Pack Help

cbeard

Very Active Member
OK guys it is time for a new pack and I have narrowed it down to 3 and would appreciate any input from the MM'ers. I am not going to be hauling more than 60 lbs. or so and a 3 day bivy will be my limit. My choices (and specific questions) are:

1)Eberlestock J107- I like its fit and the gun-scabbard feature is attractive to me. Does your rifle/bow ride comfortably in the scabbard?

2)Mystery Ranch NICE frame/Crew Cab. It's a little heavy and quite expensive but I have heard MR packs are virtually indestructible.

3)Kifaru Siwash- Again,expensive but I have a Kifaru Spike Camp and love it. My only knock is Kifarus are top loaders and I do not like their Gunbearer system. Can you lash a rifle/bow on this pack securely with no problems?

I am leaning towards the Eberlestock at this point primarily because of the cost but you guys' input will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Clay

I will try and help or give my opinions. The J107 is well built and very well laid out, but will be the least comftorble around 80-100 lbs.

The CC MR is bomb proof and industructable, but too short so I could not get the weight off my shoulders and it is very expensive and heavy. USA made

Kifaru has the best suspension system out there in my opinion and the Siwash opens up, so not really a top loader. The gun bearer works great, so try it before ruling it out. My only complaint is I like the pockets and stuff on the mass made hunting packs, but small trade off. You can find some deals on gently used Kifarus on their website. USA made with lifetime support and top notch customer service.

Good luck!!

Just adding my opinion as well since pack can become a heated conversation...

I personally don't think the Elberstock is in the same class as the MR or Kifaru packs. I have not owned one so am only basing this opinion based on looking at them at shows, checking out one owned by a friend and the relative price points. I recommended one to a friend who wanted a versatile pack but didn't want/couldn't pay the price of a MR or Kifaru pack.

I've owned Kifaru spike camp an siwash. I sold my spike camp but still have the siwash as a backup pack. I've used the siwash on multi-day elk hunts. I've had to add pods to expand capacity to carry the necessary gear. I love all the kifaru pods, dock & lock and various other bags but by design they are added to the outside of their packs. If you are not careful with what goes where you can throw off the balance of the pack. As mentioned, I've owned several of Patrick's packs but also own several of his tipis, tarps, etc. Patrick has been at this game for so long and puts so much attention into his products, it is hard to go wrong with Kifaru. He had been designing true hardcore backpacking quality packs for hunters and puts more time in the backcountry using them than any any producer I'm aware of.

MRCC is now my primary pack. I prefer expanding a pack by adding gear inside the pack and keeping the weight closer to my back. And the flexibility of this pack is amazing. I use to own Dana Design packs back in the day and this history is a big reason I'm now in the MR camp (DD packs are some of the best packs ever made). I agree that the weight is a big negative, but am still at the point of justifying this by telling myself that any time the extra couple pounds is going to make a difference (heavier weights) is going to be the point I'm glad I have the MRCC pack anyway (suspension, comfort, etc.)!

Sounds like you've already done your homework by limiting your selection to the 3 packs you have mentioned. If price point is the overriding factor, buy the Elberstock, but plan to likey buy another pack in a couple years. The decision for me between Kifaru siwash and MRCC comes down to the modularity design approach you prefer (Kifaru - add 'on' pods/bags; MRCC - add 'in' load cells or other bags).

This is likely going to be a tougher choice for you now with the recent Kifaru G2 packs and new color options! Good luck! Will be interested to hear what decision you end up making and why. Kifaru has a great message board. Those guys can definitely provide you more information on Kifaru packs (probably more than you would ever want! :)).

Theodore Roosevelt once said, "The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value."
logo_pub.jpg

I only have experience with the MR CC so take my opinion for what it's worth.

The CC is heavy. People will tell you that it is so comfortable you won't notice the weight. After using for a couple of years I still notice the weight with my lighter loads (40 lbs or less). However, for the big loads (40 to 90 lbs) the extra weight pays off and the heavy duty suspension and construction are well worth the extra poundage.

It is one of the most versatile packs I've seen. With the side pockets, back pouch, internal space, straps, etc., the loading options are extensive. Last season I was able to bivy hunt for a couple of days with my gear. Then add 50 lbs of boned out meat and haul it all out in one load. That is the beauty of the CC.

lose 2# of fat before the hunt and the pack weight won't mean anything.

I have yet to see anybody shoot a dink 'cause they didn't want to haul a cpl extra pounds.

Thanks for the help so far! (And the weight loss advice too-even though I'm only 165 lbs.;-))

If your interested in Eberlestock have you looked into the JP9 or Blue Widow? If you haven't I'd suggest you look into it. The Blue Widow was designed for archers, thus it doesn't have the void between your back and the pack compartment where the rifle is carried in the J107, giving it a more stable ride. You can still carry a rifle via a butt-bucket attachment or detachable scabbard. I own both a Blue Widow and a MR CC and they are both great packs giving me great flexibility. I don't think you can go wrong with either pack. Good luck.

cbeard,
check out the Outdoorsman Pack System some guys are talking about in the Hunting Gear forum. It looks like a pretty good one to me. I am not a fan of internal frame packs for hunting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom