Pack Frame Suggestions

JFBNORTHERNHUNTER

Well after this years Barbary Sheep hunt, I think I’m ready to invest in a good pack frame system. My question is which one is better and why? I borrowed a XO mountain 4800 this year but am considering others. What is your experience and pros and cons of the different brands out there.

My needs will include light weight, carrying gear such a spotting scope, knives, water, rain gear etc. and good support to pack out meat.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a Stone Glacier and have been happy with it. Heaviest load I've had in it and on my back is 90 lbs and it carried it well.

Still knew it was there though. Any pack won't make that part go away.

If you want to haul a heavy load get a Barney’s. If you want to swallow a heavy load get an EXO pack.

56EAA7C8-4020-4D00-8363-C7F319C91E99.gif

Have/had SG, Kifaru and Exo. Packs are like boots IMO, what’s great for one, may not work for another.

Kifaru IMO is the best built pack of the 3, but did not work for me no matter how hard I tried. The frame is very rigid which is nice with a heavy load, but not so much in day pack mode. If using the load shelf, it’s the most inconvenient of the 3. The 22 Mag is the best bag layout I’ve tried IMO.

The Exo K3 is extremely comfortable, but I get quit a bit of slippage with anything over ~40#. Exo has the most comfortable shoulder straps of the 3 for me. The load shelf is pretty easy to use. The 3200 bag layout is pretty good.

Over all the SG works out the best for me. It is not as comfortable as the Exo but I get no slippage and the comfort is good light and as comfortable as can be under heavier weights. Not real fond of any of the SG bags, but the Approach 2800 works. The load shelf is the best of the 3 IMO.

Again, everyone will come up with something different when it comes to packs.

I run the outdoorsman pack and love it. Its practical, plenty big and has held up well over the years of use. Removing the bag is easy and using the plastic frame for packing meat is the best I've used. I recently purchased the new Kuiu Venture 3000 pack, I like the idea of being able to leave my optics attached to the tripod during transport. It won't serve as a meat packer, but it should cover the majority of my needs prior to packing meat. I'm excited to use it this season.

I highly suggest not running wearing a pack. Easier to fall down and the added weight is not doing any favors to your knees.

I really like the two pack system if your are truck hunting. I went with a KUIU 2300 last year as my day pack on my WY elk hunt. I have a Custom Molle system if I need to haul out meat. It worked out well but I am going to step up to a 3600 size this year.

I see what you did there @SS! ....I use two packs like Paul said. My little one is a old Diabolo that provides lots of air between the pack and my back, nice for southern NM. Yes, I have hauled an elk quarter with it. It wasn't pleasant but that's why I have a pack frame too.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom