Peeling Pine Logs

brookhunter19

I starting peeling some red pine logs today. I was wondering roughly how long does it take for peeled pine logs to dry out. This is my first time fooling around with pine logs. Feel free to offer some simple projects I could utilize these logs for.

Thanks,

brookhunter

Furniture. There is a guy on here who makes some really nice log furniture; he might be able to help. I think he posts some pics in the classifieds section.

If you can cut them and let them sit inside in a dark place to dry slower and peel them a year later it works better. You peel the bark off a green one and let it dry fast it will crack pretty bad. Probably get cracks regardless tho

LAST EDITED ON Apr-01-12 AT 12:53PM (MST)[p]Alright, I'll get laughed at but I'll say it anyway.

Before I do, I will tell you we peeled about 80
40+ foot Engelman Spruce and Lodgepole
Pine. I'm building a cabin, and of course had
to get them peeled before I started stacking them.

I went down to Home Depot and bought a high
pressure power washer. It worked great and did an
excellent job. We did build a few spades as well
but rarely used them.

You'll get "checking" (cracking), regardless of what you
do. It just adds a little character to the logs.

I'd guess a year or so on the drying.

I have about 45+ logs leftover from my build. Now
I need to decide what to do with them...

I aquired a few Redwood logs for a "project" I'm working on. I have one that is about 12" Dia. that has been cut for about 8 months. I peeled it in November and it's about as dry as it's going to get without being in a kiln. It's in my shop nice and dry though. I have two more that are outside in the rain that were cut and peeled at about the same time. They are still very wet. We get a lot of rain here though.

The one in the shop is checked pretty good from shrinkage (doesn't bother me) but the two outside ones are not checked at all. I'm sure they will when they get drier but maybe not as much....I don't know.

What size are your pine logs?

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom