Pentax DCF/WP "SP" binos

Anaconda

Very Active Member
Has anyone tried these. Pentax has come out with their popular DCF line of roof prism binoculars with ED glass ( extra low dispersion glass ). Called the DCF/WP ?SP?, they cost about twice what the regular DCF/WPs cost.
What do you think, I've heard some people say they rival the top end Euro glass costing three times as much

I had an opportunity to try some out the other day. They were the 10x42's and though they were real nice, I was comparing them to the Cabelas Alaskan Guide binos and they were edged out in low light. The Alaskan Guides were a bit brighter at dusk. I also had with me a pair of Swarovski 10x50's, though not an apples to apples comparison on field of view, still there was no comparison as far as crisp and bright. The Swaro's were definitely better glass.

In my humble opinion, the Pentax were close enough to the Alaskan Guides that price would have made the call for me....but the Guides were not only a little better, but cheaper as well. Pentax compared to Euro glass.....well, in this case the extra bucks for the Euro's get's you better glass, no question about it.

I'd recommend that you do as I did. Find some friends and neighbors with all sorts of binoculars, lay them out on the hood of your truck (the bino's) and try them out in low light. See what YOUR eyes seem to like best.

Hope this helps!

Read the reviews at www.betterviewdesired.com and www.optics4birding.com

The Pentax DCF SP's get high marks from me. I've owned them in both the 8x43 and 10x43 versions and thought they were great glass for the money. Not quite as good as the top four, which I consider to be Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, and the Nikon Venturer/LX's, but very close. IMHO, the Pentax DCF SP's offer somewhere between 93-97% of the optical quality of the big four, but they're less than half the price. Only you can decide if that last 3-7% is worth the extra cost....

Maybe consider your needs. Unless you spend a great deal of time in the field (two weeks or more a year) or make a living off your binos (guide, etc.) I think you'd be well served with the SP's and there's no need to spend big money on anything else.

Binoculars have come a long way over the past few years. It used be that you had to pay $1000.00 or more to get a good quality, phase corrected roof prism, but not any more.

For whatever it's worth, John Barnsness who wrote the book "Optics for the Hunter" is a big fan of the SP's. On another web-site he stated he found the SP's to be better than the Zeiss ClassiC's and the pre "Swarobright" Swarovski SLC's, and at least equal to the Leica BN's. Some have questioned the durability of the SP's, but Barnsness has used his SP's all over the world and said they're still going strong.

I love mine, for the price I would definatly do it again.
I hunt with guys that have the top binos, and they dont seem to pick out critters any better than I do. For half the price and to see just as many critters I dont feel that I did wrong. I would definatly give them a test run anyways. The only real benefit that I can think of with the more expensive glasses are the warranties they have are generaly better.

Knifeboy

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom