Pecos Deer

Zim

Very Active Member
Got a 12 year wake-up call on what used to be my favorite Pecos TH, Walker Flats. Drove up today first time since 2011 but physically could not do it. Knees, ankles & heart failure too much to overcome. Rejected for elk so many times I put in for mzl deer 9/27-10/3. So I’ll drive to South side of unit and try hunting from Jacks Creek TH or Iron Gate. Anybody got any advice for a senior? Based on my Walker experience I don’t expect I can handle either of these. I have yet to see my first mulie.

Sounds like it's time to hang up the boots and become a road hunter. Probably a hard pill to swallow but from what it sounds like is, you hiking about in the hills and such could be more of a problem for everyone rather than just yourself. You go down, you know there's alot of resources about to be dumped to try and find or recover ya.

Maybe try sleeping at a lower elevation at night? Might be altitude not helping ? Take your time and good luck

Lol ya I actually called NMF&G considering returning the tag. Only found out about the heart failure after the application, lol. Had a pacemaker for 7 but that has not been an issue. Got through a 4 week elk hunt in Wyoming OK with help of an ebike. NM said they likely would accept a return since my EF was a robust 30, but I really wanted to just see the Pecos again. It’s my favorite place in the West. But was difficult to see torched like that. Man that was one intense fire. I could not get to my best spots up at timberline. Did like 6 or 7 hunts there back in the 90’s & 00’s prior to outfitter welfare on steroids.

I’ll probably just take a drive up to view the two TH’s and go camping until Sunday. I booked some facilities to work at en route home Monday. Well on a positive note I now know for sure I need to change all my Western applications to grampa units going forward lol.

Couple photos from my last Pecos backpack in 2011……

IMG_8657.jpeg

IMG_8656.jpeg

Got a 12 year wake-up call on what used to be my favorite Pecos TH, Walker Flats. Drove up today first time since 2011 but physically could not do it. Knees, ankles & heart failure too much to overcome. Rejected for elk so many times I put in for mzl deer 9/27-10/3. So I’ll drive to South side of unit and try hunting from Jacks Creek TH or Iron Gate. Anybody got any advice for a senior? Based on my Walker experience I don’t expect I can handle either of these. I have yet to see my first mulie.
Get a drop camp. Or stay where you can be fairly close to a road.
Age gets everyone don’t feel to bad.

Get a drop camp. Or stay where you can be fairly close to a road.
Age gets everyone don’t feel to bad.
We actually applied for outfitted drop camps like 4 of the last 12 years. Didn’t get selected anyway. Regardless, I don’t regret the past. I made hay when the goin was good. The reality now is I must transition. Time to go pick a campground. Driving up to Iron Gate now.

sorry to hear about your situation.
if you are still in the area don't over look the foot hills around jack, iron, and the Mora or even lower like Dalton and Holy ghost.
good luck. I haven't been out lately,
I do have a few friends hunting for the same hunt.
but I haven't heard anything from them, Ive been trying to go for wood also but can't seem to get these fall projects done fast enough.

We actually applied for outfitted drop camps like 4 of the last 12 years. Didn’t get selected anyway. Regardless, I don’t regret the past. I made hay when the goin was good. The reality now is I must transition. Time to go pick a campground. Driving up to Iron Gate now.
You don’t need to apply through an outfitter to get a drop camp service buddy!
Good luck my friend!

This ^^^^
All of my outfitter usage has been on tags drawn in the regular pool.

Make a few phone calls and hire a horse to take you in.
Then take it easy once you're there.

Last edited:
An EF of 30% is going to limit you significantly. Especially when you get at higher elevations and your cardiopulmonary system has to work just a little harder in the thinner air.
I wish you the best of luck with your hunt and health.

An EF of 30% is going to limit you significantly. Especially when you get at higher elevations and your cardiopulmonary system has to work just a little harder in the thinner air.
I wish you the best of luck with your hunt and health.
Ya with the rain forecast, I bailed after a few days camped at Jack Creek. Did consider hiring a horse, but just not enough time at that point. I tried hiking up to do a day hunt, but my heart/breathing was just not strong enough. It was pretty obvious I was in over my head. Oh well, I tried. On a good note I have work I can do in Central Missouri to greatly reduce my travel expenses on return drive. And what appears to be the best October cold front in 5+ years hitting Illinois for a special deer bow hunt I drew there. Just the right week, second.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom