Pathfinder Outfitters

songdog

Anyone out there ever hunt with or know anything about an outfit out of Alcova named Pathfinder Outfitters? They primarily hunt elk, deer & cats in units 22, 111, and 16. Looks like they take some good critters in the area judging from their website and I was just curious if anyone had experience with them...

Thanks in advance and best of luck to ya this season!!!

I met them at their Buzzard rd Ranch when asking to hunt some of the out laying Pathfinder ranch property for Muleys, 87, several years ago. Can't remember the Young Man's name who was in charge, strapping fellow, he had 4 Bull elk heads on a flatbed trailer and his group were caping them out for shoulder mounts.

All the Elk were at least Nice ones, a couple were in the gagger category. The young man was personable and granted us permission at the time. I understand that the permission that he granted us then, is not so easily obtainable now.

They also had one antelope to cape. I wasn't too impressed with it but i'll wager that there were better animals to be picked from if the hunter had taken his time in choosing. That's it, all i know.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Haney Stevenson is the older guy in a number of those photos who runs things. I think his son in law does more of the outfitting. The ranch changed hands after the previous owner died awhile back. I've heard the new owners have since tightened up access.

However, if you have a 22, 16, or 111 elk tag, you certainly don't need an outfitter. Plenty of public, plenty of animals and not a lot of pressure. I'd imagine with the cut back in deer, elk and antelope tags this year, Pathfinder Outfitters is probably gonna starve a little bit...

We hunt deer in that area...just a bit south of Pathfinder towards Miracle Mile and the herd is in horrible shape. We didn't see one legal buck 2 years ago in 4 days of hunting....not one legal buck. We won't be back for a few years. Who knows, maybe all the good bucks are on the Pathfinder Ranch?

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-13-14 AT 03:57PM (MST)[p]double post! there's a first time for everything! :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

From reading Wiz's reply above, i think it important to clarify. Wiz was hunting East, in a easy to get general zone while we were hunting 87, a very limited draw Deer hunt of which there is plenty of Public land to hunt. Yes, it is known that the deer numbers are down thru-out the area from my Pard's and my hunt but anyone who can't find "a" buck in 87, i would think is either near blind or just can't hunt. :)

Joey

Thanks for all of the feedback, gentlemen! It is greatly appreciated. I've been researching unit 16 for a late season elk hunt this year and just looking at all of the options available to me. The folks at Pathfinder seem to be good, down-to-earth, hardworking folks and yes, it appears they take some salty ol' bulls. I hope there is a few left over bulls when I get there in November...
Best of luck to y'all in your hunting adventures this year! Thanks again, guys!!!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom