Pack Rats

cosmic_cowboy

Very Active Member
Anyone out there have any ideas about how to trap/kill pack rats ? My old trucks I leave the hood up and seems to work but I have a Skid Steer and those Falkers build a new nest every nite. Have tried traps and they wont touch them dont want to poison them because of my animals...Thanks
CC

5 gallon bucket half full with water.Put a wire running through a can on the top of the bucket.Put peanut butter on the can.Make a ramp with a board so they can get to the top of the bucket.When they go to jump on the can they fall in and drown.

I had the same problem in my truck. The wood rat has destroyed the inside. Dragging anything it could inside including bones. I got a victor trap added the peanut butter and caught the bugger. Turned out to be a brushy tailed wood rat.

Have caught literally hundreds if not thousands when we had fifty acres in the hills. Use pitted prunes (hard to get off the bait bar) and tie them on also. You will catch quite a few on the same prune but you have to check them daily. I figure if they get the prune maybe they'd die of the runs.

Those suckers are smart. We have hundreds of pack rats out in the oil field. Once you use any style of means to catch or kill one the others learn and you cant catch them. We usually chase them with a shovel and give them a good smack. I have seen a old truck with the cab half full of cactus that the pack rats packed in. its unreal what they can do

Crazy Years ago my brother inlaw was in the auto body paint biss. and they moved into a new warehouse that was infested with mice he made a bucket trap like yours and filled the bucket up with mice for a few nites got rid of them all... so I made one and set it next to my skid steer...Got one mouse but rat piled more sticks.

arrowone...Never tried prunes have tried bacon, peanut butter, and even tin foil and caught Nada! So I tried a prune and Bingo got that falker 1st nite... going to put traps in my out buildings and old trucks Baited with prunes! It works and if you are ever in the Taos area I owe you a cold one!
Thanks Jack

It's like fishing.
Keep trying the trapes, and use different bait.
Sooner or later, you will find something they can't resist.

Just another thank you arrowone4me...have tried to contain my rat problem for 30+ years... everyone told me you can't trap them. Well PRUNES in a victor rat trap works ...have caught 6 in 3 days/nites. So anyone out there with a rat problem this works. One of the reasons I love this forum you can get advice from REAL people that have been there done that !
Thanks Again arrowone4me
Jack

Jack, I use poison and have not lost a dog or cat. I make a T out of 1 1/2" white pvc with a slip T. About 12" on each end and put a cap. I buy the tom cat bait and run a wire through 5-6 of them and put them in center of the T. The wire makes sure they do not run off with the bait.
Modification of a squirrel bait trap.

I use bait and traps for mice and rats.
I made a T like Paul for the bait years ago.
I use a raisin and P-butter on the traps for rats.

Now the rock squirrels/prairie dogs....those suckers take patience and a 22.

Hank you can trap Rock squirrels in a live trap with peanut butter on a slice of bread... works in minutes.Then they are easy to dispatch.
Jack

Up Date on my Rat problem...About 6 weeks have been useing Prunes in a Victor Rat Trap. Caught 29 rats, 8 chipmunks,1 Rock squrel, and 1 rabbit ! Haven't caught in a few nites so I think I put a dent in them ...LOL
Jack

LAST EDITED ON Oct-29-15 AT 05:49PM (MST)[p]We sometimes get them here in the desert. Traps and poison wasn't working. So we mixed up some antifreeze Kool aid. It worked good. There where chewing the pipes in the house. So we thought they we're thirsty. Maybe put it under the hood so your pets can't get to it.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-29-15 AT 06:11PM (MST)[p]...they do make a rat and mouse poison the you mix with water...it is what they use in feed stores and mills where food for the rats is more than plentiful. You dissolve it in water and put it out in chicken waterers.....

230132_1.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom