Peak weight question. please HELP

cabinfever

Very Active Member
Ok I got the green light from the wife to buy a new bow, however, I have an unanswered question. If I'm 60 lbs, should I buy a bow that has a 60lb peak weight (50-60lb)? I have heard that a bow preforms better at its peak weight, but my delemia is, if I buy a bow with a 60lb peak weight I won't beable to increase my poundage, which is something I may want to do in the future. I have narrowed it down to the hoyt ultratec or the xtec. Would I really notice a difference if I were 60lb on a 70lb peak weight bow? I mostly hunt, but may start doing some 3d. Plus any advice on which bow would be the best of the 2 I have narrowed it down too.

cabinfever

You answered your own question(peak weight). I would suggest 60-70# if you have any inkling that you'll want more energy storage. The difference (IMO) is negligible between 50-60, 60-70. What is an issue is cam size. Try to get the smallest diameter cam possible that will accomodate your draw length (give yourself an extra 1/2"-1") The smaller cam has less mass and will recover more energy than a larger (heavier) cam. I have an Ultra, it's fast and easy. It's so quiet I don't even use string silencers. Get a TEC bow, you won't be sorry. A pro shop should address your concerns.

Be safe and go with the 60-70# limbs. If you get the other ones, if you ever decide you want to increase your draw weight you will have to buy a new set of cams.

It is true that a bow is most efficient when it is maxed out, but you wont be able to tell the difference. Bottom line that any animal shot in the boiler room with a 60# compound is toast. You might as well give yourself a little bit of adjustability.

I don't know where your located, but if you are going to be hunting in cold weather make sure you can pull it back when it is 0 degrees (or colder) with all of your winter clothing on. It is a whole lot easier to get 70# back when it is 80 degrees at the range with only a t-shirt on.

smalls

Thanks for the info. I guess my main concern is if i'm not the peak weight of a bow will i notice a difference, and I'm getting the impression that it's not a noticable difference. thanks agin for the info.

cabinfever

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom