PCS to Cannon AFB

J

JPete

Well it looks like I will be moving to Clovis next summer with the 16th Special Operations Squadron. Most people are pretty bummed about the idea, as we are leaving from the emerald coast of Florida ( big change in local scenery for us. I on the other hand am very excited, it will be my first oppurtunity to hunt *Big Game*. Im looking forward to elk, mule, and pronghorn hunting. I dont make alot of money, so all of my hunts will be DIY. I was told unit 36 would be a good unit that is within a reasonable distance for me to scout and hunt. Any suggestions from the experienced?

Become "real good" friends with one of the programmers that did the draw program. They always put in a back door and you'll need it to get a 36 tag.

Other than that, 36 is a good hunt for those that can get around. Pretty steep country but good success rates.

search here and the bowsite.com, NM forum for more info.

Having been stationed at Cannon AFB for 5 years (+2 as a kid), I can tell you Clovis is not too bad. However, you will find that you are at least three hours from any "good" hunting (except Pheasant). I did see some of the biggest deer of my life in that area, but private land dominates the unit in that area. You are always more than welcome to come down to hunt with my buddies and I (all AF Civ or Sctive) in Unit 34...

Call me if you want - 575-434-5212

Dan

DC

Unit 34 is almost as close. Also, take advantage of the Military only hunts here in SE NM.
Some great opportunities for sure.

NM has some great hunting. I was in Alaska for 6 years and actually like NM better....really I do. As NMPaul stated, there are some good Military only hunt in NM. You really aren't too far from some really good hunting areas. Feel free to shoot me a PM or contact anyone here in the NM forum. Everyone is very helpful.--KH

Cannon would not be my first choice, but it beats the hell out of Nellis and Luke! You shouldn't be too far from some decent mule deer and pronghorn hunting. Good luck on your new assignment, and thanks for your service. Jeff

One thing that I would say is get your permanent orders so that you can prove that you are military res the first app date is at the beginning of February.

Thanks Dan, I will be giving you a call. It may be a little bit, as Im not due to PCS out there till summer, I will miss the draw deadline for next years season, however, that wont stop me from spending my time in the field scouting and getting familiar with the land. Thanks to all who replied, looks like alot of great people here.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom