Pausaugunt Archery Deer

K

kkelley

I drew a pauns tag and was looking for information about that area. Could anyone give me some info on the better places to hunt or possible an outfitter?

I archery hunted the unit in 2003 - my recommendation for you is to pick a couple weekends this summer before the hunt and go camp by Tropic Reservoir. Scout the areas south of the reservoir near the Podunk Guard station area as deer densities seemed to be higher the further south we got from the Reservoir when I hunted it.

You shouldn't have any problem finding deer on top and a few scouting trips should help you nail down some good areas to be come opening morning.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Good luck on a great hunt-there are not many areas more beautiful to hunt than the Paunsaugunt in August/September. I would love to be able to bowhunt there again someday.

Cory

I hunted there last year with my bow and shot a 180 inch 5x5 right by the podunk guard station. I 100% agree with what Cory told you.

There are a lot of good deer spots down there.
Well good luck to you, scout hard.

Under the pinks is CWMU. I wouldnt recommend it usless you have the tag for it.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-09 AT 10:35PM (MST)[p]Yes most all of them migrate south. The trails are anywhere that they can get off of the white ledges. So only a few spots.

I had that tag last year and had a great hunt. If you hunt above Tropic Reservoir, every creek drainage will have bucks in them. I scouted for 7 days last year prior to hunting and I saw a ton of bucks. Badger, Robinson, Skunk Creeks, etc will all have deer in them. Finding which ones have the best bucks are year to year and will be up to you though.

As mentioned, behind Podunk Guard Station is a good spot also.

Good Luck,
Hammnit

post pics of your archery pauns bucks you guys shot last year.particularly that one that was 180 5x5 would like to see it

Took this picture down there a couple days ago.
It was low light and turned a little out of focus,
but you'll get the idea......

Saw better ones we did'nt get pics of too.
4a70f4335064d578.jpg

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom