packing heat

time2hunt

After reading the post on the wolf attack( what a crying shame)How many of you guy's pack a weapon of some sort with you in the hills either backpacking,shed hunting,backcountry fishing trip,or out with the pack string and so on.We don't have wolves but we have some weird mo-fo's out there mostly democrates in the woods these days.the old 44mag has seen alot of miles.

I usually have a sidearm. From 9mm up to a 45LC.

beavis.gif

I never go anywhere without my Smith. It goes on the boat, the quad, scouting and even archery hunting. Down here in Az you always have the potential of running into some drug mules out in the desert and I have heard stories about them pulling a gun to demand your truck or quad or food or whatever.

Ruger SP101 1 15/16" barrel in .357 Mag It is small and unobtrusive. I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk that I used to carry archery hunting and backpacking but it was too big and heavy. I ended up putting it in my pack but what good is it there if you need it in a hurry?

BeanMan

I bring my .45 when i'm out in the hills. I want a new compact .40 it's a bit smaller and easyer to carry.

Yep, nearly always. Either a Glock or H&K .40 S&W, or a S&W .357 mag. One of these days I'll break down and buy a big bore. Long live shall issue!

Too many illegals and scum bag dope smugglers in my neck of the woods.

ME & MY SMITH!!!

A FEW YEARS AGO WHEN I FIRST GOT HER I HAD A REAL SMART-ASS LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER SPOT IT ON MY FRONT SEAT!!!

HE SAYS & I QUOTE:I WANT YOU TO DUMP THE CYLINDER & IF I COUNT ANYMORE THAN 4 LIVE ROUNDS YOU'RE IN TROUBLE!!!

I DUMPED THE CYLINDER & HANDED HIM THE LIVE ROUNDS!!!

HE SEEN THERE WAS FIVE LIVE!!!

IMEDIATELY STARTED WRITING THE CITATION!!!

AFTER HE HAD IT WROTE HALF WAY OUT I SAID YOU MIGHT WANT TO TAKE A CLOSER LOOK A THIS .357,YA ITS A SEVEN SHOOTER!!!

BOY WAS HE PI$$ED!!!

99.999999999999999% OF LAW OFFICERS I HAVEN'T HAD ANY PROBLEM WITH BUT THIS PUNK WAS TRYING TO FILL HIS QUOTA!!!

THE ONLY bobcat PACKING A LITTLE HEAT!!!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-06-06 AT 07:40PM (MST)[p]is there a law in Utah that says a revolver isn't legal unless it is 2 short??

JB

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

IN UTARD WE HAVE A FEW DIFFERENT RULES!!!

IT MUST BE SITTING ON AN EMPTY HOLE!!!

AND THE NEXT HOLE MUST BE EMPTY ALSO!!!

THE ONLY bobcat!!!

bobcatbess thats to funny.I always have guns with me but the only time my wife asks for one is when we are bear baiting or heading to Utah.I dont know if shes worried about a bear in Utah or a Utahan at the bear bait???
MULEYZ

Since I hate everyone the same. I don't pack cause if I did I would need a reason not to shoot something or someone! And I don't have one. That and the sight of blood makes me light headed and we can't have that!! And what if I accidently shot my foot! I could never forgive myself.

Rut

Women love me!! Fish shudder at the mention of my name!!
It's not the quack but the flight of the wild duck that leads the flock to destiny!!
Quack Away!!

Because of my job, I can get a permit to pack a sidearm if I want. I chose not to. I work in some serious bear country (both grizz and blacks) and there are a ton of wolves and lions around here too. Have had many a close encounter and have never felt the need for a sidearm. Grin them Down. If it's good enough for Davy Crockett, it's good enough for me. :) :)

>I dont know if
>shes worried about a bear
>in Utah or a Utahan
>at the bear bait???

LOL

i always carry a .357 s&w airlite. ankle,concealed on belt{ yes i have cwp} or outside the belt it pretty much goes wherever i do

I don't think you will ever see a law like that in writing. Not even in Utah. I carry with all chambers full, as every modern revolver should be carried. It is legal in Utah.
Bill

And to answer the original question, I always carry in the city or in my truck. Strangely, to some, I feel safer in the mountains, and sometimes do not carry when in the back country. Wild animals scare me less than wild people.

Bill

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-06 AT 09:35AM (MST)[p]Here is the law in Utah:

"It is unlawful to carry a loaded firearm in or on any vehicle, on any public street, or in a posted prohibited area unless otherwise authorized by law. A pistol, revolver, shotgun, rifle, or other weapon is deemed to be loaded when there is an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile in the firing position. Pistols and revolvers are also deemed to be loaded when an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile is in a position whereby the manual operation of any mechanism once would cause the unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile to be fired. A muzzle-loading firearm is deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball or shot in the barrel or cylinders."

Here is the link I got it from:
http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/StateLaws.aspx?ST=UT

So, that means that Bess is right.

I don't currently possess a handgun and have been on the streets in some dangerous place sof cities like Miami, Houston, San Antonio, Midvale, Altamont, Rangley and Meeker, and have not had any occasion to need one. I have also worked in the High Country of Utah extensively and though we had one at all times - there was never a need for it. However we weren't facing grizzlies or wolves - just a few mean looking rock chucks with really sharp teeth! I will definitely carry one whenever I am on horses though - more for humanity than for safety. My uncle had a horse break its leg up there once and he didn't have a pistol - just a knife so he had to cut the horse's neck - he had nightmares about that until the day before he died.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

"unless otherwise authorized by law". A carry permit means this is irrelevant. From reading the law you quote, it is legal to carry an unloaded pistol in your car or openly on the street (but not concealed, generally). It seems strange that Utah allows a few shells in the cylinder to still be defined as "unloaded". An interesting nuance, that I would have thought applied to very, very few. IMHO, anyone wanting to carry a handgun, usually concealed, is better off obtaining the permit, and then carrying fully loaded. Why would you bother to carry an "unloaded" revolver, with a few loaded chambers? Sort of like carrying a holstered semi-auto, with no clip in the gun. Having the clip in the holster or in another pocket can keep you within the definition of an "unloaded" firearm, but again, what is the point? This topic was about who "carries", I guess I am narrow minded, but I assume that means loaded.
Intersting clarification. Thanks.
Bill

I always carry. On my belt or under the seat. Ruger .357 Mag. Hey Rackmaster, I'd like to have a titanium .44 Mag. How brutal are they to shoot? mtmuley

HE DOESN'T SHOOT IT!!!

IT JUST LOOKS BAD!!!

THE ONLY bobcat GIVING JACKMASTER A LITTLE CRAP!!!

As far as the semi-auto's are concerned.....

You can have a loaded magazine in the gun, but no round in the chamber for it to be considered "unloaded". To fire the gun, you would have to rack the slide and then pull the trigger. That counts as two "mechanical operations".

Same thing goes with a revolver, as long as the gun doesnt go bang with the pull of the trigger, its not "loaded" by definition of the law!

Now me, I vary on what I carry. I usally carry either my "baby Glock .40" or my SPringfield XD40.

SCOTT

IAhunter!!!

READ TUFF BUFFS POST BELOW!!!

HE'S A PRO ON UTAH LAWS!!!

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING THERE OUGHT TO BE STATEWIDE LAWS ALL THE SAME ON GUNS SO A GUY DOESN'T GET HIMSELF IN A JAM!!!

I carry my .45 auto everywhere I go. When traveling to the hills it's exposed on my hip. When meandering around town I carry it concealed.
It never leaves my side,unless I'm working and company policy won't allow it in my work truck,which is understandable,unless I leave town then it goes with me. I feel naked without it. Kind of like leaving your watch or wallet at home.You just can't get it out of your head.

Tuffbucker, I'll have to remember that about carrying in Utah with one in the chamber. I checked Utah laws but didn't think it applied to people with concealed carry permits. The cops don't so why should we? And I know some of us are more qualified with firearms than a lot of law enforcement.

I think it's a stupid law because not all times are you going to have time to rack the slide before you fire. That is something I don't want to have the bad guy hear especially when he's already got one in the chamber. Wyoming law permits it.
I always carry with one in the chamber.All I have to do is flick off the safety and believe me, I have that one down to fine art.

"RKBA....ALL THINGS CONSIDERED"

pronghorn hunter,

It sounds like you have a carry permit. In that case there is no requirement to have an empty chamber. You can carry "condition 1" or "condition 2" - whatever your preference.
The discussion about an empty chamber is only to qualify as having a legally unloaded firearm. No such requirement exists if you have a permit.

Bill

Roy........I think Bess almost got it right.

Unless I'm missing something, in Utah, you don't need to have 2 holes empty in a revolver, only 1 needs to be empty (the next one to rotate into line for firing needs to be empty).

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom