Outfitter Draw Question

shedneck

I'm looking for recommendations for reputable outfitters who offer the option for a non-resident to apply for the guided draw Elk tags, but only charge for the two days that a guided draw tag hunter must hunt with the guide. I am looking for one who does not exclude the Gila. Thank you for any information you can provide.

I appreciate the reply, but they exclude the Gila units (most of them at least) from the "minimal" service that I'm looking for.

look you got to be realistic here. So your asking to apply with an outfitter to get a tag for the Gila or else where and you only want to be guided for 2 days so you can do a DIY hunt for the rest of the hunt (you are just crazy) if you think they are going to take you to their honey holes and then leave you on your own. so you can exploit there hard work.
I work my ass off trying to find the best places for myself to hunt and my clients and just to give up that kind of info is just Ludacris. I don't even take friends and family to some spots (YES I'M AN ##### YOU CAN ASK ANYONE) bit I don't care, I have had and still have friends F me over after showing them good spots, and I'll tell you why
A number of years back someone close to me asked me for some info on where to hunt elk on my neck of the woods, so I gave him some of my honey holes but asked that he didn't tell or show any one else. well he killed on the first evening a nice bull too. So he thought that he would be Mr. I'm big and bad and show one of his so called friends that he knew the area really good. So he showed someone else and they killed out also, on a bigger bull than his. then he showed someone else. Now its like a frekin zoo with people I've never seen before. These are places that my family have hunted for years. Now frek me I don't even hunt for elk in that unit anymore just cuz of that. So when you ask for advise for a unit don't expect much. Sure there are some fellow sportsmen (myself included that will help out but be realistic about it)
I hope you and everyone else understand I love to hunt and show other people what I have to offer. but I have asked for advise also but didn't just put it out for everyone else either. I cherish the advise others give to me and hold it to my self unless they give out that advise to others that's there business but not me.

Hunt Hard
Live Free
RIP

LAST EDITED ON Jan-29-18 AT 10:13PM (MST)[p]There's always someone who makes assumptions and draws unreasonable conclusions. It's normally coupled with a jab or two - like calling someone "crazy." You added nothing of value to that thread.

My inquiry has nothing to do with wanting someone to show me their "honey holes." The law allows a person to draw a tag in the outfitter pool and it requires guide and hunter to spend only two days together in the field. If I booked a 5 day hunt with an outfitter and then hunted 5 more days on my own, am I equally as ridiculous as you think? Why is two days different? Should someone in that situation expect the outfitter to keep the hunter out of some spots because the hunter could later return and hunt it on his/her own? Is that how you operate? Please share the name of the business you guide for or own. It would be a pleasure to know about.

I hunted the Gila. Amazing place. I had very generous people on this Forum who provided pointers. None of which I solicited. I had at least three days of scouting and 5 days of hunting. If someone needs a "honey hole" in the Gila to find elk they are in trouble. Me and my buddies did it all and I have a beautiful bull to show for our hard work.

If the outfitter is concerned about me stealing spots - which you obviously stake some sort of claim to - then his or her guide can ride in my truck and follow me into where I want to hunt for two days. I'll cook, I'll provide camp. I'll share my whiskey. Never have needed anyone for any of that and I certainly don't need a guide to show me where elk are and how to harvest one.

I fell in love with the Gila and I am making it a goal to hunt as often as possible. I'm not sorry that you think following New Mexico law to better my chances of drawing is so absurd. I guess we could talk about the absurdity of that law in the first place, but I'm not trying to invite more insult.

Here's an olive branch - hopefully to cure the grumpiness too - if you need or want recommendations or help in Nevada, I'd be more than happy to help you out without any name calling anduseless comments.

By the way, some outfitters must not share your same opinion. I've found plenty who offer the service I'm looking for.

See ya in the Gila one day.

Freaknasty? I tend to agree with you. The semi-guided option for the draw makes it pretty tough given that the really good spots are so hard to find!! Game and fish is really trying to sock it to the non-residents by requiring a guide for minimally better draw odds.

In my opinion, as a resident, the entire set aside of guided, banquet tags, and landowner tags really needs to be looked at closer. But that is a much different discussion that has been discussed before! This poor guy just wants to draw a permit! I love hunting states outside of New Mexico and hate how the other states keep jacking up tag prices and setting more limited quotas on non-residents!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom