2005dscn3941.jpg

9391dscn3931.jpg

5551dscn3945.jpg

5273dscn3948.jpg

7637dscn3959.jpg

4940dscn4059.jpg

2123dscn4062.jpg

6471dscn4084.jpg

I just concluded my Pecos Wilderness archery hunt. Weather was brutal the first 7 days and zero bugling. I was up there alone in my bivy tent at 12,800' when the weather finally broke on Sunday morning. I got a total of one stalk on this trip, but it ended with success. Needed a lot of luck. I just happened to find a herd in one basin bugling their heads off and all upwind of me. The two largest bulls had no cows so I worked close quickly. Ended up with a broadside 40 yard shot. Pinwheeled him. You can see the impact sight blood. He only went 110 yards. I believe this bull was the largest I saw on the hunt and after closer examination should gross 330". I am very pleased with him. Found a local to pack my elk out 3 miles.

congrats...thanks for the pics. Never spent much time in the Pecos...looks like I need to get up there.

Great bull and great pictures. Way to tough out the weather and get it done. Beautiful bull and thanks for sharing.

WillPower

"My only regret in life is setting my goals too low"

Fooled me. I was thinking 310" would catch him. But then again everybody measures a little different. Anyway hes a good one archery, congrats.

Very nice.
Great DIY hunt, Glad it happened for you, seems the rut was a little slow in some area's this year. 330 bull is a good bull. Like the shot of the Bivy, Home sweet home.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Beautiful bull , congrats on a great hunt , and thanks for the awesome pictures ...

Zim,

Congratulations on a really nice bull.

I'm heading out to the pecos in a couple weeks for the 2nd rifle hunt.

Dan

>Fooled me. I was thinking 310"
>would catch him. But then
>again everybody measures a little
>different. Anyway hes a good
>one archery, congrats.

junior, Photos can be deceiving. I got the best camera angle I could at the time, but the photo doesn't display the strong points. His inside spread is 43 1/8, main beams 50 1/8 & 48 4/8, brow tines all 14"+, swords 16" & 17". He'll gross 330 by anyone's measure.

Zim that is a trophy bull in the Pecos for sure! I was after one with more mass and less length a couple years ago and was told by local warden that was a great Pecos bull after showing a pic to him.Heck,I've got a hunt in the Gila in 3 weeks and I'd love to take one like that!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-26-11 AT 06:12PM (MST)[p]hank,

Ya I know I was really surprised. I've hunted there 2 times previous and only viewed one bigger, and not much. Especially considering I only got one stalk on this trip the odds were long to say the least to come out with this guy. It's kind of like what you envision as a best case scenario for a hunt and then it actually happened! Luck played a huge role.

BTW - I think I was due some luck. I have elk hunted New Mexico more than any other state, 6 trips since 1996, yet just never scored for one reason or another. One trip each to NV, AZ & UT and got good bulls. My NM jinx got blasted and buried for good. My AZ & NV bulls were bigger but this one is king in my book.

Zim,

Congratulations on a great bull. The other bulls you've taken may be bigger, but as hard as the hunts have been; this one will be just as rewarding and maybe more memorable.

MBBGH

7953dscn4378.jpg

The g/f flew in to Denver a few days between my hunts. Apparently she was not impressed by my bull.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom