankful my wife and brother were there to share such a memorable trip as well, without them it wouldn't have been the same.

SneakAttack
The skins have to be dried, fumigated, inspected and crated. Will be about 9 months before they make it to the states. Long wait.... but will give me time to save some taxidermy money :)

BFE
Got a bit lucky on the bushbuck.... and again I have my wife to thank for it. We were glassing kudu in some thick brush and my wife spotted the little critter and a female feeding in a small opening. An extremely downhill 158 yard shot did the trick. He was only one of two males we saw. I may have to rent my wife out.... for spotting purposes only :)

Congrats. Those are some of the best pics I think I have ever seen on the site. Incredible.

Jeff, it looks like the experience of a lifetime, Congrats!!!! Great photos.....Steve

Jeff,

Congrats on a successful trip. You did some some awesome camera work. With those pics it makes me want to go now.

Later,
IB

Great story Jeff. Glad it worked out for you guys. I can't see the pics here but will check em out from home. Glad your back.

Yelum

Never given hunting Africa much thought til I looked at your post, how inspiring. UNBELIEVABLE! Excellent photos! Looks like you had a great time.

Jeff,

You are the man......Truly Outstanding Pictures, Animals,and a True Sportsman.

Could you tell us what camera you used?

Can't wait to hook up with you in Colorado next season.

How about going with me on my Mt Dutton Archery elk hunt this year and being my camera man? You are the best!

Alan

Jeff, Great pictures and story. I'm glad you had a great and sucessful time!!

WOW, great pics, story, and animals. I second the notion for your pictures to be in the outfitters brochures. My jaw dropped when I saw the first picture. The sharpness, and clarity of those pictures is stunning. Thanks for sharing it with us.

(how much for the wife? :) )

buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

DK,

Congrats on a super adventure. Thanks for sharing the pictures. They are quality all the way. And a special congrats to your wife for being such a super spotter. I'm going scouting for a big muley this weekend. Do you have that rental fee set yet; I can always use a good set of eyes.

Hey im still looking for sheep I could use her eyeballs for a weekend too...lol
Nice pics !!! Glad you had a good trip, I was there in '02 and had an unbelievable experience as well. I don't know of anyone that has been there that doesn't want to go back again. Gary

Jeff,

I am glad your hunt was everything you thought it would be and more. The story is great and the pics were even better. Talk to you later,

Drum

Great photos, thanks for sharing. Africa is still the best deal going! And if you go once, you will figure out how to go again! And again, and again!

Thanks again guys, glad you enjoyed the pics of something other than the Colorado critters I post.

Elkslayer
I'm using the Panasonic Lumix FZ10, the baby brother to the FZ20 many guys here are using. I had the pictures developed yesterday and they turned out sweeeeeeeet.

To those that asked
Price is negotiable on the wife or I may be open to a swap hunt :)

WAY TO GO JEFF!!!

HUNT OF A LIFETIME FOR SURE!!!

PLEASE SEND PIC'S OF YOUR WIFE!!!(JUST KIDDING!!!)

I'M SURE I'LL NEED HER TO FIND A DECENT BUCK THIS FALL!!!

I JUST CAN'T SEEM TO FIND WHATS NOT THERE,MAYBE SHE COULD HELP???

LOOKS LIKE YOU HAD A GREAT HUNT!!!

COULD OF BEEN WORSE,I KNOW A GUY THAT SHOWED UP AFTER THE HUNT WAS OVER,NOT JUST A DAY LATE!!!

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING DEERKING'S PICTURES ARE THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE ANIMAL ITSELF!!!

Glad to see you upgraded to a .270 Weatherby Mag! Were there many hidden cost on the trip? I have heard that all the extras can sometimes get exspensive over there.
Also, great pics!

Glad to have you back Jeff!
Congratulations on a successful hunt and safe trip.
Thank you for the awesome photo, that first edited one with the Impala (I think) in front of the Rhino's.........wow, awesome!
Thanks for the story and photos, and welcome back!

Lien2

Warren
No hidden costs, was an all inclusive type hunt. Critters above and beyond the package were ala carte and you could pick and choose what you wanted depending on the wad of green in your pocket. Only cost that wasn't predetermined was how much you wanted to tip your trackers/skinners and PH.

Could have shot a Zebra but chose not to. Chose not to shoot many critters... gotta save something for next time. My brother did shoot one though. Neat looking critters up close.

Glad you had a great time. Thanks for the great pics as always.
Someday...someday...

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

Looks like you had an awesome trip, like I said Africa gets in your blood when I was there I didn't get to hunt but next time I go back I'll have a rifle. Great pics those brought back some good memories of my time there.

DeerKing, keep in touch with your taxidermist over there. I thought our trophies had been sent to Cape Town back in December, but just found out they had been sitting in a warehouse in Namibia for six months. I guess a permit to send the capes from Namibia to South Africa had been misplaced and the taxidermist forgot to check. My zebra skin has already been tanned and I hope it is on its way. I had it sent directly from Namibia to save on cost.
To call over there I have to phone around midnight here.
I had such a great safari and I plan to go back someday.

DK
I was there 11 years ago but never captured the feel of the hunt like you did. OUTSTANDING photography and congrads on some nice trophies. Now I gotta look at the pictures again!

DK
as mentioned early them are some amazing photos! Do you have an online album somewhere with more pics from the trip?

Great pics Jeff as always...still looking forward to getting together and meeting you...BTW, a good friend of mine went to Africa in 10/03 and he's still waiting on his "taxi" work...springbok, gemsbok, warthog, kudu, & zebra...big bill but I'm sure it's worth it...and to emphasize other comments, that 'boon is wicked.

Congratulations Jeff!! I'm just now seeing your post for the first time, I didn't realize you'd already been back for a week. The trip sounds amazing, and the pictures sure make it look amazing too. I really liked the elephant photo. Congratulations on the Kudu, and what sounds like a really impressive shot.
Glad to hear the trip went so well despite the mishap at the start, and glad to hear you are back safe to chase some Colorado critters around.
David

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom