outdoorsman vs slik tripod

vballhuntr

If price really isn't the issue (as long as my wife dosen't find out) which tripod would you buy, a outdoorsman medium w/the pistol grip head or a slik 713 with some other head or would the outdoorsmans pistol grip head work with the slik. I am making a last second purchase before my sheep hunt next week and am going crazy trying to make the decision, any input would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Not that this is the answer you're looking for but try a search with "Slik" and "Outdoorsmans" throughout this forum as these two tripods (and others) have been discussed quite often. Seems like each of them are well liked by their owners. I've been leaning toward the Slik / Jim White head combo but can't seem to decide on the 613 or 713 model until I see them first hand. (Not to hijack your thread but...) the deciding factors are going to be whether I think the 713 is too big to backpack with as well as how well I think the 613 will support a Swarovski ATS80 spotting scope.

Might also try searching thru the discussion forum on the following website: http://www.coueswhitetail.com as those guys area really serious about their glassing.

I've probably replied the most to this tripod issue and personally own the 713 as well as sevaral heavier Bogens. The 613 will be too light for the large spotting scopes at full height. If you're going to use the tripod at a lower height it should do just fine. And yes the Outdoorsman pistol grip will work with just about any tripod. You might need to get this little 3/8" to 1/4" thread adapter available at any camera shop or the Outdoorsman. I purchased the Outdoorsman pistol grip head and sold it after the first time in the field. It cramped my hand after hours of use and didn't pan very well. I guess I was too use to using my Bogen 3160 pan head. The 3160's a bit heavy but an awesome, smooth head. I will probably buy the Jim White head down the road to lighten my load. I have friends with both the Outdoorsman and the Slik and putting money aside they are both very nice tripods. I think we all lean a bit towards the Slik though. I don't think that by spending more on the Outdoorsman you are getting any better a tripod. My 2 cents worth.

I am looking for a backpack tripod. I have looked at a few carbin fiber spotting scopes. The question of standing verses sitting on a log or rock etc. I know after an hour of standing I like to sit on a hill side.

Are any of these two a carbon fiber model?

A rock sack attached to the three legs can supply the needed weight for a light packing tripod. Need stiff legs on the tripod, which is what I did not find on the Slik Sprint.

I bought a slik pro and a Jim White panning attachement from Jim. It is light but shaky at full extension. Comes down to weight versus steady. Which do you value more?

The Slik Pro 713 is a carbon fiber tripod. It comes with a pouch that attaches to the three tripod legs so you can put rocks in to help stabilize it.

Hooked on coues...which Slik pro did you purchase? I agree that just about any tripd at full extension is more shakey than down low. I have a Bogen 3001 BN that is more stable than the Slik Pro 713 but also weighs almost 2 pounds more. You are correct when you say..."Which do you value more?" I find that the Slik Pro 713 is stable enough in most conditions with my 15x56's. Even my Bogen gets shakey in high winds when at full extention.

Doug, I have the Slik Sprint Pro also and it's definitely way more shakey than the Slik Pro 713. I still use it when I'm going a long ways in.

I bought a Manfrotto 785SHB Modo Mini Photo-Video Grip Head Tripod that weighs under two pounds. It has a quick release for the scope and is stable. Not super excited by the hybrid joystick as it is a little short but works ok. A good value at around $80-90.

http://www.vistek.ca/details/details.aspx?WebCode=232847&CategoryID=Tripods

Ed

46d476226e1f3c28.jpg

Keep in mind that Slik tripods are made to support video gear.....much heavier than any spotter you are going to use, so they are very stable all the way up.

My personnal experience with the pistol grip is not good, for the cost, when your hands are cold and stiff, it gets hard to move evenly. But I am old and been using the basic style a long time.

I have a friend who has hooked a servo from a RC toy truck to his Bogen and now he never takes his hands out of his pockets....he's old too.

Obviously I ain't addressing packing these things. My shooting stick / walking stick / camera stick / snake stick .........., has a 1/4" stud so I simply switch all my toys back and forth. Braced against a rock or tree it works fine. LEKI "Photo" model.....18" collapsed.

Pugsie

I have the sprint pro. It was half the cost of the carbon fiber and seemed just as steady. Nowhere near as stable as a Swarovski or Bogen, but I would not pack one of the nice ones more than a ridge anyway.

Life is a trade off.

I am a bit biased since I work with the Outdoorsmans but here are my thoughts: I have three Bogens from the monster down to the 3205 and I have the medium and tall Outdoorsmans models. I do alot of digiscoping with a STS-80 scope and a Rebel XT camera, this is alot of weight on a tripod! I have found the Outdoorsman to be more stable in all but the worst wind (30+MPH) because the tolernces on the leg joints are much tighter. If you look closely at the joints you will see a bunch of "play" in the Bogens that you won't see in the Outdoorsmans. I am working on a way to add more wieght to the Outdoorsman in the field, maybe a cloth piece the attaches to all three legs that you can throw a fiew rocks into.

The other advantages of the Outdoorsman models is durablitity and warranty. Every piece on the Outdoorsman tripod is machined here in the US from aluminum. There are no plastic levers to break. Even if you manage to break something the Outdoorsmans will fix it. They won't give you a new one because they actually build them and can fix them. I know there is a difference in price but the Outdoorsman tripod won't break down on you and will still be hunting with you 10 years from now.

I can't comment on the specific Slik models since I have not used either of them.

I sure like my Outdoorsman med.with a pair of 15x56 Swaros. Light, durable, simple. The pistol grip w/ball & socket works for me. One pull of the trigger and you have instant 3 axis turning. Panning is not as smooth but if you're glass correctly you are only moving the optics in very short increments and then moving your eyes in the field of view. The dovetailed fittings are very nice to switch different optics on & off quickly.

Also, there is no "hunting" tripod that will not shake a little when the wind blows hard enough.

You can always add Jim White panning attachment to the pistol grip head and get perfect left/right movement.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom