Outfitter Tent Advise

L

LookinForBuck

Finally got the okay to buy a good Outfitter tent for huntin/campin. Hoping someone out there has some good advice/experience using them. I've been lookin at the Cabela's Alakank and Big Horn II. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks

Now is a good time to get one. Most of the manufacters are have close out sales. I got mine from Colorado Tent in Denver. Couple pieces of advice are besure to get 5' side walls. Mine is 12'x14'x5'. It says it will sleep 5 but it's most comfortable with 3. I built my own frame with 1" EMT conduit. It's plenty strong. It's a little heavy & bulky to pack in on horse. I usally have a camp near the 4x4 pickup. My tent weighs in @ 75 lbs. I made my own rain fly out of old tractor trailor tarps. I also use a wood burner.

Whatever tent you get----build your frame & pitch the tent. Then soak it with a garden hose to shrink the canvas---before you hunt with it. I had to cut the EMT stakes by several inches because of shrinkage.

I've seen frames also built out of 2x2 wood. I can see where the EMT conduit would be very sturdy but can also see the weight involved.

That's a good tip on the soaking to shrink too. Also, invest in spraying it down with water sealer. It will be worth the extra effort and cost when you see the rain just dribble off the roof. Also keeps the canvas from weighing in at a ton if you have to fold camp in the rain or after a storm and you have a soaked tent.

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

I have an Alaknak tent by Cabela's and I love it. I have the 9 1/2 X 9 1/2 and it's a little too small, but is still a great tent. I would invest in the 12 X 12 if you go that route. This tent is fairly compact to pack in and doesn't weigh a whole lot. The way this tent is constructed it can withstand hurricane force winds and sheds snow very well. Just make sure you seam seal it really well when you first get it and you won't have any problems with it leaking for years.

MT

Bob,
Did you make your own angle brackets or purchase the adjustable type like Cabela's sells.

Bill

Montana Canvas in Billings...in fact they are the ones who make the tents and frames for Cabelas.

Sorry, posted this question and then left for the weekend. Thanks for all the responses. Little bit of clarification: The Cabela's Alaknak/Big Horn tents are made with a XTC Poly oxford 150-denier; Fly and tent: 1,500mm-rated - I'm assuming this is similar to a canvas tent but doesn't need the weather treatment?

Massandtrash: I'm looking at the 12by12 for sure, what kind of stove do you use for your smaller tent? Also, have you had any problems with condensation inside the tent?

I also need to keep the price around $1000 - that's including a stove. That's why I'm looking at the Cabela's tents.

Bill

I welded steel set-screw couplings to the correct angle. Then spray painted the coupling & correct piece of emt. Also welded several hooks on the center cross. Really handy to hang up jackets, shirts etc.

Bob

I'd highly reccommend Davis Tent and Awnings here in Denver, family owned and take very good care of their customers. davistent.com

IF YOUR GOING TO BE A BEAR BE A GRIZZLY BEAR!
I am an outfitter here in Idaho and we use some great tents made by Yakima tent and awning. We have nevewr had any problems with them.They come with 5 foot sides 12X14 stove hole is asbestos lined made of 16 oz material and have a 2 foot inside flap.. No frame as we use poles but a great buy at 395.00$

I have a 16 x 20 wall tent from Kirkhams tent and awning in Salt Lake City. They custom make them, windows ect and take great care of you. They will sell you a frame if you want but I made my own. email me if you would like to see it, or talk about it. Wall tent is the only way to go kw

Kirkhams makes outstanding tents. You might want to check out their Springbar Tents as well as the traditional "wall tent" styles. The Springbar tents are super easy to erect and stand up to brutal winds and heavy snows.

Not sure what to think of this tent deal. Is an outfitter tent like a tee pee. One u sleep under each nite. A wig wam to beat your tom tom!!
Rut

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom