Paunsagaunt

B

bluecoug (Guest)

Have heard all kinds of theories...anyone know why the Paunsagaunt range REALLY has a history of having trophy mounts come out of that area?

Its genes ,food,management as a trophy unit. I hunted last in 2000 and saw 50 bucks a day. All 4 pt or better.
I was an out of state hunter and was shocked at the size of the racks! even saw a 38"-40" (could not pull trigger,had his ass to me).I'm not going to take a bad shot no matter how big.
I think most hunters that are from UTAH do not know what the Paunsagunt is! They do not know just how big they get! Saw mostly very small bucks taken! Some people pay 10k to hunt it every year. I will pay to hunt it next year!

I have been forunate to draw a tag on the Paunsaugunt this year. My hunt starts on Saturday, October 4. Rackmaster, did you hunt the National Forest area, up by Bryce Canyon or the lower part down by Glendale and Kanab? I have scouted and picked my area where I will be going. Just curious if you wouldn't mind sharing any information. If so, feel free to email me at [email protected]

Mark

I have hunted elk there twice with the ar-301 tags. I would stay low. Most of the deer have started migrating down to the desert already. I was up top 1 week ago, and hardly saw any deer. I will be hunting cow elk there on the 14th. If you see one, will you tie her up for me??>?

REMEMBER......SHOP AT JOES

just got back from muzz elk hunting my father in law is still down there. we saw tons of deer all over the place. we mostly hunted around the podunk area on top. we didn't see very many good bucks but they are there. try driving the road off of the top that takes you to the gate at deer springs and make the loop back up top . we saw a toad buck under the red cliffs!the deer are moving but i think you will still find a ton on top. kanab, bubber and skunk were all full of deer !

Joesshopshack, and CP, thanks for the information. I really appreciate it. My plan was to set up camp in Crawford Canyon and then go from there.

Mark

CP,
I also just got back from hunting with my father-in-law on the elk muzzleloader. Where were you camped? We were camped right off the road that goes to bridge hollow. What kind of care were you in? Just curious to know if you got anything. We saw tons of deer in all of the flats around that area at night with our spotlight. We saw a couple of good elk taken but nothing grand. In fact my father-in-law is still down there looking for the nice elk we shot on Sunday night. I hope he finds him because he was really nice, probably around 355-360.

JUST JUMP THE FENCE AND HUNT LUTHERWOOD OR HEATONS... (THE CARTERS WOULD!)

JUST DO LIKE THE CARTER BOYS DO.....HOP THE FENCE AND HUNT HEATONS OR LUTHERWOOD... IT'S A SIMPLE PLAN....AND IT WORKS!

we were camped at podunk and i was driving a white toyota tacoma. my father in law is rick phillips and he is still camped in the same place.

CP,
My father-in-law Mike Bird knows your father-in-law Rick pretty well, he is staying in the trailer with Rick. I saw you that night we were spotlighting those elk out in the flat and you drove by and stopped for a second, I was in the silver Xterra. Anyway, I guess it is a small world.

Hey BEAVERBOY, or BEAVER COUNTY RULES. There are a lot of Carter boys in this area. There are a lot of people jealous of the animals that they kill. As far as I know they were never convicted of anything, and they recieved their deer head back. If you want to say much more about CARTERBOYS then I would like you to post your real name, and quit hiding behind your computer. Chad Carter

HEY BEAVERBOY AND BEAVERCOUNTYRULES (WHO EVER YOU ARE?)
I HAVE HAD THE PRIVILAGE OF WORKING WITH ALOT OF THE "CARTER BOYS" AND HUNTING WITH THEM.. AND I THINK YOU BETTER BE ALOT MORE SPECIFIC ON WHO YOUR TALKING ABOUT, THERE IS ALOT OF THEM, AND MOST OF ALL POST WHO YOU ARE? ...
ANOTHER THING YOU DIDN'T EVEN ANSWER THE ORIGINAL QUESTION DUMB***! GET A CLUE!

Maybe your'e an outofstater, maybe too young to know - but just about every place in the state used to be a trophy area. The Paunsugaunt was closed for quite a while. There is a fair amount of private land in the area and it is managed for trophies. Too bad about all the mismanagement elsewhere. The Paunsagaunt is not even as good as it once was, but nowadays it's about as good as it gets.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom