Paying It Forward....

R

raftfreak

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-12 AT 07:43PM (MST)[p]Well, I guess it's time to pay it forward...
I'm primarily just a lurker, mainly i love hearing sheep stories & seeing the pics. So I thought I had better post my OIL hunt pics, it was an awesome experience.

Goal was to access sheep country from the river without bumping into any other hunters. Mission accomplished, plus i harvested a nice sheep to boot...

The pic w/ the snow, was taken when I had gotten home.

648512-1111_raft-sheep3,_snow.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-12 AT 07:56PM (MST)[p]OKAY, now to post pic.... doesn't want to play
Little help here...

587712-1111raft-sheep4snow.jpg

Nice ram Raftguy!
You obviously like rivers and were somehow able to combine two passions on your OIL hunt.
Most hunters will only be able to live a sheep hunt vicariously so if you really want to "Pay it forward" you can tell us the story and post more pics! LOL

Congratulations

Congrats..great ram and one to be proud of. Tell us more, we never get tired of successful sheep hunts.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

As you ALL KNOW- The only proper way to tell ANY epic hunting adventure is around a campfire, in a comfortable camp chair, with a cold drink (of your choice), along with my main hunting buddy (which I thank dearly) and a good three hours allotted to tell this adventure.... but some highlights are:

Utah Rocky Mtn Bighorn
1st full week of November
Raft Trip- 85 miles, 8 days, 2 rafts
Saw 58 sheep/ 20+ rams
Set up base camp each afternoon, hunted key canyons each evening and morning. I bumped this ram coming out of a canyon, I chased him around to the next, of course to me its going to be a box canyon, but to the two rams they just went straight up. Well fortunately, he stopped to take a breather..
Used ropes for assist getting to him and getting him out. Took half a day to process him and next day, a half day to pack him out. Dropped the horns (pack strap broke) 50ft off a cliff, cracked the horns (but still intact).
Did have a major wind & rain storm (gusts of 50mph) on the trip out. The last day of the trip ended in a snow storm

Would do the trip again in a heart beat.............
to me it was epic

2905raft-sheep2_putin.jpg

4762raft-sheep3camp.jpg

1103raft-sheep4climbup.jpg

9478raft-sheep5ram1.jpg

1754raft-sheep6ram2.jpg

8681raft-sheep7roping.jpg

Sorry about the sideways photos, not sure how to correct.
They were fine before I uploaded.....

I have tons of pics, if you guys are really bored (at work)...

Paying It Forward...again

Like I mentioned, I am mainly a lurker...
however, I did contact and got help from KK and OneDryBoot from last years hunt & posts, who I would like to thank. As you all know, the MMers on this site are great to help out those in quest of guidance. Please continue to pay it forward for others in need of help.

I would also like to thank the UT DWR and their sheep biologists.
They were very hopeful with questions that I had.

To be honest, I thought the increase in tags were a little steep.
I am here to report that the sheep herd upriver is HEALTHY.
(shshshs....please keep this part a secret.......shshshs, but we saw 3 sheep a lot bigger then this one).

Holy cow Raftfreak...

I would say you earned that ram! That is some steep nasty country. Congrats on a great ram! I sent you a P.M.

Paying It Forward...again

SORRY... one more thing, on the HEALTHY UTAH SHEEP HERD
This is only a 6 1/2 year old ram, boy it sure has good genetics..........

PLUS I also have a hunter ethics question...
Are you supposed to wait til they are finished before you shoot? What would you do?

2356raft-sheep8healthy1.jpg

6279raft-sheep9healthy2.jpg

thanks for the field pics, looks like you had a epic hunt....you did great

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

Now that's an adventure! Nice ram and well-earned ...

Lv2hnt

"Every man dies --- not every man really lives."

Nice "paying it forward" pictures and story!
It appears you did it right Raftguy! Certainly an adventure that you will hold close to the vest.
As far as shooting or not...if he is worth shooting, then you need to let him "pay it forward" before you dump him! LOL.
Great Job

This is one of the coolest hunt trips I have read/seen on here in a very long time.

How unique of an idea.

Dandy Ram down too.

Thanks! for sharing,

Robb

More interesting PICS

Rafting Desolation Canyon

6462raft-sheep10downriver.jpg

If you know Indian Rock Art- this is where I hunted................
pictoglyphs were made thousands of years ago, this panel had 4 sheep
I killed my sheep within 500 yds of this pictoglyph.
Is that eerie or what?

8309raft-sheep11bsheepart.jpg

This is NOT a black sheep.
Curious, when do moose antlers fall off?
Date is 11/10/12, I thought most antlered animals kept them through winter.

4896raft-sheep12notsheep.jpg

To Raftf.....Great post. Great story-book hunt adventure.
I'm glad it turned out so well. Just wish I could have been
along on this one.

To the board, this was a multi-year hunt with planning and
preparation culminating this year in a wonderful way.
You can hunt every year, just have the tag once.

Yes, moose was on the lower Green, above town. I heard there were two, male & female. BUT may have been the same moose, just that the bull had dropped its horns.

Great pictures, you earned that great ram, congrats.
I was up there today and the moose are still there.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom