Pack Frames

Wiszard

Long Time Member
Are there much differences between different brands of pack frames? Starting to research buying one. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

If you are looking to carry boned out game or want something that will comfortably handle a lot of weight if needed... Kifaru, Seek Outside, Stone Glacier and Exo Mountain Gear is where I would start.

me and my hunting partner have been using the Kuiu packs the last few years and we have been super impressed. the load doesn't move or shift. the carbon frame is impressive. ive hauled 100-120lbs a couple different times and each time it performed flawlessly. ive used badlands, eberlestock, and they both didn't live up to these packs. plus the weight of the pack is awesome. i have heard the Exo mountain gear is pretty legit, but i haven't personally used them.

"Shoot Straight"

The only thing that keeps me from buying the kuiu packs are the price. I use an older Lowe internal frame pack for most of my loads. I also have the Cabelas freighter frame pack but it's harness system does not compare with a good backpacking harness system. I'm not going to haul 100 pound plus loads anymore, my knees and back don't like that very much so I go lighter and make additional trips.

I really like my outdoorsmans optics pack. Have hauled some heavy loads with it. The poly frame contours well to my back.

I agree Beanman....I don't think I'll ever need to pack out 100+ pounds so I don't need THAT good of a frame. I also don't want to spend $250 for it. I will need to do some more research. Thanks guys.

PISSCUTTERS still need to be packed out, BESS! Don't discriminate the bucks I shoot. :)

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Having said that...I'm planning on packing in 2.5 miles through nasty brush tomorrow and spending the night by myself in a bivy bag just to kill a cow elk. And then I'll have to pack the dang thing out if I'm successful. Sounds like fun although when I initially planned this hunt there was supposed to be weather that would push them down close to home.

>Having said that...I'm planning on packing
>in 2.5 miles through nasty
>brush tomorrow and spending the
>night by myself in a
>bivy bag just to kill
>a cow elk. And
>then I'll have to pack
>the dang thing out if
>I'm successful. Sounds like
>fun although when I initially
>planned this hunt there was
>supposed to be weather that
>would push them down close
>to home.

And a horse or two?:Do Good luck beanman!

So your point is do you haul out 2 120 loads or 3 80 pound loads? Either way....it's work. Have a blast. Those are the most fulfilling hunts.

We have backpacked out plenty of boned off meat/capes/heads-N-antlers with our Cabelaa's freighter frames.

$109----$149.00 depending on what model ya go for.

Robb

Robb,

I've got a cabela's freighter too and it does the job. But, where I'm going for this hunt, it has too many exposed edges to catch on brush. The weather is the reason I am having to head into this nasty spot, I'd prefer to drop a cow a lot of other places but this is where there are going to be with the hot and dry we've been having. The sleek internal is the pack for this place.

I like a "hybrid" type of pack. A pack that allows you to carry everything you need for the hunt, but quickly turns into a pack frame after the kill. Nothing worse than having to go back to the trailhead/camp to retrieve your pack frame to pack your animal out.

Is it comfortable hiking around with a frame on your back, Bryon? What pack do you use? What happens with the "pack" when you haul the meat out? Just strap the meat to the frame and then situate the pack to the outside of the meat?

I stopped by Seek Outside, a Grand Junction based company a while back, their packs look pretty cool..

Steve,I have been using a kuiu pack for about 5 years now. If you go to YouTube there are videos that show you how the meat sling works. The pack is very comfortable and adjusts quickly to fit different body sizes. They are a little spendy, but you get what you pay for.

Thanks Robb....seems relatively simple. That was a good goat, by the way! I hope things are good with you.

And here it is again, used as a platform to carry out a bison head/cape. I think 4 guys carrying it speaks to the weight. The freighter is getting a workout this year!

23728img3448.jpg

Pred

Damn.....what a beast! Anything that takes that many guys to haul out is massive.

One of the Most Awkward Heads/Animals there is to Deal with!

[font color="blue"]She put a Big F.U. in My Future,Ya She's got a
way with Words[/font]

Chris---

Me and the Mrs did my Wyo Buff just us two!

We did have preddy/Lisa on the I phone for final tenderloin instructions! ha

------------------

Steve I purchased this new one (different brand) last spring.

For $5 more I went with the 2500....very happy with it as well

https://slumberjack.com/compare/1267/1223

Robb

>Chris---
>
>Me and the Mrs did my
>Wyo Buff just us two!
>
>
>We did have preddy/Lisa on the
>I phone for final tenderloin
>instructions! ha
>
>
>------------------
>
>Steve I purchased this new one
>(different brand) last spring.
>
>For $5 more I went with
>the 2500....very happy with it
>as well
>
>https://slumberjack.com/compare/1267/1223
>
>Robb

Nice Robb!

Where'd You Draw the Tag?

[font color="blue"]She put a Big F.U. in My Future,Ya She's got a
way with Words[/font]

I use an old external pack frame that I purchased when I was twelve years of age. 27 years, 15 elk and 18 deer, and over 50 back packing expeditions later, I am still using it. The pack cost me $110.00 27 years ago (Camp Trails is the brand). You don't need anything special to pack an animal out, I am living proof of that!

This is the old pack in action this year on the elk hunt...
36597img2269.jpg

>Are there much differences between different
>brands of pack frames? Starting
>to research buying one. Any
>suggestions? Thanks.
>
>Steve
>
>Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good
>health for granted because it
>can be gone in a
>heartbeat. Please go back and
>read the last line. This
>time really understand what it
>says.

I have had several over the years! Like mentioned for just packing meat out, it is hard to pass up the far,e packs from Cabelas, Bass Pro or Gamder Mtn. They are adjustable comfy and do the truck! Having packed several elk epseveral miles, they are nice! I also have used a Kelty Fra,e for elk quarters!

Most recently I was given the Eblerestock frame you used with Matt. I really like that frame as it is small light and easy to use. Earlier this year I packed out my mule deer head, cape and both fronts sholders.

I a, not sure you got my pack adjusted very well as it still kind of fit me and now of course I am still trying to get it back to fit me, haha!

I have been using the enter stock just one as a day pack and pack frame in one! It is too heavy for a day pack but is nice for a packin pack and still solid for a frame pack use.

If I have to buy another I will be back to the cabelas pack as it is the best bang for the buck!

I liked the way that pack fit, Rob. It wasn't loose on me when I used it so maybe you're skinnier than you thought! LOL. I kind of like the ALPS frames for the money but haven't heard anybody mention them. I hope you have a good Thanksgiving!

If you are looking for strictly just a frame to pack meat, then no I do not think there is really any difference. Only thing I would say to look for is get a frame that has the supports in center of frame near your lower back welded in place, not the ones that are just set in place.

I have hauled many loads in the 80-120 pound range on two different pack frames, one was $55 (gander Mountain) other was $65 (I think sportsmans). Not once did I think I needed a more expensive frame, they are comfortable. I would still be using the original one but it was not welded and finally bent too often so I bought a welded one. I am rather certain I will never buy another pack frame in my life.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Thanks for the info, guys!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom