Performing Rib Roll with Gutless Method?

12gauge

Hello Everyone,

Have you had success performing a rib roll while performing the gutless method?

A rib roll is a way of removing the rib meat, but the majority of the instructional videos show the animal already field dressed.

Thank you

Great question. I normally do a rib roll when I am not doing a gutless method. Whenever I am packing out I go gutless. If I can get the carcass on a truck then I gut out. That is rare.

I think normally lots of pressure starts to build making it hard to do a proper rib roll without risking poking the intestines. Possibly with a true skinning knife that has a rounded point it may be worth the attempt. I have fixed blade skinning knives with rounded points at home ,but, nothing I could pack easily. May be just easier to gut out and then do it without risking poking the stomach wall and getting sprayed.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom