Outdoorsman Tripod

out4elk

I stopped by the Outdoorsman booth at the expo and was looking at their tripods. I have a Swaro ATS 65 and I am looking for a good tripod. The Swaro booth actually sent me down to the Outdoorsman.

After looking at their medium tripod legs and pistol grip head I nearly bought them on the spot. I really liked their stuff. Have any of you used these tripods and if so what is your review.

?Here?s to the hero's that Git-R-Done!!?

I've used the pistol grip for several years not. They build very high quality stuff and stand behind it.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-11-08 AT 11:12AM (MST)[p]You can a LOT better tripod and head for the money those guys are getting. Look at Bogen/Manfretto. They make a pistol grip head that is way better than the outdoorsman. The outdoorsman is way too overpriced IMO.

I love my Manfrotto.

Timberline
479e683e07df5b74.jpg

"Live for somethin' or die for nothin'"

have used the Original Outdoorsman tripod for several years know,with the Jim White Head.Also many of my friends,after looking through this setup,have purchased the same.There is a reason the "Outdoorsman" cost more ???

It's a great tripod. Lightweight, but sturdy, top end components. I recommend the pan-tilt head for a spotting scope over the pistol grip. . . Manfrotto makes decent tripods, but they are not as good as the outdoorsman in this size range. . . you do get what you pay for. . .

Best light weight most durable hunting tripod on the market. I own the medium tripod with the outdoorsman pan head. Buy it and never look back. If you want to put your binos on a tripod they have the best bino adapter system on the market.

Manfrotto's are good if you aren't to far from the truck.

Mike

I had the Outdoorsman pistol grip head and did not like it. I sold it after a couple hunts. It just wasn't as good for doing a grid pattern when glassing as a good pan head. It was nicely made and worked as it should. I just don't like pistol grip heads. I'd like to get the Jim White pan head but need to save some money. I currently use an older Bogen 3160 pan head that's a bit on the heavy side (a bit over 1 lb) but works fantastic. My tripod of choice is the Slik Carbon Fiber 713 which is about half the price of the Outdoorsman, goes up as high, is lighter and just as sturdy. I've had mine for 5 years with no problems at all. $219.00 at B&H photo. The outdoorsman makes great products but are a bit pricey. I think the Slik Carbon Fiber tripods are a great value. I've used the Outdoorsman tripods side by side and there's little difference. Why pay more?

I have used the Outdoorsman tripod and they are excellent. They are expensive but are very well made, and will last a lifetime. If it fits what you want to use it for, you will be very happy with the quality of their product.

I have been very happy with everything I have purchased from Outdoorsman.

I recently bought the SLIK Carbon Fiber 613, put a very light manfrotto ballhead on it and use the outdoorsman scope and binocular attachment (very best in my opinion). This combination was cheaper, lighter, and took less room in my pack. I have used it with the same scope you have as well as my 15's, and camera.

No more than a second option, can't say it is better then the outdoorsman stuff.

I use a Manfrotto/Bogen 3221 pod, with a 3030 head on my Leica 77. It's heavy....but steady as a rock even in a descent breeze.

I looked into a lighter pod simply to reduce the weight, but after talking to others who have done this it defeated the purpose of having such a good set up because lighter is less steady.

My solution was to use the big Leica set up for glassing LONG distances, then when i went in for a kill with a client, i slap on a smaller lighter Nikon Elite scope but still have the solid legs under me.

It's proved to be nothing short of spectacular!!

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

Mine is one of the best hunting investments I've made, next to my 15 X 56 Swaros. I have the Outdoorsman's head on the medium tripod.

I highly recommend the Outdoorsmans tripod but would like to suggest looking at thier small sized tripod. You have the angled spotting scope like I do and when you are sitting on your butt on the ground you want to be able to fit the tripod between your legs or one leg of the tripod over your leg. This set up works great if you hike up and are mostly looking down and works almost equally as good when looking up the mountain. The Outdoorsmans salesman tried to sell me the medium sized tripod and even suggested going to the straight scope but don't do it. The small tripod with the angled scope is primo as a hiking set up and very lightweight. If your not back pack hunting then stick with the Bogen because the extra weight of the big tripod will definitely keep the scope steady. If your gonna be sitting in a chair while glassing then you might want the medium or large sized tripod. I back packed the bogen around for several years and won't do it again. When I got my Outdoorsmans tripod I thought I was in heaven. I now owne two small sized Outdoorsmans tripods, one with the pistol grip and one with the pan head. In my opinion the Outdoorsmans pistol grip is superior to the bogen pistol grip which is very heavy. I cannot comment on the Slik but have always heard good things about them. Remember, when you go to buy your tripod put your scope on the medium and then the small tripods and try them out in every position as if you are glassing up hill, down hill, straight accross, etc. Hope this helps. fatrooster.

Thanks guys, great reviews

Definately expanded my options, now to test the other tripods out.

?Here?s to the hero's that Git-R-Done!!?

funny. I just dropped the coin on the medium outdoorsmans at the show on Saturday. I intend to beat mine to death and put the Outdoorsmans guarantee to the test! My set-up now is: Swaro 15x56, outdoorsmans medium tripod, small Bogen ball head with quick disconnect, small spotter with quick connect plate in my pack. (Another quick dic-connect on my window mount in the truck) I am excited to try it out. I am going to try to use it as a walking/shooting stick with my 15's attached most of the time. I tried the pistol grip heads as well and I still prefer a good ball head.

Manfrotto's are the best tripods i have ever used and they are for sure worth the money. Between me and my dad we own 4 of them some for High country pack in hunts and some for just driving around looking for deer.

Jake

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom