Outfitter recommendation

joesikora

Long Time Member
Has any one used Shane Scott Outfitters before?
I have chatted back and fore via email with him. Would like to see if anyone has used him or knows of him.

Thanks for your time
Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
think their right" - 2001
"I can't argue with honesty" - 2005
-Joe E Sikora

So Joe are you telling us you drew a elk tag ? I believe this is Shane first year in business as Shane Scott Outfitters. So you may not get many comments back. He was with HTO in the past.

Hi BIGJOHNT
No, if I would have drawn everyone on here would have known already LOL!
The reason I was asking I was thinking of drawing for an antlerless tag this year and maybe needing some help. Who is HTO?

Thanks for your time
Joe

-Joe E Sikora

I take it that your handle comes from Rio Bravo?

Joe

-Joe E Sikora

If your looking for help on a cow hunt in the central part of Utah. I think Shane would be a good guy to help you out.
Some of these young guys may not know what you are talking about with the name ? But it is my real name and I am a fan of the Duke. Can you guess the name of my rifle ?

Hi BIGJOHNT
I'll say Big Jake on the rifle

Joe

-Joe E Sikora

shane is a great guy and very knowledgeable. he was a guide and outfitter for high top outfitters for a long time. as the website says hes successfully outfitted over 200 hunts since 2007.check out the website and facebook page. www.shanescottoutfitting.com

Very cool JT,
Something tells me we are close in age.
September 4th 1961 here!
America was so happy I was born they declared it a National Holiday! LMAO!

Joe

-Joe E Sikora

RE: Outfitter recommendation t

Ha ha !

Joe

-Joe E Sikora

Joe,

I too have been looking at outfitters and have narrowed it down to two, Wade Lemon and HTO.
I did speak with someone from Shane Scott Outfitting but when i started digging I learned that Shane has guided very few hunts himself and the 200 he claims to have outfitted he just assisted with the booking and assigning of the guides. Out of the guides that he does have very few of them have ever guided someone other then family and friends and this is their first year guiding. From what i was able to find out Matt Rhinehart would be the only one that i would probably consider. I did hear that Matt is pretty hot headed from some other hunters that had a run in with him on the San Juan but they said he was a hard hunter.

If you need more info feel free to send me a PM

joey11 sent you a PM

Thanks brother
Joe

-Joe E Sikora

HTO all day long. If it is a central Utah tag him and his guides are second to none. They have been doing it a long time and are very hardworking and very dedicated.

What big game did he shoot out of season in July? Did he have a client?

It doesn't say the offence was committed in July, just that he plead guilty in July 2011, for a crime committed sometime before that. Doesn't say specifically what he did other than take an animal illegally.
Looks like he had his hunting license suspended in 2012 and his guide/ outfitter privileges suspended in 2014. Apparently all for the same offence committed prior to 7-2011.

It's an interesting story. I go on guided hunts and it's always a crap shoot trying to find a good one. You can talk to references that say an outfitter can walk on water and when you get there they can be totally incompetent or in this case have been convicted of criminal acts.

I would always be wary of asking one outfitter or there employees about another outfitter. They usually bad mouth each other pretty good.

Would be interesting to know what the actual offence was.

Shane
Helped me with a hunt 5 years ago with a Fishlake Bull tag. He was with HTO at that time. I would highly recommend him. He is no beginner at this.

utarchery, can you tell me who all the old HTO guides are that work for Shane? From the info i gathered there were not very many that went with him. My info is not coming from HTO my info is coming pretty much from Shane himself. He has posted all of his guides on his website and on social media. if you do enough digging on social media you can find almost anything you want to know. The guides that i talked with from HTO actually spoke well about Shane and didnt say a bad word about him so i dont think i am getting information from a bitter guide.

Also I have read the case against HTO and after discussing it with one of HTO guides i would still consider hunting with HTO.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-15-15 AT 10:06PM (MST)[p]That's interesting that Utah Archery would post up that dopl link, in that both of the guides that caused that offense went with Shane and are working under Shane's license. On a side note, let it be known that most of the harvested animals pictured on Shane's website were animals High Top Outfitters helped harvest which he took with him in the break up. Give anyone at Hightop a call anytime, all are great guys.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-15-15 AT 11:06PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-15-15 AT 10:43?PM (MST)

utarchery. You should really do your due diligence researching a topic that could end up reflecting badly on who I suspect is your employer. So lets be fair here since you readily posted the action against HTO, lets look at SSO. The two guides who were involved in the case along with the HTO outfitter also have opon actions with DOPL. In fact, these were the two that were actually on the Mountain when the incident happened while the owner was at work. These two guides are some of the few who made the jump to Shane Scott Outfitting and are listed on Shane Scott Outfitting website.
Here ya go!
http://dopl.utah.gov/orders/2014-230_SO_2014-05-21.pdf
http://dopl.utah.gov/orders/2014-270_SO_2014-06-13.pdf

So I guess here is Shane Scott Outfitting for ya???? (That statement compliments of utarchery)

The whole case in my opinion was a crock of crap. A simple MISTAKE by both the guides and the owner who were all under the impression that the season ended on the day they ended up harvesting the animal.

As for bitter guides? All of the HTO guides I have talked with have been respectful to Shane, as will I. He is a good guy and an AMAZING salesman! But lets keep things fair.....

And my apologies joesikora. I realize you were simply looking for info on an outfitter. I just felt obligated to weigh the information on this post evenly and fairly! Congratulations on your tag! I'm sure you will have a blast this fall regardless of who you choose! Happy Hunting!

I always find it interesting when folks jump into the fray in these type of debates but then block their own mm profiles. My guess is that some of these folks, especially those who just created new profiles to post on this thread, are personally involved in this dispute. Maybe I am old fashioned but I believe that if you are going to criticize another person or business then you should be willing to stand up and own those comments. I am not a fan of criticizing others anonymously.

I don't have any first hand information about HTO or Shane Scott. However, I have seen Shane Scott post on this forum and offer valuable assistance and information to people looking for help. I have also seen folks associated with HTO (e.g., Taylor Albrecht) do the same. Good luck joesikora.

-Hawkeye-

BIGJOHNT
I decided I'll wait until next year to draw for a cow tag, that is, if I don't draw a bull tag.
Lefty94,
No worries these things usually happen.
Thanks for all the info.

Your friend
Joe

-Joe E Sikora

I do not know shane , but if he has guided for hto , im sure he will do just fine , besides we are talking about a cow tag right !!! geezus what the hell ! ive been around a few hto guides and all they have shown me is they let hunters make some iffy shots and spend no time on looking for animals
, then move on to the next big money hunter! give shane a shot !!!!

'IT AINT EASY BEING ME'

Great entertainment value in this thread. We get to see guys spilling the beans and cutting each others throats over maybe landing a client thinking about a potential cow hunt. Guide business must be slow.lol

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom