Packing new heat!

FrontierGander

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Jul-07-11 AT 10:41PM (MST)[p]Forgot to post this here!

But 2 weeks ago i had my new CVA Optima .50cal come in. I already have one, but i drew an out of state " NM " muzzle loading tag and so i wanted the thumbhole stock version and so i ordered it, set it up with a Konus Pro 3-10x44 scope and shes ready to go. Trigger breaks crisp and clean at 2lbs.

I really have been impressed with the thumbhole stock as most rifles tend to lift their barrels up in the air when fired off the knee, but this one handles is really darn good and puts the recoil straight back into your shoulder.

She shoots 100 and 110gr Blackhorn209 equally well with the 250gr Aerolite Powerbelts @ 100 yards. I need to stretch out to 200 yards and give her some hell before September 24th rolls by.

But here she is in all her beauty LOL.
DSCN2264.jpg

My go to load of 110gr Blackhorn209, CCI 209 Magnum primers, 250gr Powerbelt Aerolite, 3 shots @ 100 yards.
DSCN2301.jpg

DSCN2303.jpg

No trouble at all getting her to group right out of the box.
www.FrontierMuzzleloadin.powerguild.net

Just got the exact same gun and haven't even had an opportunity to take it out to the range yet. Looking forward to it though. Did ya have to do any modifications to the gun from the factory settings to get it to shoot well?

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

Well ok, since ya mention it. If you don't adjust the head space are you aware if it hurts the guns performance?

up anyway."

not having the correct headspace-does indeed hurt your overall accuracy. I had to adjust mine on my T/C encore recently-it's inevidable, on a "break open" it WILL need to be done sooner or later. This was the first time for me and I've owned my T/C for 6-7 yrs now(and I shoot alot). Look into a "tighter" hinge pin too-it helps maintain accuracy also if you have "play" in it.

>Well ok, since ya mention it.
>If you don't adjust the
>head space are you aware
>if it hurts the guns
>performance?
>
>"Courage is being scared to death
>but saddling
>up anyway."

Accuracy wise, it wont hurt the cva if its not adjusted. It WILL hurt performance with blackhorn209 " hang fire" due to the amount of hot gasses being leaks out into the frame rather than into the powder charge. Loose head space again will allow the primer to blow back into the face of the frame and those hot gasses will scorch your frames finish off, i found out the hard way.

Looks like I have some work to do. See it works the same for the Wolf too as I also got one for the wife too. Doesn't seem to tough. I am surprised at the amount of modification needing done in order to use Buckhorn. Thought CVA would have this worked out by now. Appreciate the asistance...

Al

up anyway."

CVA has a blackhorn209 plug available. Well, it should be available by now anyway LOL. The head space adjustment is simply a tune up tip that works excellent. A lot out there would love to be able to adjust their head space, just not possible on some guns.

Head space adjustment video:

So i got some new bullets in. I ordered some 260gr harvester scorpion PT Golds along with an assortment of sabots for them. I first tried out the red smokeless sabot with 100gr blackhorn209 and while this load was tight, it grouped right at 1" on my first try, under 1" on my next 3 shots.

I switched over to the black crush rib sabot and loaded up a max load of 120gr blackhorn209 and that one did really darn good! My first 2 shots touching. I must have over heated the barrel or i pulled the shot, but i didn't get 3 touching that time. I see great success with these in the future. I just need some darn cooler weather to be able to sit out on the range most of the day, working up loads.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom