Overall deer numbers

DM770

I was looking at the State provided population numbers and all I see is a continual decline in mule deer from the 08 winter kill. How is it that people are saying "the deer numbers are coming back"? All I see is a red flag, as the numbers are still trending down, a full third from 6 years ago and continuing to decline.

I understand that the State was carrying too many deer at the time, but don't BS me on a recover. These are the States numbers not mine.

I was counting deer numbers with my drone back in Jan and counted less than anytime since 2008. Unit 35 and 44. Horrible

I hunted 67 third for elk this past year and did some scouting for deer knowing I could draw the tag in 2014. I was glad I did. There is no way I would even think about putting in for that unit. I also scouted 551,55 and 53 in late November and felt the same way. I laugh when I hear about tag numbers increasing and people asking about a fourth season. We're ten years away from a recovery if ever.

The 07-08 winter was 6 yrs. ago and overall they haven't been bad since then, yet the numbers are trending down. Tags have been reduced. Problem? I've got to put at least some of the blame on predators, lions in particular. I know we saw some tracks last year and they say a lion kills a deer a week. Something I've seen over the years is that when a prey species has a large healthy population, they can lose a fair amount of animals to predators, but when something happens to drastically reduce that population ,like a bad winter, suddenly that predation loss is a higher % of the population and it prevents a rebound.

I for one find it hard to trust numbers used by the state. Not that they are dishonest but they may be fudging the numbers. I sat in several meetings during the 07/08 winter and several after that winter where the Dow refused to admit how bad things were. I was further pissed when the following season they did not really cut licenses in most of the NW. Then after everyone complained about deer numbers they decided to reduce decrease tags. Again in 08/09 they really did not change tag numbers and the few deer left got hammered.

The trending numbers statewide are not good but I do believe that some areas are doing better than others. The state is doing several things to figure out the why and the how of the deer demise... Predators, hard winters, fences, cars, disease, competition with elk, all take a toll....

I know in my area they have been collaring and tracking a lot of deer. I have not found any data on that issue yet, or what they have found, but will share when I track it down.

In May there will be several meetings in the state centered specifically on deer and what can be done...

I for one will be attacking the continued issuing of doe tags. If the population is below objective there should Bo no doe tags at all....

The two units we hunt numbers are going way up! I know all areas, units are different but I love what we're seeing.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Here is my take, granted I am not a Colorado residence but have hunted CO since 04 2 or 3 seasons a year. IMHO the numbers are coming back, slower then then buildup from 99 to 03.. The first decline I saw was in 07, then followed up with the bad winter of 08. I think the deer numbers were fudged then, not now. It appeared to me that all of the western slope got hammered. It appeared to me that 75 percent of the deer were lost with entire age classes went missing. It was horrible. I am seeing better deer numbers in some units, while others are still dropping or flat.

You will never see what it was in 03 to 06 so if your waiting to burn your points then, sit back and keep waiting my friends. It still has the best mule deer options of ant state and I won't be missing a season any time soon.

Good luck, Rich

I can't complain about the deer numbers since hunting 54 in 2010. That was pretty lean. I heard the numbers are coming back in that unit, but younger age classes.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom