Patton...he still walks amongst us,

My late father in law served under Patton, he claimed to his dying day Patton was a POS. blood and guts as they called him, our blood and his guts, no reguard for human life not even his own men . we can't even get enough troops to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan at the same time so good luck finding enough guys to volunteer to be cannon fodder for a Patton type leader. history only seems to remember the parts about an event or a man it wants to.

What a cheezy chunk of propaganda, maybe next Rommel will come back with a counter attack.

Oh I'm sure Patton is a rotten POS and your father in law single handed won WW2.

JB

LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-08 AT 11:36AM (MST)[p] So you have a better feel for what he was like than some of his troops did, you saw the movie twice right? thet's a pretty low comment about a WWII vet with a purple heart who died in a VA hospital two months ago. I can't even question the Iraq war without hearing what the troops have to say about it but you feel free to discount what a WWII vet and some of his buddies had to say about a man removed from duty for misconduct and nearly discharged was like in their opinion.

Patton accomplished some great victories, but at a very high human toll that many even at the time said could have been lower, if beating Montgomery to the glory hadn't been more important than American lives. my father in law didn't dislike Patton for his war record but for the casual way he treated lives of others, and his childish ego with his Roy Rogers pistols and stupid trade mark dog.

The point is Patton did great things, but he was not a great man, there was more than one slapping and kicking of wounded soldiers besides the civilian abuse credited to the attitude in his speeches and lack of oversight. it shows the kind of man he really was and what he really though of his troops. not a man deserving of a lot of respect but how fitting you should use him as your flag waving propaganda ghost.

Why created computer geek videos anyway? can't you find a real live general to say real words to fire the Bubba's up? smoke and mirrors are good enough huh.

you brought him into this. If patton was my uncle would you not have made the comment?

JB

My grandfather, still alive, served under Patton in the battle of the bulge. My grandafther received a purple heart and a bronze star for his committment to duty and honor. As he tells it Patton was sure enough a hardassed SOB. But he says he would not have wanted to fight under anyone else because Patton was what we needed at the time. He also said that slapping that soldier was one of the best things he ever did. In my opinion as a veteran we need more like him in today's military.

Hats off to Bugler. "My grandfather received a purple heart and a bronze star for his committment to duty and honor." Duty and honor.... real words that mean real things.

"In my opinion as a veteran we need more like him in today's military." Your opinion trumps all.

If anyone thinks slapping ,berating and calling coward a soldier with malaria before ordering him back to the front line the best thing Patton ever did I don't need to hear anymore from that person.

Ike almost sent him home in discrace , this was not his first time pulling a trick like this. it's not that he hurt them as the fact it showed what he thought of them that discusted people at the time.

Anyone who served under him and respected him is entitled to their opinion, I happen to have talked to a half dozen in the vets home who didn't. MacAurthur was another story, I wouldn't want to bad mouth him around any of those old boys, that tells me he was a great man. you can learn a lot from those who were there, I've enjoyed all my visits with them and feel confident they are truly the greatest generation.

"I've enjoyed all my visits with them and feel confident they are truly the greatest generation." The generation and its morals and values your liberal policies, political correctness, pandering have dismantled piece by piece. I too believe they were the greatest generation but I believe in the values of the country at the time that made them unapologetically that way.

Why can't we get a modern day general to speak as frankly? I wish we could...and trust me they would like to but would be crucified if they said anything that might sound mean or insensitive. Truman said "when you have to deal beast you have to treat him as a beast" in referring to the firebombing of Japan. Can you imagine a president saying something so "insensitive" in today?s politically correct climate. He too would be crucified. War is messy business. Dupe been in any war zones lately?

The complacency of fools will destroy them.

Dupe in every war you are going to find men who loved their leaders and others who despise them.

From what I have read Patton was an arogant ass with an ego to match. However it is untrue that he had more men under his command killed than any of the others. It is true however that he was a military genius and was the only General that was truely feared by the Germans. Thank God Patton was on our side.

Do not fret gentlemen there are still men within our amy that are just as hard and just as good as Patton was. Believe me. I'll bet HuntFX4 can attest.

"dude, nothing we can say will make us like as childish/silly as the rants you post. We HAVE posted the parts, you chose to ignore them. We get it, you like soldiers that sell out their fellow soldiers for political gain, and you hate or hold in contempt those that take a stand. We get that you manage to see NOTHING but bad in Republicans, and nothing put pure and honorable intentions from fellow limp wristed libs. We got it already, now move on."
(PRO July 3, 2008)

Someone who understands neither the doctrine of war and the cost of freedom but im glad you took time to speak with some vets at the VA. Im sure.
Political correctness again why should I appologixe to any nation or have someone do it on my behalf. Go ahead keep crying.
Patton was revered by his enemy as a warrior period and that was what he was. A slap to the soldier was to awaken him and although damaging to that soldiers ego and pattons career, it did its purpose.
If A soldier lets say does something like turn around with his rifle in the rifle pit and points it the wrong way what would the Sgt online do? Anyone with military experience can chim in here. Sometimes a slap gets ones attention. Like when my son does something he shouldn't, I get his attention.
But like I said keep crying. You'll all go the way of the buffalo.
Bugler.

During WWII deserters could be and sometimes were shot by firing squad. Seems like to be slapped might not be as bad to me. But then again I don't live in Oregon.

Ransom

What do you clowns smoke? do you think Ike would have removed Patton from command and nearly sent him home for wakeing a guy up with a slap?

The man was in the hospital suffering from malaria and Patton slapped him in the back of the head, called him a coward and ordered him back to the front line, he later came back and berated him again. what the hell does that have to do with deserters? Patton was ordererd to go back and appologize which he did in a whipped pup fashion knowing he was nailed. now if you like the guy I don't care but don't distort the facts to suit your needs like you always do.

Patton's main strategy was to take chances no other leader was willing to take, Rommel said he never believed anyone would sacrifice their men in the mannor Patton would and that's what took him off gaurd. in any event he was not loved by all, that's all I'm saying you just refuse to acknowledge it.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-08 AT 11:48AM (MST)[p]Malaria My Arse. There is such a thing as desertion in the field. Men dying next to you, loss of limbs etc the total carnage of war. Let me say this. Im not touting my grand father as a national war here but to compare the Malaria thing only. My grandfather took a piece of shrapnel from a Nazi .88 it lodged 1/2 inch from his heart. Still there today. During that time after being hit he continued to fight running ammo to light machine guns after being ordered to the aid station. He did this twice until the Capt took him to the aid station himself because he wouldnt have done it until he collapsed. I only talk of it becuase It is the only story I have of my family in WW2 that stands above the rest, and to compare it with the shell shocked soldier in the Aid tent that Patton slapped.
There were thousands of Soldiers of that Generation that continued to fight with injuries and illnesses because it was their mission. The mission period was to fight and win or die and go home. My granpappy said that Patton was one of the most foul mouthed men God aver allowed to be born on the planet and he sure enough was an SOB. But Would you rather follow Obama in Battle or Patton? Get my point? Probably not.

By the way this brings another point to me. I had a football coach in HS that was a real A hole. Or so it seemed. I couldnt stand the SOB. But during the season it changed to I wanted to win games for this coach and for my team because we and he demanded and garnered respect. He was the leader he tought us and we put on the ground what he taught us to do through all of his wild rants and raves. He is considered to me one of the best people I know today and 20 years later I still consider him a friend for life.

Excellent post Bugler!

Each of my grandfathers fought in WW2. One was on Iwo Jima and on other Pacific islands, and another fought in North Africa, Italy, and Normandy. The one in Europe was wounded on D-Day at Omaha. After the beach head was secured, my wounded grandfather (10 small shrapnel wounds from a German hand grenade) volunteered to pick up his buddies bodies off of the beaches.

Don't give us this malaria crap. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't malaria either... he was "too scared".

It was not malaria, they called it "shell shock", he broke down during combat due to traumatic stress. Some G.I.'s referred to it as being a coward.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom