Packable Rain Wear

Triple_BB

Very Active Member
I did a search for recent posts on packable waterproof rain wear and didn't come up with anything. I'm looking at getting some packable rain wear for this fall. Cost isn't a main concern although I'm not crazy about Sitka's camo pattern. I was looking at some APX pants today. I put on a large pant and it felt like I was wearing a garbage bag. I tried a medium and the waist was just right, but the legs were fairly tight. I'm looking primarily for pants as most of my jackets are already waterproof. Any suggestions?

Triple B: We used to go the packable rain gear route. When backpacking we didn't want to carry extra weight or extra gear so we went to uninsulated Gortex or Dry-Plus Scent-Lok pants from Cabela's in "Revolution Fleece" which is the quietest water proof pants we could find and the "Micro-Tex" is second but a little noisier. Thats what we use for archery or rifle hunting now. No more packing extra rain pants we have them on all the time so we are always geared up rain or shine.

I am with you on the Sitka I hate that camo pattern :)

Good luck choosing a pant and what works best for you.

))))-------->

I just returned from a Stone Sheep hunt in the Yukon. It rained every day and I found my new Kuiu rain gear to be the best I have ever tried. It's light weight, wears like iron and does not leak a drop. It has pit zips and vents very well. I also found it held up to brush and tree stabs that would have shredded my other gear. I thought it would be a little noisey, but after it's broken in a little, and when it gets wet it is very quiet. I wore it for abut 10 of the 14 days and found it to be excellent.
MTShasta

The Kuiu Chugach set is the best I have seen. If you hurry and get it today it may still be on sale. Best hunting gear I have seen or purchased. Highly recommended.

Question for you Kuiu guys. How quiet is it. I do a lot of spot and stalk which always seems to involve walking through some tall sage brush or thick cover. How quiet is it? I read on one site after seeing this and one guy posted that it's fairly noisey?

>Question for you Kuiu guys.
>How quiet is it.
>I do a lot of
>spot and stalk which always
>seems to involve walking through
>some tall sage brush or
>thick cover. How quiet
>is it? I read
>on one site after seeing
>this and one guy posted
>that it's fairly noisey?

I'd like an answer to this one too?

"We must hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately."
BF

I haven't used mine yet - just got it in the mail a few days ago. It's right about in the middle as far as noise goes right now. It's not quite like fleece or something with some nap to it, but it's not as noisy as a straight mountaineering hard shell. I've heard it also gets quieter with use.

For me, it's weight, build quality and breathability are good enough that I'll overlook the noise it's making right now.

I've got some of the gore tex paclite stuff, and I like the Kuiu stuff better. It also is reported to breathe quite a bit better. Every report I've seen from guys wearing the Kuiu stuff raves about it.

I have the Kuiu have not worn it in Alaska but here in Oregon :) this spring. I really like it so far its noiser than I would like so I am glad to hear it will soften up. Its light and breaths well and finally some decent rain gear with good pits and legg vents. Its also cheaper than sitka.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

You may wanna look into the Gamehide Hushhide rain pants. They're about $80 or so. Pretty quiet, durable, and pack into their own pocket. I will often just wear them over my baselayers if its not too cold and the brush is wet. For the money they are good.

hey you guys with the kuiu rain gear. Is it windproof?

thanks

"We must hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately."
BF

According to my sound level meter, the Kuiu Chugach and Sitka Gear Stormfront are about the same as far as noise goes. One was 71db and the other was 70db in my unscientific but practical test. They are different kinds of sound but they are about the same level.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I hear good things about the ASAT raingear... and they pack down SMALL.

For myself, if its just a light rain my other clothes work fine and they dry quickly and still keep me warm. If its a downpour I'm going to be hunkered down somewhere and just want to stay dry. So noise isn't a huge factor for me where I would need raingear. Heck right now I just carry a packable poncho if it gets too wet!

Mike

I haven't been to ASAT's website for a while now but, I don't remember their rain gear being advertised as breathable. If rain gear doesn't breathe you will be miserable in it. I have purchased less expensive rain gear in the past and have been disappointed and ultimately wasted money. My complaints range from too heavy, not 100% waterproof, doesn't breathe well, no pit zips, etc.

After buying KUIU base layers, Guide vest and jacket, Attack Pants and other gear I will be spending my money on the Chugach jacket and pants. I am very happy with the quality and fit of all the KUIU gear.

Cabelas space age Raigear. Not the quietest or most breathable but at a good price, but while I was out hunting deer in the central Utah muz hunt my buddies were at Cabelas in Provo shopping. It rained all day long and I never got wet.
As a side. I was the only one that took home some tender venison. A nice fat 3x3.

Cabela's MTO50's or rain suede. My buddy wore sitka on our hunt this year and sounded like he was wearing one of those plastic tarps. Unbelievably noisy.

WH

I currently use the MT050. I found them to be very heavy, and I am thinking about finding another set of rain gear. I carry my rain gear just about everyday, so weight is important. I will say it works well.

I owned Sitka rain pants when they first came out, and found them to be very noisy.

I use and like the cabelas space age rain gear also becase an less than 2lbs all in I pack it all the time. Very waterproof. Now in Idaho we don't have downpours(10" or precip a year here), so this is only needed for a few hours most of the time. I also own the MT050 which I will wear if it is a big storm brewing and it works very well, but I do wish it had pit zips and higher jacket pockets.

I also have the MTO5O and agree with what has been stated about it. Keeps the rain off, but is heavy to carry around all day long. I too am looking for something lighter, breathable and not terribly noisy.

Has anyone given that Russel stuff a thorough test?

Heck ,anything is decent for a half a day rainstorm. All of that napped stuff wets out and soaks through. I'm looking for a less expensive alternate to KUIU and Sitka though I always have PreCip.

Russell APX g2 is made well, waterproof, durable and relatively quiet but despite what you see on theirthe commercials it is not made for high phyical activity like climbing. Meaning it does not "breathe" or pass water vapor and it doesn't ventilate well.

What do you mean "napped stuff"? I have tested the Sitka and Kuiu shells extensively and nothing is soaking through. Wetting out is a term that has to do with too much moisture from perspiration collecting on the inside and that is not the jackets fault.

If GoreTex, eVent or Torray shells are undamaged and the exterior fabrics DWR is kept fresh, they will not let water in from the outside.

Precip is good as a slicker or emergency rain gear but I do not rely on it as a front line hunting piece. The interior coating doesn't hold up well.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

LAST EDITED ON Feb-21-12 AT 00:09AM (MST)[p]Thx for the Russel info.

My eVent jacket is very good at breathable and waterproof but I have never met a jacket that can breath while doing hard climbing with a pack on in wet weather.

The Nap I was referring to is the jackets with an outer fabric layer that even with DWR will wet out on the outer layer in multiple days of rain- read SW Alaskan coast. The wetting out is fairly common in those climes thus the many fans of HH gear. The older Gore Tex stuff was bad about wetting out as is the Rivers West and the premium Cabelas MTO stuff will do it. Ask Jason about it- its one of the reasons he developed that first Sitka line.

I have heard the Kuiu stuff won't wet out and the Sitka prior to GT purchase didn't but I don't have any first hand experience. Sounds like I might have to bite the bullet...

I have three or four dozen shell jackets that over the years were supposed to be the latest and greatest and the truth is that they will all wet out if your physical exertion produces more perspiration then can be vented (actively and or passively) away. It is simple physics, thermodynamics and hydrology.

The waterproof/breathable (water vapor permeable) membranes from Gore-Tex, eVent, and Toray all do a pretty good job of helping to ventilate when the exteriors are dry but you are correct, that capability is severly limited if not eliminated completely when the heavy precipitation starts and that really shouldn't surprise anybody if they just stop and think the process through. There are no magic fabrics yet, you still have to use your brain and manage your layers and behavior. It can be done with out too much trouble.

For what I do, I would still pay the extra money for an established waterproof/breathable shell over one that is not.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I use the Cabelas space rain top because of how light weight it is and I never take it out of my day back. I use the Cabelas rain suede bottoms. They are more durable, extremely quiet and packable. Another thing I like about the rain suede pants is they unzip all the way up the leg for easy on and off. You don't need to spend thousands on your outer wear for triple layer gortex that is heavier, unless you hunt the northwest.

mcfly83, I use the exact same setup. My pants and pullover top combine to weigh only 21 ounces.

If I were hunting Stone's Sheep in Alaska, I would buy KUIU, but for early season thunderstorms in the Rocky's... it works great.

Grizzly

I second the Kuiu Chugach. Light weight, compatable, fairly quiet, good color. The legs zip all the way to the hip for easy on and off over your clothes.

LAST EDITED ON May-07-12 AT 03:06PM (MST)[p]>So what are you wearing under that rain gear? What are your base, insulation layers and are you >using other outerwear ie a fourth layer in that set up?

>Wade
>www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I wear the First Lite Llano crew as a base with a First Lite Chama 1/4 zip over that (that keeps me comfortable from 40-100 degrees). I have a KUIU Guide Jacket and then raingear if I need it. That is plenty warm through the archery hunts.

I throw a KUIU Spindrift in for warmth as the season gets later.

I can't speak highly enough of First Lite stuff for base and mid-layer.

Grizzly

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom