Outback Outfitters - Wenaha. References?

robinsg61le

Thank you all for your help.

I have been in touch with Outback Outfitters regarding an elk hunt into the Wenaha. They seem like an upstanding business, but I want to make sure before I get more serious about forking over thousands of dollars. I've never been on a guided hunt and this will likely be the only guided hunt I ever get to go on. I've been saving for this hunt for years.

What can any of you tell me? I know that no outfitter is perfect, but are there bad experiences with these folks that I should be aware of?

The head outfitters are Ken and Jon Wick of Joseph, OR.

Thanks again.

I've not hunted with Jon but I know folks that have - none better when it comes to finding the biggest bulls we have in Oregon. Many years he has the raffle tag winners as clients. Never heard anything bad about him. He knows that country.

I am assuming you are talking Oregon side of the Wenaha? Are you hoping to draw a tag or did Jon get an outfitter tag this year? nwhunter

Are you going to draw out. How many points do you have? Archery or rifle?

HK

I have never hunted with Jon but I have talked with him and have seen the bulls his clients have killed and know how much time he spends/lives in the Wenaha I would say that it would be hard to find someone better who is licensed to be in there to guide your hunt. If you want to kill a big bull and don't have the time or critters to get into the backcountry it will be worth the money if you have it.Good luck in the draw.nwhunter

>13 points. rifle. From talking with
>Ken, he believes I'll have
>a 50/50 chance this year
>and %100 draw next.
Looking at the website "Oregon Tag Draw Percentages" a resident with 13 points has a 2% chance of drawing Wenaha rifle in 2010!Good luck in the draw!
David

Here is what the draw is looking like for residents in 2010.

There are 13 residents with 14 points-100% draw

There are 58 residents with 13 points-2% draw

I wouldn't be planning for this hunt next year, in fact it could take up to another 4 years to draw the tag.

Rich

LAST EDITED ON Feb-02-10 AT 10:42PM (MST)[p]You forgot the point savers.....

8 with 16 points
31 with 15 points
80 with 14 points

I sure did, it doesn't matter how many points it took to get the tag last year, it is how many tom, ##### and Harry's are in front of you or have the same amount of points. It's like chasing a ghost unless you have all the information and understand the system.

Rich

There was a article in the Feb. huntin fool magazine of a hunter that drew the raffle tag last year. It sounded like Jon Wicks was a big help and a down to earth guy. I don't think the hunter hired Jon, but Jon still steered him in the right direction, very cool.

Jon is the one to use for elk. Thats for sure. Super nice guy too. Hunted bears with him a few times and had a great time. You need to be in good shape to keep up with him. I think he is part mountian goat.

Wicks are the only guides licensed for the Wenaha Wilderness area, so they kill the best Bulls. Be aware with anyone else selling that tag, they don't/can't get a USFS Wildernes permit!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-10 AT 08:42PM (MST)[p]quote:wapitibob : You forgot the point savers.....

8 with 16 points
31 with 15 points
80 with 14 points

man that will really shake things up! my points are looking more and more like a pile of $#@%:)

but it's ok, i have a backup plan:)

I did a drop hunt with John and they were great to deal with I know he spends a ton of time scouting that area and has been pretty successful. I know of one guy who killed a 360 bull with him and it was a hunt of a life time.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

Back
Top Bottom