Pass through or not????

GoatT

All my animals that I have taken with a bow have been total pass throughs and have recovered the animal at most 80 yards or less.

Do you think a non pass through could cause more damage in some cases? Lets hear stories, see pics of blood trails of pass through or non-pass throughs or just plain let me know your opinion. Just curious of what yoou all think.

Thanks

if you hit shoulder blade and only get around 25-50% penetration, that broadhead is gonna chew up the interals of that animal while it runs, simple physics, and had it happen on my bull moose i shot a couple years ago, he went 20yards before piling up in the bush

If your hoping to follow a blood trail, a pass through is always the best situation. The exit wound will allow the blood to flow. If the shot angle is marginal, an arrow that stays in the body will continue to do damage internally. But the risk, obviously, is that with no exit wound the animal could be more difficult to track and recover. I've killed animals both ways, but it almost always is dictated by the angle of the shot. Broadside shots are more apt to result in a complete pass through and this, in my opinion, is by far the better of the two scenarios

4ab3191c1b090851.jpg

Shot this buck in the front chest/upper throat area. Found broadhead(G5Montec)under left arm area. The buck was shot at 21yards and ran about 50yards and was done>

I shot my buck this year at 50 yards with 100 grain wac em head, arrow passed completely through. Both lungs were punctured and he left very little for a blood trail. It took 5 hrs to recover him even though he died quikly. I know this is unusual but it does happen. I found the deer over 100 yards from the last blood that I found by just scouring the area in a circle.

Certainly two holes in an animal is better than one, especially when it comes to spewwing blood on the grownd. On some hits that havent been complete pass throughs for me, the arrow on the entry sode can actually help close of the wound channel, thus preventin blood from comming out the entry hole. However, the broadhead is left to cut and tear as the animal bounds away. I shoot the Striker from G5 and usually dont have a problem abtaining complete pass throughs, unless the arrow strikes heavy bone
Lambo

Two holes are better than one I've always said.

Make each trip afield one to remember!

A complete pass through is always desirable, but I think a non-pass through can be very damaging. For example, I shot a buck this year (42-yard quartering away shot) that didn't pass all the way through. The hit was a little more forward than desired, so the broadhead was barely sticking out his front left shoulder. The arrow broke about 8 inches back from the broadhead and the buck ran a good 100-150 yards or so. The broken arrow must have agitated in him as he ran because he was pretty messed up inside when I cleaned him out and he left a great blood trail after about 40 yards.

My buck this year was quartering slightly toward me at 30 yards. My G5 CS Montec out of my new alphamax 32 did a great job. It did not go all the way through but it was poking out the other side like it wanted to and filleted both lungs. There was not a drop of blood on that mountain so i had a hard time finding the deer for little while. Once I got my buddies fresh eyes out it didnt take long, he only went 60 yards before piling up. Not having the full pass through and the blood did have me sweating for a bit though.

I shot a nice Axis deer in Texas hit the front shoulder went through and hit the off shoulder and knocked him right of his feet and he never got up ....died right there!

Need blood to find your animal most of the time. Always rather have a pass through.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom