People get shot over a tree stand

This is the second time in 3 years where a Hmong was hunting where he shouldnt have been and turned the barrel on the person confronting him. Not far from my land a Hmong is still being sought after he shot someone in the back and took his rifle during the deer season.
Here is the whole story
BIRCHWOOD, Wis. - A deer hunter shot and killed five people and wounded three others in northwestern Wisconsin following a dispute about a tree stand during the hunt's opening weekend, authorities said.

AP Photo

AP Photo
Slideshow: Five Killed in Wis. Hunting Dispute

The 36-year-old alleged gunman was arrested Sunday afternoon, Sawyer County sheriff's officials said. Jake Hodgkinson, a deputy at the county jail, identified the suspect as Chai Vang but would give no additional details.

Paul Schnell, a spokesman for the St. Paul, Minn., police department, said the man was from St. Paul.

The incident began when two hunters were returning to their rural cabin on private land in Sawyer County when they saw the suspect in one of their hunting platforms in a tree, County Chief Deputy Tim Zeigle said. A confrontation and shooting followed.

It's not known who shot first, Zeigle said.

Both hunters were wounded and one of them radioed to the cabin a quarter mile away. Other hunters responded and were shot. About 20 shots were fired, but it's unclear who shot them, he said.

The dead included a a teenage boy and a woman, Zeigle said. A father and son were among them, he said. Some of the victims were shot more than once.

All five, from the Rice Lake area, were dead when officers arrived to the area in southwestern Sawyer County, he said. Authorities found two bodies near each other and the others were scattered over 100 yards.

"It's absolutely nuts. Why? Over sitting in a tree stand?" asked Zeigle.

Zeigle said the suspect was "chasing after them and killing them," with a SKS 7.62 mm semiautomatic rifle, a common hunting weapon. Wisconsin's statewide deer gun hunting season started Saturday and lasts for nine days.

Two young people who stayed in the cabin emerged safely after the shootings.

The suspect, who did not have a compass, got lost in the woods and two hunters, not knowing about the shootings, helped him find his way out, Zeigle said. When he emerged, a Department of Natural Resources officer recognized the deer license on his back, given to police by a victim, Zeigle said.

The man was out of bullets and was arrested, Zeigle said.

One of the injured hunters was in critical condition at St. Joseph's Hospital. Another was listed in serious condition and the third was in fair condition, both at Lakeview Medical Center.

Hunter Bill Wagner, 72, of Oshkosh, was about two miles away near Deer Lake with a party of about 20 other hunters. After they got word of the shooting, he and others went to round up the rest of the party. He said they heard sirens, planes and helicopters and noticed the surrounding roads blocked off.

"When you're hunting you don't expect somebody to try to shoot you and murder you," he said. "You have no idea who is coming up to you."

It took about three hours to round up the other hunters, who were up to four miles apart, Wagner said. "We're all old, dyed-in-wool hunters," he said. "We wouldn't go home because of this but we will keep it in our minds. We're not forgetting it."

Well its been fun. I hope everybody had many opportunities to hunt as much as they can. With stupid f---ing people like the guy in Wisconsin, it wont be long before hunting will be outlawed. Seriously though, what the f--- is wrong with people? Don't they know. The guy is too lazy to find his own spot, so he takes someone elses, then shoots them. Six people had to die (he WILL get the needle) just because one was lazy. This happens more and more every year. I've had confrontations very similar, but luckily have not been shot. This is just what we need for our sport. People need to get a grip and take responsibility. I'm sure he'll come up with some lame ass defense to say he's not responsible and will live. Oh, by the way, who the hell hunts deer from a stand with an assault rifle?

That's my reaction. Since when is a 7.62 mm SKS a common hunting rifle? The scary part to me is that this guy was on private land. I'm sure any of us who found some guy hunting on our lease would have approached him and asked him to leave. The worst part is, (besides the innocent lives lost) is that this guy will be portrayed as a hunter. Sounds to me like a poacher. And he's damn sure not a sportsman if he's hunting with an SKS with God knows how many rounds in the magazine.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families who lost loved ones.

God help us all.

WH

"Since when is a 7.62 mm SKS a common hunting rifle?"
Exactly what I thought? Too tragic.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-04 AT 09:25AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-04 AT 09:17?AM (MST)

Zeigle said the suspect was ?chasing after them and killing them,? with a SKS 7.62 mm semiautomatic rifle, a common hunting weapon.

Zeigle is confused. It is a common hunting weapon when you are hunting people. Someone at his department needs to set him straight. Stupid comments like that put us all in a bad light. I would like to think that was not Zeigle's direct comment and the press twisted it like they always do. If he did say that, he needs to let someone else talk to the press and pull his head out of his butt.

In looking at the video on MSN, Zeigle does indeed look confused. I intend on e-mailing him to set him straight at the Sawyer County Sheriff's Department once I find their link. Be nice if he would retract his blunder.

A gook with an sks, he must have thought he was back in the rice paddies.

No seriously though, don't blame the gun. An sks while not the preffered choice by most of us. Is still very capable of harvesting deer within 150-200 yards. I know if I only had a sks I would use it rather than stay home. Just because it doesn't have the "sporterized" look most of us are used to, don't buy the "evil gun" propaganda the antis have been trying to brain-wash this country with. IT'S THE GUYS FAULT NOT THE GUNS FAULT.

I totally agree. The department is backing down on the common deer rifle quote and now calling it an assault rifle in the latest news conference.

They said when the killer got out of the tree stand when confronted, he walked 40 yards fumbled with the gun like he was taking a scope off and started shooting. Sounds like premeditation to me thus hopefully a death penality case.

The true hunters who were the victims were smart enough to copy the killers hunting tag down before being slaughtered. Just a bad deal all the way around. They did comment they thought the victims tried to return fire.

Don't drag the gun into this. It was a rifle. No more no less. Seperating categories of weapons only divides us further. Remember that while packing your sniper rifle along.

BTW the idiot was just that. An idiot that will get what he deserves. He was not a hunter, he was and is a murderer.

Jeff

LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-04 AT 01:54PM (MST)[p]Exactly Rost,
That is the point I was trying to make. A gun is a gun is a gun. So when we as hunters start pointing our fingers at so called "assault" weapons, we're only shooting ourselves in the foot.

O.K., my second post here on this. First off I myself have taken a SKS into the woods for deer when making drives or brush hunting. Its short stock, low recoil, and iron sights makes it an ideal brush gun for deer. No, i dont use a bananna clip, just what it comes with. Truth is it is getting to be a popular deer rifle because of what i just said, and low cost makes it an attractive gun for kids, and new hunters not interested in spending a ton of cash on a hunting rifle. The reality is that the gun is a mute point. Had this guy had a BAR in 300 win mag maybe there would be 8 dead instead of 5 and 3 wounded.
The problem is our liberal government allowing thousands of Hmongs into wisconsin each year. The wisconsin F&G actually prints out the regulations in Hmong for them. My peave is if they cannot read or write american standard english why do they have a gun?
And no, wisconsin has no death penalty sorry to say..

Excuse my ignorance Schmalts, but what's a Hmong and what does it have to do with some guy going nuts on these poor hunters?

S.

They are from the Viet Nam area. they are immigrating to central wisconsin by the thousands every year. They dont understand the concept of private property and bag limits for the most part.

Vietnamese, same as those down here on the TX coast that kill each other over shrimp boats, shrimp rights in public waters etc..... It is how some of them handle life. But we have laws against that.

Jeff

This is a guy that was on a mission. He wasn't there to hunt. I read somewhere that he was denied access earlier in the week. If this is true, then he came with something else in mind other than hunting deer. Though hunting deer he was since he wore his patch on his back?

Bad news for everybody. Hope the Pendejo gets it good.

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

this takes the cake. it is just freaking sickening. there is not 1 other way to describe this incident right now- other than sickening. I almost could'nt believe my ears when fox news broke this story. what the hell is this world coming to, a small historic hunting town, full of families, kids on thier first hunt, younger kids, dads, moms, gramps- everyone. this is just plain wrong, my thoughts and prayers go to the wounded, and the families of the dead and wounded. has/does anyone know of a website/link to make contributions to the families, any news of how we can help them out. thanksgiving day is only 3 days away, and christmas is a month away also- what a shame for those people.
M WAITE, AZ.

Very sad what happened, but in reality it's no different than basketbrawl, except the loss of life, no matter how you look at it ,it's bad for the sport and becomes more tainted every yr. A day will come when it might be you personally that becomes a victim, watch your backside, sounds like to me that hunters have grid loc in the hills, too many ppl abundant game and one ##### hunter,with no moral values instilled, but I didn't know you used AK'S, other than deer do you have monkeys also? maybe this hunter was confused! I am fortunate so far to have wide open spaces, room to breathe, and in closing fry the idiot! blessings to the victims families...Greg

I hope justice is served and he gets what he has coming!!
I think this "idiot" knew what he was doing and was trying to hide his intentions by doing it during the hunting season. Either way, there should be no excuse for what he done, Hmong or not!!!! Definately a black eye to the sport we love!!!
Rick

A bad day hunting is better than a Good Day at Work!!

Sportsmans groups had better not be afraid of of handling issues such as this because of the "race" factor. My experiences with Asians out in the field is one of terror, I don't know their exact nationality, but the guys I ran into thought it was war and me and my lab almost paid for it. These goofs were acting like they were on patrol with their shotguns held out like rifles on patrol and literally any movement in the grass meant shooting time. They need to be cracked down on hard and I mean hard.

First of all, let me state that Im not a bleeding heart liberal by any means. Im one that hates when people play the race card when it comes to racial issues.

However, I don't quite understand why people in here are making these comments about gooks, rice paddies etc. This guy was a piece of trash and I hope he does get punished as much as the law permits. Because he is a minority doesnt mean we have to trash the culture he comes from or make absurd stereotypes. Every race there is has several examples of trash. I cant say that all blacks are bad because of Artest's pathetic example of sporstmanship. Nor can I say that all caucasions are lame sportsmen after some pheasant hunters threatened me with their shotguns when I innocently crossed a ditchbank (un-fenced) onto their property.

I am disgusted with this guys actions. I wish Wisconsin had a death penalty. Come on guys, lets not make asses of ourselves by these racist remarks. There are some good people out there from minorities, and there are some bad ones too. Lets grow up and leave the race thing out of this.

Murderers come in all shapes and sizes! This horrendous act of violence should be punished at the fullest extent of the law: the death penalty. My intention in monstermuley.com is to view the marvelous success of each and every hunter out there. However stereotypes and name calling will not resolve anything but draws more animosity between different ethnicity groups. I've been hunting in California for more than eight years and have seen the worst acts displayed by many ethnic groups: poaching, littering, rudeness, etc. However I have had the opportunity to meet of some of the dandiest and nicest people on earth. As the saying goes ?One bad apple spoils the whole bunch.? So I hope to clarify who the Hmongs are. Yes I am a hmong and I have a passion for hunting. Many of the refugees that came from Southeast Asia had to find refuge after the fall of Saigon and later Laos because they participated with the US arm forces during the Vietnam War. My father enlisted into the Laos-Hmong army when he was 16 years old. Under the direction of the CIA his platoon was to take out the supplies that were coming into Laos via the Ho Chi Mien trail. His other missions were to retrieve down US airmen in Laos. With the strong will of God he survived the many tough battles. Yes many thousands of young hmong men gave their life to serve under the US intelligence. The one that was left behind after the war suffer greatly from imprisonment, tortured, murdered, etc. Still today the communist regime still hunts down anyone with a next of kin who was participated in the war and they are either executed or put in prison.

Happy holidays and safe hunt'n!

This is something that is going to have to be worked out within the community, the court system isn't going to be able to do it. It has already been stated that these people disregard the laws pertaining to hunting. They don't seem to have much respect for the system they have adopted.

On another note I think it only fair that we not pass judgement on a case we know little about. Do any of the people posting here personally know the hunters killed? Shame on anybody to think that this guy might actually be telling the truth and was fired on first.

Far be it to even think that there might be ##### whites running around in the woods of Wisconsin.

In all the years I have been hunting I can honestly say without question the most rude and disrespectful people I have ever come across were white Wisconsins who didn't deserve the title hunter.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom