outfitters/guides

M

mnelly

thinking of doing A guided hunt for elk next year,We have 4 pts. and were looking in the price range around 3000$.Was hoping someone could recommend A outfitter.280-320 bulls is what were looking for,with A chance of something bigger.Any part of the state is fine,thxs.

I think you're going to have a tough time finding a decent guided, back country elk hunt of any duration for only $3000.

That would be about right Brian. I looked up a bunch of outfitters just by googling WY guided elk hunts and the prices are around $5K to $8K for a 5-8 day hunt.

Yep $3k probably won't get you there especially if you want 280+ bulls. If you can spend a little more and don't care about shooting that size bull I'd check into some of the outfitters in western wyoming. Just an example (never hunted with them) but nontypical outfitters charges $4k for rifle 5 day 2 on 1, and a little less if you hunt archery season. But not a lot is big bulls in the greys river and Wyoming range since they are general units and OTC for residents.

I would wait another year and save another two grand. Check out Trails West Outfitters and look at the Bulls they shoot, i would definately hunt with Bob Sundeen anyday!

$5000...not worth it IMO. Just get the tag, get to WY and go hunting you just might get lucky and kill an elk. I have never been in the area I drew this year but I will be there until the killin's done or the season ends..DIY.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-27-12 AT 09:40AM (MST)[p]I'm with you on that jodog! The outfitter on the big ranch right south of where I hunt is now charging $4,400 for a 5 day mule deer hunt and $6K for a bull. I do the same basic hunt DIY in that area for the cost of my tags and the gas money it takes to get out there and back! A five day hunt goes so fast it's unreal and if weather screws you up and you lose any days you don't get any of that money back either.

Check with Wally at Worldwide Hunts/Butch Manassee Outfitters. They're an outfitter broker and do a lot of cancellation hunts for outfitters. I know he has a Thorofare hunt out of Cody for around $2900. Its a 8 day wilderness hunt the third week of Oct. My buddy was mulling it and I think they were going to throw a deer hunt in for $500. I did this hunt 5 years ago and bagged a 290 bull. I also ended up shooting a heavy 27" wide buck after missing a 180 class buck that was trotting through a burn.

That's not a bad idea to look into cancellation hunts like Triple_BB mentioned. I'm on the email list put out by Butch and they have some pretty good deals from time to time if you can make plans or change your schedule quickly to accomodate the hunt dates that come up.

+1 on Bob Sundeen. Last year he went 27 for 29. The 2 unsuccessful hunters left early after passing on several bulls. My brothers hunted with Bob last year and got 2 6x6 bulls the 1st day.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Thxs guys,I known 3000,or so,is kinda cheap,but I had to see whats out there,I will check into cancelled,hunts,thxs for the help,and good luck huntin

just dont do a wild pick on a outfitter.. make a list of them and call each one... ask the basic questions... then ask for a hunter they had that got an elk and one that didnt? ask that hunter why they did or didnt get one? ask how the hunter how the food was and so on and so on.... this homework will pay off...

Check out Salt River Range Outfitters - they are in your price range for elk hunts and were great when I hunted with them.

Take a peek at Greys River Trophies. In your price range. Great camp. Great Horses. Great food. I don't believe they do a ton of "pre scouting"...
We hunted with them last year for deer and didn't see the quality of deer we were looking for, so tag soup for us.
BUT...while we were hunting we did see a quality Bull in the 350-370 class range. My hunting partner was up close and personal and he is a good scorer of elk. He thought it was pushing 370.
Really liked guides Ken, and a younger feller who's name slips me. Good experience and a decent price. Rough country!

RAMBO...I mean Rando....welcome aboard took you long enough! 4 more weeks and I leave for WYO for Antelope & Deer.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

>Check with Wapiti Ridge Outfitters. Great
>Guy! Kills good bulls every
>year.

+1 on JJ. Good horses, guides, and camp in the mountains.

Hey Kilowatt...it has taken me a few years. :)
Hope to get some good insight and hopefully share some too!
Good luck on your hunt!
I leave two weeks from tomorrow to hunt region G (WY) in the Hobble Crk area (DIY Mule Deer). Love to get some input on that area (close to Lake Alice too) if anyone cares to comment...or take your advice Kilowatt on how to find that advice/conversation?? I am a Newbie!!
Thanks!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom