Panasonic FZ 18, 8 mpg, 18X zoom

Anaconda

Very Active Member
Looks like Panasonic Lumix is coming out with a new compact camera with 18X zoom.
For those of us who find it hard to get close to a deer or elk, this might be just the ticket.
Hey Joel, any word when these will be available ?

This from Panasonics web site;
DMC-FZ18K NEW! Lumix? 8.1-Megapixel Digital Camera with 18x Optical Zoom, Intelligent Auto Technology, 28mm Wide-Angle LEICA Lens and 2.5" Diagonal LCD, Black

We had some in that were all taken by a corporate account before they even arrived. They will be in again the middle of next week, 10/24. Your cost is 329.99 shipped anywhere in the USA. We have a kit for you with a 1 gig card, case and 3 year extended warranty for 379.99 shipped. I will be in the store Friday morning the 19th and all day Monday the 22. If I'm not in you can speak with Doug to order. This is an amazing camera to take pictures at a long distance.
Joel Paymer
Camera Land
575 Lexington Ave
New York, NY 10022
212-753-5128
www.cameralandny.com

Boneaddict
How do you like it so far (FZ 18)
It's getting down to crunch time, I need to make a decision.

I received the FZ18 I ordered from Cameraland last week. I haven't taken it out in the field with me yet, but was able to play with it this past weekend some. It is definitely an improvement over what I had for digital cameras. I'm looking forward to taking some scenery shots and pictures of critters with it. Love the 18x optical zoom.

Ron

I just looked at this camera at costco, man its nice, that 18x zoom was nice, i zoomed into the other end of the store on 18 on some words on a sign and could read them clearly, i was shaking to at that zoom and took a pic, it was perfect with that image stabilization.

I've had mine for a few weeks now. I really like it. The 18x optical is nice, and I've used the digital zoom to zoom in on some critters too. Here are a couple of examples I'll try and post...

This buck was about 200 yards out. I forget what zoom I had it on here.
P1010590.jpg

This is digitally zoomed in.
P1010593.jpg

Here is a bull that was 560 yards out. I can't remember here what I had it zoomed into either, whether it was still optical or digital.
P1010738.jpg

Here he is digitally zoomed in.
P1010735.jpg

So far, I'm able to use this camera instead of digiscoping. All pictures above were off a tripod.

Sunrise opening day of my dad's elk hunt
P1010586.jpg

It takes some decent hero shots too...
P1010688.jpg

So far I've just used all automatic settings. I really like the camera so far. Not too big to keep accessible, but has lots of reach on far away shots.

Ron

Chocolab, congrats again on the elk with your dad.

It looks like you had the camera at full optical zoom when you took the first pictures of the deer and elk. You can just take a look at the metadata for the pictures and see all of the camera settings when you took the photo. They both show a focal length of 504mm, which I believe would be about 18x with that camera.

Sweet. You dont get anything fancy/nice with the digi zoom...but it will let you see what the bones look like, which is what a lot of us want.

The hero shot came out excellent, the exposure looks awesome to me...

Cant wait to pick mine up!

Ernie

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom