Outfitter drop hunt for elk and draw odds

bigonedown

Okay maybe a dumb question but I could not find the answer. A buddy and I are thinking about trying to find a outfitter willing to take us in for a drop camp hunt and game pick up at the camp. I do not want to go guided just get into a area a little further than I could pack in on foot and also pack out an elk by ourselves. If we do this does this get us into the elk guided draw or still the same odds as unguided?

Probably a dumb question ready for the comments!

Thanks

Brandon

LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-14 AT 02:47PM (MST)[p]

You will be in the guided side of the draw, but as a caveat, you need to spend time directly with the Outfitter or designated guide over 2 days.
There is no specific time called out in the regs so your ride in should constitute one "day" and the ride out should fulfill the 2nd "day", if the hunt is still active. If not, you might need to spend a 2nd day with the outfitter or guide. Jim or one of the other outfitters should know specifics. There is no specific time specified in the rule to allow NM outfitters to provide traditional drop camps.
You will need a signed contract prior to the draw to comply also.

Very good, I appreciate your help. We are checking into the Gila area if you know nay reliable outfitters that are willing to do drop camps.

Thanks,

Brandon

short answer is it can get you in the Outfitter pool but does not automaticlly get you in the pool. It depends on the agreement you have with the Outfitter. You can apply in the non outfitted pool and see if you draw, then hire a outfitter. No contracts or deposits needed until you have an agreement with outfitter, But you do have to have a signed contract to get in the outfitted pool. Hope this helps.

You should beware because some outfitters don't even understand the guidelines and must be willing to give you 100% assurance you can apply with their guide #. Some are wishy washy.

Member RMEF, Pope & Young Club, NRA, UWC & DP Hate Club

A standard drop camp would not qualify for the semi guided option.

My understanding of a drop camp is they have a tent and supplies set up for you or pack in yours.

There are other requirements for the semi guided option that could be covered if that is what you are looking for. The outfitter should have a good understanding of them.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom