paunsaugunt

C

cowboyfan

I drew on the paunsaugunt deer hunt, but have never been in that area. My brother rifle hunted it a few years ago, but seems to think the deer migrate and are in totally different areas in the bow season. Has anyone hunted archery recently there that would be willing to give me any tips on where to scout, and how to hunt the area?

No, were all to jealous, sorry. I'm joking, friend of mine drew that tag a few years ago and he did real well over by Hatch. Hatch is a little town on Highway 89, there is a road that heads east on the south end of town that will take you along the foothills and into some good country. Another place I would suggest is over by Alton, you have probably heard of the Heaton's ranch over there. Anyway, there is some great country over there, just make sure you know your boundries; meaning, make sure you don't end up on the Heaton ranch because it is a CWMU and not considered part of your hunt, obviously. Good luck!

Well i live next to the paunsagunt and I can give you a few clue but not on here. Email me at "[email protected]"

three years ago we killed a 31" 4x4 over there with a bow. It was featured in the Jan 2003 bow and arrow magazine.

Dillon Hoyt

Not to burst your bubble but the Paunsaugunt has really went downhill. It is far from a premium unit. During the Archery hunt the deer are up high near Tropic Reservoir. Good luck!

I had this tag in 1999 and hunted primarily in lower country. It was hot but just about daily monsoons cooled things off for the late afternoon hunt periods and made camping at night comfortable. I was kinda after one of two bucks that lurked in the area I was hunting and they were too smart for me that year.
I had one likely opportunity and another hunter unknowingly spooked the big bugger just as I was going in for the attempted kill shot. Hey, that's hunting!
I had a grand time and you'll not hunt in more beautiful surroundings. The country east of Hatch and north of the Heaton's place does hold quite a few deer and lots of folks hunt up near Tropic so checking those areas out is wise. You'd do well to scout if possible during the weekends prior to your hunt. Most importantly, have a good time and savor the opportunity as it's dang tough to draw that unit. Don't allow others' ideas of what a "trophy" is rob you of having a good hunt, whether you arrow a buck or not. Take what God offers, if anything is offered at all.
Good Luck!!

I put in for the Pauns archery hunt myself! No luck in the draw.....of course!
The unit has few large bucks left on it, but if a 150ish type four pointer gets you excited, then your opportunity for a great hunt is much better than average. And for the record, a 150 4x4 still gets me pumped up when I'm using the ole flipper stick.
You can find bucks anywhere on the unit, but I would try to stay in the fringe country. If you hunt the higher elevations, you will likely have lots of company from other hunters and weekend enthusiasts. Likewise deer in the lower elevations tend to be extremely difficult to stalk due to the amount of pressure they receive from muley fanatics. (Me included) The road East out of Hatch would be a great starting point! Take BuckSnorts advise and savor the moment. The opportunity will not come around very often.

I can tell you it was mentally taxing to try and ambush a buck in the lower country. Forget about a tree stand as there are beau coup cedars and junipers but virtually nothing stout enough to hang a stand in. You just have to try and find some bucks and pattern them until you have an idea of their prefered ins and outs between their food source and bedding areas. Then you can lay up on their route and try an ambush. I can tell you the bigger bucks didn't grow their impressive antlers by being stupid! If the wind shifts, or you crunch some lava under a boot sole, have your arrow fall off a rest, rustle a limb on a bush, whatever...they are up and gone! Spooky bastards!

I had one buck in particular, a 6X5 with a tripod back fork that was pretty dang heavy horned and a spread in excess of 30", that I kept dogging day after day. One day he came out too far south, the next day too far north, the next day right where I wanted him if I'd of stayed where I was the day before....frustrating for sure! I went home to AZ for a few days to stamp out some fires at the office and returned to the same area and the place was covered up in bucks! I laid in wait in some lava rocks and sure enough, there he was, across a grassy flat and up in the edge of some sage and cedars. He wouldn't cross the flat towards my position, but rather bedded in the brush and cedar trees. I backed out, drove my truck way around the country, totally changed all my clothes, put on the scent absorb powders and sprays, started a s-l-o-w stalk on a powder-soft sandy trail, until I was about where I thought I'd be in line with his bed area and down wind of the bugger. Sure enough, I started slipping up into the thick stuff and there he was, bedded right freaking there! He pegged me, froze and then exploded from his bed and pounded the heck out of there. Bummer! It's fun but frustrating. I probably have 10 stories like this just from that hunt. It was a blast and you'll have a great time too.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom