Paunsagunt Cactus Bucks

Grandslam

My son and I drew Cactus buck tags for the Paunsagunt. I am hoping someone that is hunting this unit (this year or previous years) for archery/muzzleloader/rifle will contact me if they saw any big Cactus bucks, or can provide any helpful information. E-mail me at [email protected].

wow....are there that many cactus bucks on the pauns???

that sounds like it could be a really tough hunt....

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

There are some Cactus bucks on the Pauns. but it seems filling that tag would be like finding a needle in a haystack. Good luck and hope you find a big one.

The Fish & Game claim there are between 200 to 300 on the unit. Apparently they contacted a virus at some point and it makes them sterile. They cannot reproduce and they never lose their antlers, or their velvet. They hold the hunt in November, so if you see one with velvet they are definitely a Cactus buck. All normal bucks lose their velvet in September.

200-300?

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-19 AT 04:44PM (MST)[p]If the Fish andGame claims 200 to 300 that translates to maybe 20 or 30.

Try Johnston Canyon.

Remember they won't be rutting like the the rest of the bucks.

Good luck.

>LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-19
>AT 04:44?PM (MST)

>
>If the Fish andGame claims 200
>to 300 that translates to
>maybe 20 or 30.
>
>Try Johnston Canyon.
>
>Remember they won't be rutting like
>the the rest of the
>bucks.
>
>Good luck.

I think 20 is pushing it. We have a number of antlerless bucks here in the unit where I live. During the rut they are some of the most aggressive bucks.

I kept seeing the same two down there on my hunt in 2016, but the bigger one was skirting the private Heaton ranch below Alton, saw him every time I drove through there.
The other one was holed up in Nephi pasture.

I'm Callin BS on 200-300 CACTUS Bucks on any one Unit in the State anywhere!

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

My understanding is there were outfitters and the DWR that we're willing to help out on these hunts as they absolutely want these deer gone.

Has that ship sailed and do they no longer do that?

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-19 AT 10:23PM (MST)[p]I'm going down for this hunt later this fall to help a 75 year old lady who drew.
Hopefully I'll have something good to report.
68184screenshot20190905222225gallery.jpg

They actually are a common sighting on the Pauns winter range. There one of those things you see all the time until you go looking for them. There have been some big ones and pretty ones killed on Pauns tags over the years but most are just a mess. My niece has a tag so I imagine we will just split up and cover country to locate one for her.

>We?re any of them shooters?

With that mentality, I'd be shocked if you fill a tag. 1) this isn't a trophy hunt, this is a management hunt. Going into it thinking you'll find a trophy more than likely will leave you disappointed. 2) this isn't a LE type hunt, you see one, you shoot it. There aren't enough to be passing them up hoping to find a bigger one. THEY ARE ALL SHOOTERS.
@screaminseagull

Given this is a November Hunt, I'm guessing you'll be think into bucks the whole time. Please take pics and video if you can... Bring us all along for the hunt.!! :)

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

I helped a friend on it last year and have been on the Winter range a fair amount the last few years. Keep in mind that if a buck is big, he doesn't get passed up on the other hunts that are before yours. Most everything I have seen down there including the one we killed are just big ugly 2 points with a bunch of crap coming out of the bases and still in velvet. Also most of the ones I've seen there are on private property to boot so if you see one on public, shoot it.
This is most definitely not a trophy hunt but there are possibilities of it If you get lucky. That said, We did have fun and thats what its all about,

The best thing is that they don't produce testosterone so 1) they shouldn't be reproducing and 2) they should taste decent

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Before the draw I contacted the wildlife biologist that overseas the Paunsagunt about the Cactus Buck population and he told me that if it were him he would not waste his time hunting them. Just my 2 cents...

OMB

There's room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potato's and gravy.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom