Paunsagunt Services

Zim

Very Active Member
I'll be in the Paunsagunt for as long as 5 weeks, and will need to do some work via my laptop to extend my stay. I'm curious if anyone knows how the Verizon cell signal is there. And if there are any libraries or restaurants where I can hookup my electronics. I have two cell phones & an iPad with wifi hotspots, plus a independent Mifi device, so I don't need a wifi source. Just a good 3 bars of cell service.

Also, I'm going to need connectivity in the field if possible. I'm wondering if there is such a product as a battery operated cell signal booster. I've started shopping online but these product descriptions are confusing. Thanks.

^^ What Aerosith said may be a good option.. I've seen a couple YT videos online where guys packed into wilderness but took everything needed to access Starlink. That way they could do a day-by-day upload of their hunts...

Starlink is definitely best bet for in the field.

I believe you have the archery tag, correct? Panguitch is probably your best and closest bet for libraries and restaurants, though it is a very small town in its own right.

^^ What Aerosith said may be a good option.. I've seen a couple YT videos online where guys packed into wilderness but took everything needed to access Starlink. That way they could do a day-by-day upload of their hunts...
I’m all for starlink to keep fires out at work and keep in touch with loved ones but that last sentence is the saddest thing I think I’ve ever read about hunting. The level of narcissism required for that sets a whole new bar.

Thanks people, I went to the Starlink website and have been reading up. Then checked my time zones, schedule & hardware spec sizes & weights. I think I could make this work on the Roam plan. Anyone know if the subscription can be done just 4 months/year? It seems so, by what I have read so for.

Zim, a couple years ago in Colorado we needed to attend a meeting so we could hunt whitetails back east no if ands or buts, we had to do the meeting or we were out of the program.
I called before we left Pa to the Twp?Police dept in a small town 30 miles from our camp and asked if there was anyway we could use their Wifi for that meeting. Man, there were more than willing to help. In the end they set us up in the TWP conference room for our meeting. Offered us water etc...
They could not have been nicer, Thank You Rangley Co.

Just an idea

Zim, a couple years ago in Colorado we needed to attend a meeting so we could hunt whitetails back east no if ands or buts, we had to do the meeting or we were out of the program.
I called before we left Pa to the Twp?Police dept in a small town 30 miles from our camp and asked if there was anyway we could use their Wifi for that meeting. Man, there were more than willing to help. In the end they set us up in the TWP conference room for our meeting. Offered us water etc...
They could not have been nicer, Thank You Rangley Co.

Just an idea
I remember ya doing that. Glad you got the help needed!

I put Starlink on my trailer and it works well. It uses a ton of power though. I did a 12V conversion since it's more efficient than an inverterv and I don't want to have to run a generator just to check an email, etc... It still uses nearly 20ah to boot up and about 5a running idle after that.

It's also heavy and would be difficult to transport/use without a trailer. Taking everything you need to fire it up and work out of the truck while hunting would be difficult and unwieldy.

It's also expensive ($600 up-front and $150/mo after that, iirc)

During the archery hunt I’d go to rubys inn during the day and use their WiFi and sit out on the patio to put in a half day. Saved me a couple days pto

This! ^^^

For an archery hunt, Bryce Canyon City is likely your best/closest bet. Internet service is pretty good there in the area for Verizon.

Panguitch isn’t super far, depending on where you’re staying/camping. There will be more there, but not a ton more.

I put Starlink on my trailer and it works well. It uses a ton of power though. I did a 12V conversion since it's more efficient than an inverterv and I don't want to have to run a generator just to check an email, etc... It still uses nearly 20ah to boot up and about 5a running idle after that.

It's also heavy and would be difficult to transport/use without a trailer. Taking everything you need to fire it up and work out of the truck while hunting would be difficult and unwieldy.

It's also expensive ($600 up-front and $150/mo after that, iirc)
I see it’s a little pricy, but given my work situation/PTO savings, I think it would be a wise investment. I would mainly only need to use it to email a few times daily for maybe a hour total. The heavy comment surprised me, because I added up the hardware weights (antenna, router, battery) for the ROAM plan and it came out to just 10 pounds. I would not need to take these with me while hunting. They could stay in my truck.

If I just need to check email daily, how often do you think one battery would last? Can I recharge via cigarette lighter in my truck?

Last edited:
Anybody know if this unit is conducive to me bringing my ebike? The plan is to tree stand hunt trails between bedding & burns, plus maybe some water tanks.

Anybody know if this unit is conducive to me bringing my ebike? The plan is to tree stand hunt trails between bedding & burns, plus maybe some water tanks.
Definitely take it-slow roll some of the areas on top of the plateau and you just might get a shot at a great buck. Lots of roads for OHVs that would be great with a quiet bike and save some wear and tear on your vehicle.

Hey Zim!

With All That Electronic BS You're taking With You We Will Expect Minute By Minute Coverage Of Your Entire Hunt!:D
I don’t have much choice as far as the electronics go. I need to protect my job best I can. I expect I will check in and leave updates after my wife departs if I have enough energy. The heart failure & two torn Achilles wore me down last couple hunts. I just hope to have an enjoyable hunt with no health disasters.

I see it’s a little pricy, but given my work situation/PTO savings, I think it would be a wise investment. I would mainly only need to use it to email a few times daily for maybe a hour total. The heavy comment surprised me, because I added up the hardware weights (antenna, router, battery) for the camping plan and it came out to just 10 pounds. I would not need to take these with me while hunting. They could stay in my truck.

If I just need to check email daily, how often do you think one battery would last? Can I recharge via cigarette lighter in my truck?
It's not so much the pounds as the size and awkwardness and the fact it's high-end electronics. There's no good way to store or transport it. The Gen2 fit in a 12 gallon tote from Home Depot, but the Gen3 is too big. I still haven't figured out a good, safe, way to transport it.

I have the router, power supply, cable, DC converter, shutoff, etc... fixed inside a compartment on my trailer and then run the cable out to a pole for the dish when I'm setting up camp.

20240519_215527.jpg

If you're staying mobile and setting up/taking down each time you use it, you'll need a protected way to store it and then a way to keep cords, etc... contained in between uses.

Also, there's no built-in battery (at least on mine). You'll need to supply the power storage if you go that route. Mine uses the batteries for my trailer. Do you have a 110 outlet in your truck? If so, just plug in the router and run the cable to the dish out to a spot with open sky and you'll be good to go.

It's not so much the pounds as the size and awkwardness and the fact it's high-end electronics. There's no good way to store or transport it. The Gen2 fit in a 12 gallon tote from Home Depot, but the Gen3 is too big. I still haven't figured out a good, safe, way to transport it.

I have the router, power supply, cable, DC converter, shutoff, etc... fixed inside a compartment on my trailer and then run the cable out to a pole for the dish when I'm setting up camp.

View attachment 146273

If you're staying mobile and setting up/taking down each time you use it, you'll need a protected way to store it and then a way to keep cords, etc... contained in between uses.

Also, there's no built-in battery (at least on mine). You'll need to supply the power storage if you go that route. Mine uses the batteries for my trailer. Do you have a 110 outlet in your truck? If so, just plug in the router and run the cable to the dish out to a spot with open sky and you'll be good to go.
Do you have the Roam plan? I clicked on the hardware details and it lists a battery in the inventory list.

Do you have the Roam plan? I clicked on the hardware details and it lists a battery in the inventory list.
Yes, I have the Roam. There's not a battery, the Power Supply listed is the AC adapter. It's like what is used with a laptop to convert power from AC (wall plug) to DC (which runs Starlink); it's a plug with a cube/brick on the cord.

I did a DC/DC conversion via an adapter that takes my trailer batteries (12V) up to ~55V that Starlink uses to avoid going to AC and then back again. This effectively allows me to run Starlink on solar, but it takes a lot of solar because of how high the power draw is.

You'll need to either plug into your truck or generator, get an aftermarket battery with plug (lots of power supply options on Amazon for a few hundred dollars), get a battery and inverter, or use a battery you have and run a DC conversion.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom