Paper Tuning Question

FamousAddiction

Recently started the fine tuning process before I put broadheads and had a quick question. I shoot a Ross Cardiac 31 7 1/4" BH 70 lbs at 30" Draw. Goldtip Arrows 7595 w/ 100 grain FP. From about 6 feet to 8 yards I'm shooting bullets, best holes I've ever shot through paper. When I step back to about 12-14 yds I get a point high - tail low tear which indicates a low nock point. So I moved it up a fraction, @ 6feet got a point low tail high tear, but my tear at 12-14yds looked pretty good. I've tried everything to find the happy medium but seems I can't get both, I get bullets at 6 feet-8 yds or bullets at 12-14 yds. Is it because my arrows are porpoising a little bit, or am I just catching the arrow (12-14yds) when it's flexing. Forgot to mention when I'm getting bullets at 6feet-8yds I am also getting bullets at 20 yds. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

At 12-14 yards could it just be the arc of the arrow flight, i.e. ARCHery? Kind of like a bullet travels in an arc, so does an arrow. How bad is the point high tear? If it's BAD, then something is probably wrong. Good luck and don't let doubt creep in and kill your confidence this close to the hunt. Also, get all your tinkering done now-that cost me huge last year.

It's not bad at all at 12-14 yds, I'd say 1/16"--> 1/8" point high - tail low of where it should be, I'm not to terriibly worried about because I'm getting great groups out 60-70 yds, I just want to make sure it's not going make me shoot all over the place when I put broadheads on.

Shooting bullet holes is a great way to start to figuring out if something is way off, but lack of bullet holes doesn't always mean something is wrong. This close to the season, I would be shooting nothing but broadheads. If their grouping is way off, I would check the Easton's Broadhead Tuning Guide. I find that my broadheads actually fly better with a little lower Nock point.

Good Luck this close to the season and be sure to post Pix of your success!!

~ERock

LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-09 AT 04:21PM (MST)[p]Don't stress it too much. Go right to broadhead tuning and see what happens. I bet you're close.

With that long of an arrow you could be just slightly underspined. I've found Gold Tips to be a bit soft. Meaning, when on the fence, spine upwards. You might be better off with a .300 spine. Or crank your poundage back.

You are better off to set the knock point at the 14 yd mark rather then the 6. At six yards your arrow may still be trying to stabelize.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom