OUTBACK LODGE/KIFARU TIPI

NORKALNIMROD

A couple of questions:
1. Has anyone out there tried to add a woodstove to the Cabela's Outback Lodge?
2. Does anyone have any experience with the Kifaru Tipi system?

Any info would be greatly appretiated!
Norkalnimrod

if i could afford the kifaru i would use it but since i cant, i am developing a tipi style tent for the poor guy. it will have a built in stove jack and resemble the kifaru tipi. i will make it out of tarp material with vents for it to breath. it will be a fraction of the cost of the kifaru. i will post pictures as soon as my proto is finished.

Be careful with the tarp material as it requires a larger stove jack than canvas. Good luck! I look forward seeing piks.
Norkal

i got materials coming and the design layout for a 11 foot diameter tipi with an 8 foot center pole. stove jack is in the works and i just started on a little stove. i will be building the stove out of a steel coffee can. it only allows for small pieces of fuel but i am building this for the lightweight crowd. once i get it all built and setup i will post a bunch of pics. stay tuned!

DJ, I've got the lodge. You're welcome to set it up. I think the material is too light for a stove. Afraid even if you cut a hole and used an insulation material around your jack, the heat from the top of the stove would melt the material.

Great stove for packing in with but unless you have a full pack string and can haul a real wall tent, you aren't gonna have wood heat.

The material on the sides of my cook shack (Real lite?) or whatever would work for a lighter weight, horse packable tent that you could put a wood stove in. The Alaknak was designed for a wood stove and we packed that in. A Alaknak and stove take at least half a horse (bulky). These days of $180.00-250.00 a ton hay, not sure when I'm gonna expand my stock. Hunter

Hunter,
I picked up a lodge, same as your's that we used at Blue Lake a few years back. Have used it a couple of times during the past couple of months. I agree with you in regard to the material being to light. I was just wondering if anyone had tried to set one up for a stove. If you get the chance go to kifaru tipis on the web. If I had an extra grand laying around (Hey, maybee I should as medical for some chump-change)I would buy one just to check it out!
DJ

i got the tipi and stove up and here are some pictures...
100_2249.jpg

100_2251.jpg

100_2252.jpg

100_2253.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-08 AT 05:30AM (MST)[p]i usually leave the center pole at home and cut a pole once i get to my campsite. i just finished my second one and it turned out better than the one in the picture. i can build them out of any lightweight fabric too. i dont see why kifaru charges so much. 900 dollars is a little spendy.
www.wyominglostandfound.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom