over priced hunting gear

smitty

Very Active Member
We must be the dumbest group of people on the planet.

Why are we willing to spend $400 on a one man tent?

Why spend $500 on a camo outfit?

Why spend $500 on boots.

Why spend $6000 on a rifle and scope, cause it'll shoot 1000 yards?

Why spend $500 on a backpack?

If for one am convinced that hunting gear is marked up 200%-400% and maybe even more on certain things.

I'm guilty of buying some of the expensive gear myself. But is anybody else tired of having $10K worth of gear on their back?

I for one don't believe animals give a sh!t what color of camo you have on, or what kind of boots, or if you're tent only weighs 1lb 2oz.

I think alot of our gear is way over rated......anyhow, just alittle grumpy from sitting inside ALL F*****G WINTER. Spring can't get here soon enough.

The day I killed my first elk I used a Remington 721 with 180 grain Core-Lokt ammo. I was wearing a cheapo blaze orange hooded sweatshirt, Levi jeans and cotton thermals. I did have my Buck knife and a sandwich in my pocket. I was 13 years old and didn't know I needed anything else to kill elk. 34 years later I bet it would still work. mtmuley

We walked into Cabela's in Phoenix and started comparing prices on some of the stuff that we had bought elswhere. In some cases, items were up to $100 to $150 more than what we paid for.

We left without buying anything, figured we could save a little money shopping around, even after shipping.

www.muleybulloutfitters.com

I do agree that the price of certain things are crazy, but I am also more than guilty on thinking that the best gear I can afford will give me an edge. When it comes to a few pieces of gear, I will pay a lot of good money for them. You get what you pay for in the world of hunting gear.
Boots are on the top of that list. I have had cheap boots, I don't like them- my feet get cold, wet and blistered. Also, I wear them out at a rate that compensates for the price tag of very nice boots.
My tent is on the list as well- I view my tent and sleeping bag as potential life savers.
Beyond boots, and shelter, optics, wet weather gear and other things can certainly be justified to purchase.

The only thing I will not tolerate with gear is gear that does not last. If I pay a heavy price tag for it, it had better last a lot of years of hunting abuse. If I have a jacket that cost 350.00 and I get 10 good years of use from it- thats easy money spent.

I'm personally as guilty as anyone else of spending way too much for equipment, but that being said, the cost of EVERYTHING we use or consume is brought on by our own desire to have things that are at least as good if not better than everyone else has. I have personally never had anyone holding a gun, bat, hammer, or whatever works to my head, forcing me to buy anything new, and yet I just bought a new bow that cost more than some cars, and honestly I'm not shooting any better than I was before.

If we didn't buy the stuff, the prices would have to come down to entice us to buy, but just like everything else, we'll keep on buying, and the prices will continue to rise, and we'll all continue to cry and moan about it.....

Just my .02
Jbo

LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-13 AT 06:10PM (MST)[p]Hey SMUT?

I've got a couple Guns for Sale!

You Interested?

EDIT:::}>}>}>!!!

The Dew I had for Breakfast wasn't Bad so I had one more for Dessert!:D

At times I have wasted money on unneeded items for hunting. I can honestly say the money I have spent on quality optics has totally changed my game and have been worth every penny. As for guns I by high quality, durable weapons and use them to their fullest until they can give no more. Then I replace it.

I dont mind spending money on things I really NEED. I try not to buy alot of crap. In other words, buy quality necessities.

Some of it's worth it. Most of it's not.

A foole and his monie be soone at debate,
which after with sorrow repents him too late. -Thomas Tusser

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-13 AT 08:17PM (MST)[p]I'm cheap. When I drew a sheep tag in 2011 I bought a pair of boots that cost over $350, it almost killed me to spend that much on one item of hunting gear. Other than that I used the same gear I've always used. I'm sure good gear would have made things easier, but I don't think it would have changed the outcome. I rearely spend over $500 in a year on hunting gear. The most expensive item I have is my newest rifle, which with was under $800 with scope, 15 years ago.

Amen brother. I thought I was borderline crazy paying $60-70 for nice wool or cabelas microtex pants. Then I saw what people are paying for Sitka gear and I threw up in my mouth a little. I think there is a point where good quality gear is definitely worth paying more for than cheapo stuff, but you hit a point of diminishing returns pretty quick and start paying for prestige/name.

That being said, I do drop some coin on good boots and optics though. I have been disapointed by expensive boots though. I won't ever buy another pair of Hanwag, I paid way too much for a pair that last me 1 season. I have had much better luck with Miendel and while they are expensive I think they are worth it.

Dax

There is no such thing as a sure thing in trophy mule deer hunting.

Plus one on the Hanwag Daxter. My brother has some but is waiting on the second round of sending them in to have them put back to gether. Bro said he was going to find better boots, but hanwag customer service told him he had the best boots ever made; hopefully they hold up well.

I agree with buying the quality gear as you will be replacing less than half as much as the cheap gear. If I buy a cheap item to save money, I will ussually end up buying the better item eventually anyway. It is easier to buy the quality first because you get what you pay for.

Unlike many, I think optics is the easiest and best area to save some money, as you can get binoculars and spotting scopes for $500 that are nearly as good as the models that are priced 4 times as much.

I've spent a bit on optics and some on footwear. Most everything else is overrated. I'll spend a bit more for good wool, but like optics and footwear, it is an investment that really seems worth it. Somethings can be found like new, but used, if one is patient and is willing to wait a bit before buying...

I found that the old wool slacks and plaid shirt I hunted in years ago were as effective as any camo I've worn since. I guess I've gotten to where I quit looking to get the edge from something I buy and realize that the edge is me and skills. I will pay more to save weight as I've done some damage to my back and an ounce of prevention...

This is kinda what I'm getting at. Hunting companies jack up the price of camo, backpacks, walking sticks, misc gear, just because it's hunting related.

I used to have a Jansport backpack that did everything my Mystery Ranch does at a 1/3 the price. I have camo, but don't believe it fools any animals, it just looks "cool" in the pictures.

All our gear will wear out, I'm just tired of inflated prices, simply because it's hunting gear.

I guess not much will change, just have to look harder to find the gear I want without paying triple for it.

I have invested in good quality gear over the years and most will outlast me. I always looked for bargains,but won't skimp on some gear. Cold and foul weather gear,tents,bags,optics,packs,boots have to be what I consider Quality. Not the most expensive,but just what I think is the best overall.
My Cabellas outfittercamo Micro-tex shirt and pants are 8 yrs old and are still in excellent shape. 10 times the quality of discount poly or cotton crap,and an 1/4 the price of Sitka and other stuff I have seen with rips and tears,and that makes noise.
Meindel Ibex boots 10 yrs,like new. Kenetrek packboots 6yrs,just broke in. Woolrich wool coat and shirts 20 yrs,a lifetime to go.....
Doesn't have to made just for hunting,but sometimes that is what I consider the best for hunting. E-stock pack for example.Designed and made by hunters.Got older model J104 on sale.6 yrs and won't use anything else even on some day trips.

I am glad I finally spent the money to buy a quality pair of binoculars but other than that I try not to spend much.

I did wait until a good sale to buy a waterproof hunting jacket but other than that I only own one pair of pants that's camo. And I prefer the pictures that don't have camo so I usually take my jacket off for the pictures.

I also try to make a lot of my own gear rather than pay the prices that stores ask for.

I am in need of a better backpack than I have but I am unwilling to pay $300-$400 dollars. In fact there are a lot of things that I would like to buy that are non-hunting related that I refuse to pay the asking price for.

It's all relative. In the first place, there isn't even one of us that EVER worked at his job harder than our Fathers. I wouldn't leave the house for the best wages my Father ever earned. Wages go up, consumer prices go up accordingly.

In the second place, you are not FORCED to buy ANY of this hunting chit......it is a choice.

It is up to the individual to accumulate the things he believes will enhance his "pastime of choice".

I have friends that drink Blue Label Johnny Walker......tastes like chit to me, but their choice.
I have friends who own Lazzeroni rifles, who couldn't hit my truck at 200 yds. Their choice.

In most any deer/elk hunting zone, there are guys with $150,000.00 invested in trailers, trucks and camping gear, parked next to others in a $5000.00 Suziki Samurai, with $200.00 worth of yard sale camping stuff.

My daily driver/hunting rig, is a 20 years old Suburban, has 250,000 miles on it and burns up $400.00 a month in gas. There isn't a thing out there that would inspire me to trade it for. When it finally leaves me stranded, I will leave it where it sits, and walk away owed nothing from it. My choice.......that and the fact that I live on $36k a year, so truck payments are out of the question for me.

Simple research and shopping practices will allow you to get the best deal available on any item. You decide, what you want, are willing to pay for, and how much you need to feed your ego...........which is a HUGE part of consumer marketing tech.

I own the best optics money can buy....period, because I think it is worth the price. On the other hand, I bought at least 3 rifles last year, that I had zero logical justification for buying.......sometimes, it just feels good to do it.

"I could agree with you, but then we would both be
wrong......and stupid"

I am as cheap as they come. Most of my dollars goes into the fuel tank. Hunting has been good to me for a lot of years. When I was younger I had to justify the money for the meat I brought home. Never spent more per pound then the store cost. Since I have the wife on board that Elk is the best meat on the planet and worth spending a few extra dollars for. So I spend a few dollars on NR tags and fuel. But if you bump into me out in the field you wont see any high dollar clothes or equipment with me. But you just might see a leg bone sticking out of my pack. :)

32032007_bull.jpg

By myself a few miles into the Eagle Cap Wilderness.

DZ

I have been going to mountain climbers and simular places to check on products before buying a hunting name product. Sometimes they are cheaper and sometimes not, yet there products are of good quality minus the camo pattern. Another place to save, soley hit or miss. Ebay. I actually just sold a king of the mountain wool coat with that method. Sold for 1/2 the price of new and I only wore it acouple of times, didnt like it so sat in my closet.

I mostly buy gear from hiking outfits like Patagonia/Hill people and Kifaru.. However I just got a beagle extreme coat at a nice discount.. None of that gear is cheap, and is often much better than its counterpart being sold as "hunting gear"so mountaineers/Hikers must be just as gullible as we are.

I try to avoid anything camo unless its for turkey/waterfowl.I think its tacky as hell to be decked out in full camo on a rifle hunt, but thats just me.

>I try to avoid anything camo
>unless its for turkey/waterfowl.I think
>its tacky as hell to
>be decked out in full
>camo on a rifle hunt,
>but thats just me.

+1....cammo ball caps are ok though.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-04-13 AT 08:56PM (MST)[p]It was free! And I didn't say I wouldn't wear it.

DZ

Lot's of quality gear for a lot less than the prices you listed. It boils down to what you want to do with your money. Hunting gear is no different than fishing gear or for that matter womens shoes. You can step out in the night with some cheapies from DSW or were some Jimmie Chue's. Don't ask me why I know about those expensive shoes.

There was a comment made about golf that carries a lot of truth to it. Hunting gear is no different than any other sport, try going skiing or boating. A person can do any of these activities and not spend a bundle of money but there is always something else to buy. I don't know about the rest of you but I work so I can live, I don't live to work. Gear is a drop in the hat when you figure in vehicle, gas, food and tags.

I spend a ton on gear, but hunting is my hobby. My friends say I spend too much on my equipment, but unlike them, I don't own a $10,000 ATV or $20,000 camp trailer. In fact, I don't own an ATV or a camp trailer. However, my tarp, sleeping bag, optics, clothes, rain gear, backpack, gun and boots are nice. Plus, if I choose, I don't have to camp next to a main road or any road, or deal with 4 wheelers. I think getting away from 4 wheelers makes it worth every penny!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-13 AT 07:34AM (MST)[p]I try to keep my spending to an all time minimum because #1, I am cheap, and #2, I have a wife and three kids to feed, clothe, shelter and raise. I have found over the years what works best for me by putting certain items to the test out in the field.

I laugh when I run into hunters out in the field who are decked out from head to toe in name brand gear and are asking me what I have been seeing and where.

More and more I am running into the "underarmor" man in the field who wears everything skin tight, has the best weapon/gear on the planet. They do not blend into the landscape because their camo is too new and pattern too defined.

I wear a 40 year old camo jump suit my mom made for my dad when they got married. I cannot get rid of it because the camo pattern is perfect and it is faded enough to where I blend into any surroundings.

We have a saying for those who have to have the latest and greatest....GEAR WHORES!

They cant hunt worth a damn, but hey, at least they look god doing it.

Thankyou GEAR WHORES for keeping the economy alive. I'll see you all out in the field this fall for some more laughs....

Bloodtracker,Sounds like your a POOR WHORE who is jealous of GEAR WHORES....Heheheee! I know several people who are some of the best hunters on this planet that have the higest quality gear money can buy.Most of these guys make fairly average incomes, however they choose to spend their surpluses on quality gear rather than 6K in accessories for their F350.If a hunter is lazy and inexperienced, 1000 of dollars worth of gear won't amount to a hill of beans. With that said, I have seen guys spend hundreds of dollars in gas,food and time off work, only to end a hunt early because they got wet feet from cheap boots;their backpack fell apart on the pack in; wind shredded their tent apart the first night;couldn't spot any animals with that $29 pair of bushnell glasses.I think the motto here is to buy the most quality gear one can afford.

The point I'm trying to make is this.

Hunting gear is overpriced. I think we as a hunting community have put so much demand on gear that we are paying way too much for some of it.

I'm just wondering what we can do about it, or if someone knows about some alternative gear and stores where we can find some quality gear at reasonable prices.

In my opinion, Sitka, Kuiu, Badlands, have outrageous prices. It you really look at how much money a camo outfit costs, you can't tell me that it's that much better than something else.

Anyhow, continue on calling each other names and bragging about how much or little you spend on gear.

I buy the best optics and boots I can afford. Bargain shop for everything and take care of what i've got.

I kept away from buying toy haulers ATVs and boats and saved for tags instead. I sleep just fine in a tent, my truck or a crappy motel bed - don't have to pay insurance or fuel for 'em either.

Just get filthy rich and you can afford the BEST tags, the BEST gear, AND ol Mossback for a guide so you can kill the BEST animal on the mountain :):)

Cabinfever,
Actually I am far from jealous of those who dress and act like they own the mountain.

My point I'm trying to make is once the gear is aquired, there is really no need to "update" gear on a yearly basis just to look good. That is a waste of money even if you have it.

I own a 2001 dodge diesel (payed for) bought it brand new in 01'.(it currently has 66,000 origional miles on it).
I own a 2005 24' Thor toy hauler (payed for)
I own a 2005 yamaha kodiac atv (payed for)
My rifle is a 300 RUM with a leupold 4.5-14 power scope (payed for in 2004)
My bow is a 1995 High country Excalibur, (killed a few deer with it)
My muzzle loader is a traditional hawkins 54 cal. purchased in 1992. (killed a few deer with it)
My spotting scope is a leupold 30x60 (purchased in 1990)
My binos are nikon actions (purchased in 2003)
Boots are La Sportiva Gaciers (250.00) purchsed 2004.
My back pack is a camptrails external aluminum frame pack purchased in 89' (it still hauls elk out and is comfortable to wear.)

Heck, I'm still wearing hunting clothes from when I was in highschool and that was back in 95'. I take care of what I have and buy only when I need to.

I am frugal with my hunting purchases so that I can afford the fuel/food and other unexpected expenses that come up around the hunting season.

>How the hell do yo uhave
>a 2001 truck with 66k
>miles????
>
>I have a 2010 with 55k!!!!
>
+1
my 2008 (bought in 2009) has 87k....

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

When I watched the Gunwerks guys hunt Desert Sheep in Mexico I figured they must be selling a few of those $7000 rifles.

smitty, high priced gear is high priced because people pay it. Why should the company charge less than they can get? I just don't fall into that trap, even though to some people it may be worth the money.

If I sweat in my rain gear while hiking, so be it. I've been sweating in my rain gear for 50 years.

I bought my 2003 truck new and it has 67K. It's the only vehicle my wife and I have. Yep, about 7000 miles a year between us. We're trying to keep our carbon foot print under control:) j/k

Eel

Bloodtracker

I commend you for your frugality, however, If a person has the money to buy the latest and greatest gear every year thats their right and business to do so. How does a persons gear purchases affect you? No need to label those who purchase expensive gear.

There's rifles thst cost $7,000 ! If I were to somehow become filthy rich, I still couldn't spend that much on a gun. As far as trucks go, "new" to me is one with less that 150,000 miles on it. My newest vehicle is an '01 with 210,000k and still truckin'. My house is my big expense, family and daily needs come first. i wou;ld like to have top of the line gear, but I just don't believe its worth that much $$

I went onto the KUIU website the other day to check out their new 1850 Icon pack. Am I reading this correctly? Is this pack and frame combo really $700?

I will preach "you get what you pay" all day long and I won't blink an eye to drop $2500 on a set of binoculars or $500 on a tent, but $700 for a backpack (a small one at that) seems crazy. I think the Stone Glacier and Kifaru are just as good (maybe better) and are a few hundred dollars less.

I bought my new Sitka gear about 4 years ago and it's still holding strong. I bought it because it is 10x more comfortable then blue jeans and a cotton shirt. I have better mobility and don't overheat or get cold as easy as I use to.

Get over it. I bet our grandparents didn't drive around with A/C and leather seats or have internet or monster muleys. They didn't pay for any of that, but most of us do. Why not get better quality and upgraded gear if you can?

Everything is going up in price just something that is going to happen. Just like minimum wage is going up. When everyone makes more stuff will cost more.

Oh and just so you know all of you that don't want to pay for nicer gear you can still go out and get your $50 boots $20 pants and $5 shirt and go hunting. Just nice for those of us that want to buy better gear to have the option.

>
>Oh and just so you know
>all of you that don't
>want to pay for nicer
>gear you can still go
>out and get your $50
>boots $20 pants and $5
>shirt and go hunting. Just
>nice for those of us
>that want to buy better
>gear to have the option.
>

I'm all about buying better gear and having the option to do so, but what's the limit. I'm happy to pay top dollar for high-end gear, but there becomes a point where the extra money spent isn't really getting you anything more (except in your head maybe).

I don't consider your Sitka clothing too outlandish of a pruchase and I'm sure they will work perfect for you. Shoot, I have a few of the Sitka items and love them too. I just bought a $500 handheld GPS, and a variety of other items for an upcoming hunt. I'm in the market for a new backpack and just can't understand the costs of the new KUIU pack. Guess I'll look at some other brands.

>I'm all about buying better gear
>and having the option to
>do so, but what's the
>limit. I'm happy to
>pay top dollar for high-end
>gear, but there becomes a
>point where the extra money
>spent isn't really getting you
>anything more (except in your
>head maybe).
>
>I don't consider your Sitka clothing
>too outlandish of a pruchase
>and I'm sure they will
>work perfect for you.
>Shoot, I have a few
>of the Sitka items and
>love them too. I
>just bought a $500 handheld
>GPS, and a variety of
>other items for an upcoming
>hunt. I'm in the
>market for a new backpack
>and just can't understand the
>costs of the new KUIU
>pack. Guess I'll look
>at some other brands.

I was just comparing my sitka to the Kings camo set I still have that was about $80 for everything. I always reach for my Sitka though just for the fact that it is so much more comfortable. I do have the Swarovski 65mm HD spotter and I would not go buy the new STX or ATX scope as I don't think there is going to be that much of an improvement over what I have.

Bwht4x4,

You are reading it wrong. The 1850 for the Full Kit (frame, suspension, and bag) is $399.98. Its a great pack. I own one.

Grizzly

PS. Tristate, please be an adult and respect my wishes that you do not respond to any of my posts. I, in turn, will do you the courtesy of not responding to any of yours. I simply do not wish to converse with you.

>Bwht4x4,
>
>You are reading it wrong. The
>1850 for the Full Kit
>(frame, suspension, and bag) is
>$399.98. Its a great
>pack. I own one.
>
>
>Grizzly
>
>PS. Tristate, please be an adult
>and respect my wishes that
>you do not respond to
>any of my posts. I,
>in turn, will do you
>the courtesy of not responding
>to any of yours. I
>simply do not wish to
>converse with you.

Thanks Grizzly for answering my question. I went back and now noticed there is the option of "full kit", "bag only" and "with susp."

Do think the suspension is necessary for the pack to be used as a day pack for an elk hunt?

You can buy the bag-only for $99. This assumes you already have the frame and/or suspension from a previous ICON purchase. I believe this comes with the aluminum stays, which offer some internal support and would make a great daypack.

If you don't have an ICON already, then you will need to at least buy the bag with suspension for $189. This includes the shoulder straps and waist belt. This is the best value for a true "daypack" on the market right now, I believe.

If you want to be able to haul meat/camping gear in the Load Sling mode, then you need the frame as well. The frame could be bought alone at a later date. (The frame alone is $229, add this to the $189 for pack/suspension and you end up paying an additional $20 by not buying together.)

If you are serious, I would look at ordering quickly, some of their pack components are running low or are completely out-of-stock.

Grizzly

PS. Tristate, please be an adult and respect my wishes that you do not respond to any of my posts. I, in turn, will do you the courtesy of not responding to any of yours. I simply do not wish to converse with you.

The fact that even the expensive gear is crap bothers me more than the cost. I get by with the cheap stuff until I can afford to buy better gear, but in many cases there is none. Case in point--turkey vests, camouflage ink on cotton T's, and, from what many of you are telling me about Kennetrek, etc boots, even the top end footwear. I think the point is that too few of us operate by word of mouth and are inclined to believe what they see advertised on TV--and we should know better than to trust anyone who spends more time playing guitar on a hunting show than actually teaching us about his pursuit.

I agree 100% bullskin. I think I'm going to get by on this year's hunt with my 15+ year old Badlands 2200 or my North Face internal frame (which I paid $70 for and is the most comfortable pack I've ever worn). My hunt this year is on flat ground and I don't need to spend $500+ dollars on a new pack for this hunt.

To your point even more Buckskin I have for years bought high-end backpacking and mountaineering equipment over hunting specific gear due to the fact it's made so much better. Boots are a prime example of this. Not one pair of my boots is made by any company that focuses on hunting equipment. It's funny too because at one time the higher-end backpacking and mountaineering gear was more expensive, but now it seems cheap compared to the Sitka, KUIU gear on the market.

My 02 chev has 76000, I bought it new and keep it parked for daily commute, I drive a HUGE POS daily to keep the truck unused, looking on internet a replacement is gonna cost $50k(HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAA). I try to buy my crap in the late winter on clearance(cabelas) or when they change patterns(Kings) As for guns, mine is 24yrs old, killed another bull last year. My orange shirts are from Old Navy, my pants are dickies(seems they last like the carhardt at 1/2 price) and my camo doesn't match, most came from Smith and Edwards. My Kings coat is really nice, but its outdated camo(guess Joan Rivers will poke fun of me). My muzzloader is an original Disc Knight(still shoots fine, discs are harder to find). I find I am spending more on kids stuff, trying to buy my 7yr old some good stuff, hoping his 2yr old bro will finish it off. My trailer is nice, but i went smaller(what??? you can do that??) than the previous because I like the mtn. tops. In short, like a lot of guys I try to buy good quality, not necessarily brand name or newest camo, and try to add a piece year to year. I too am amused by the dude wearing the sitka, with an anti aircraft magnum on his shoulder, 3k around his neck for spotting, and you know he is rocking a new 6" lift f350. Not making fun, I know truck salesman their kids need to eat too, I just think its interesting. I would bet I kill more, and am better at doing it, but if not I can sleep(bought my pillows at walmart).

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

JUDAS!

That over priced Huntin Gear Ain't nothing!

Most of these Wanna-be Hunters are Sportin Rigs that Cost 50-80K!

How bout their 70K Camp Trailers?

A 100K worth of Earth Destroying Wheelers?

Their 2,000+ Yard Guns?

50 Trail-Cams each?

And all the other High-Tech BullSshhitt that goes with it?

Then TARDS wonder why there Ain't no Deer left in TARDville,GEEZUS!

Then to Top it all off you've Got 440,piper,Ziggy & Obama driving the Price of Ammo through the Roof,JUDAS!

This Story happens alot it's True!
But Ya Best Hope it don't ever happen to you!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom