PET PEEVES!!!

Gar_G

Not a frequent poster, but a long-time reader of the forum. Wanted to feel out the air on two of my biggest pet peeves.

There?s a lot of well-deserved criticism of the ?Instagram-ification? of hunting today, but my complaints are more specific, and pertain to the accompanying comments one can frequently find attached to these posts.

2 genres of comments (both of which you'll have seen before I'm sure) really drive me over the edge.

The first is when hunters take a photo with their buck (usually a forked horn or the like) and caption it ?not the biggest buck on the mountain, but I'm happy with it?? or some variation thereof.

NO SH*T it's not the biggest buck out there?we are all looking at a picture of it and can see that!!! There?s no need to ?humble brag? and try to downgrade the buck. It's just that?what this sort of post means to say is ?well, I'm really the great white hunter and usually kill monster bucks, but I guess I'll post a picture of this dink I shot anyway.? Screw off! You obviously took the buck because you thought it worthwhile?can't you just enjoy it and leave it at that? No need to tell us all how you usually do better. Just post a photo of the buck for us all to enjoy, or keep the photos to yourself if you are just going to turn it into a measuring competition! It's sorta like taking a photo with you wife and saying ?not the prettiest broad out there, but she'll do? (exaggeration for the sake of clarity). But you get the point?this sort of caption isn't about humility, its really just deep-seated ostentation.

The second brand of comment is along the lines of ?this is my best buck to date!?

Nobody wants to see pictures of your buck so they can compare it to the other buck you killed 6 years ago. We share photos with each other to appreciate the animal, the dedication of the hunter, the beauty of nature, etc. We all share a love for these animals and a thrill in pursuing them. We don't care whether a buck is your ?best to date??we just want to admire it. Like comment example number 1, this is just another ego boost.
(Also, I'll add that saying ?to date? is redundant. If you just say, ?my best buck,? that automatically implies ?to date.? That's all ?best buck? can mean. ?Omit needless words,? as the old adage goes.)

Anyway, maybe I'm reading too much into this and overreacting. I think my rant above comes across as far angrier than I actually am. But I think my general points still stand. This has been irking me for years so figured I'd air it out. Just my two cents, for all that's worth. Not trying to start a fight, just share my thoughts.

>I'd post a picture of my
>archery buck but I'm afraid
>I might label it wrong
>

Lol. Maybe I'm being too harsh here.

>Anyway, maybe I'm reading too much
>into this and overreacting.

I think you're overreacting a bit. I don't think anything of posts that say "not the biggest" or "my best to date." I think most people post pics because they are excited and want to share it. If they are embarrassed about it, they wouldn't post it. :D :D

My pet peeves don't always apply to insta, but they are relevant. Most are of hunting forum and Facebook origins

1. (A week before the hunt starts) I drew this tag, haven't had any time to scout, need advice on where to go. Not lookin for honey holes, but I'm lookin for honey holes

2. (After the hunt starts) didn't see any shooter bucks last weekend, anyone know where I can find a trophy?

3. (My personal fav) my kid drew this tag, have never been to the unit before, they've never killed an elk before, I don't hunt elk, they want to kill a trophy bull to put on the wall, someone please tell us where to kill a trophy bull in a shitty unit with a ?make believe trophy? tag. Thanks

4. (3 days after any draw results are posted) drew a tag for a until that I didn't even apply for in the first place. The DWR ******* me again, need to know where is a good place to go on this unit.

5. (1 day after draw results) I had 6 preference points for a 3 preference point unit and I still didn't draw!! WTH!

6. (Half naked Instahuntressbitch with her ass cheeks showing that's only killed 1 doe whitetail in her life) hey guys! Here?s all my sponsors, buy some of their crap so you can be successful and just as good of a hunter that I am!
And a new one I just acquired this last Monday...

7. (Personal cellphone rings) hello? ?HOW DARE YOU GO INTO MY SPOT ON PUBLIC LAND AND KILL AN ELK! THAT IS SO UNETHICAL AND INCONSIDERATE! YOU SHOULD NEVER GO BACK THERE. EVER! ITS MINE, NOT YOURS! EVEN THOUGH ITS PUBLIC LAND!?

The utard hunter has evolved into something very disgusting, and I don't see it getting anything but worse. Entitlement and fame has ruined a lot of things for many people. I personally wish social media would ban any and all posts hunting related. A lot of this ##### would come to a screeching halt, very quickly. I wish people would do it for themselves and not ?for the ?gram?.

@screaminseagull

>I think this is your best
>post... to date.

LOL! ??? Classic!

BTW, you wouldn't happen to work for the ?Department of the Redundancy Department? would you?

Deerkiller I'm with you on #3. I think from now on if you ask for info on a tag drawn for Kids, wife?s or grandparent you have to show proof or no info. ?

You need to drink more Gar_G so that stuff doesn't get to you. ha ha
Your post isn't the best, but you're happy with it, right? ha ha

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

Those two type posts don't bother me any. Especially the ?biggest buck to date?. They?re excited about their best buck and want others to join in their excitement. Just letting everyone know ? hey, this buck is special to me? . So if I ever post my biggest buck to date pic, sorry. Actually I haven't ever posted pics. Never took the time to figure it out. But I do enjoy those pics from you guys that do. Thanks for all the eye candy.

?Anyway, maybe I'm reading too much into this and overreacting.? Gar_G

Yep, I think you are.

Nothing about saying ?It's not the biggest on the mountain, but I'm happy with it? says ?I usually do much better.?

I read it as exactly the opposite, actually. More accurately, from my point of view at least, would be this: ?I know you're here to see a giant buck, but I don't care how big the deer is and just like getting out and killing something.

I'm not sure I've ever read those words and viewed them as anything other than an acknowledgement that it isn't a giant, but they don't care.

On the topic of pet peeves: Not drawing tags. That drives me nuts!!!

Who reads the captions? And who puts that much thought into any of the nonsense. Most of this crap is just something to pass the time.. And forums are just a way to share your passion. I couldn't give a crap if it's your best or worst buck to date, I just enjoy the pics and move on with my day. The only pet peeve I have is when someone is kind enough to share their experience with us and the conversation inevitably turns to "I would never shoot that animal, its 184 and two thirds. I only shoot critters over 185 and seven tenths". That kinda ruins the experience and makes ppl not want to share.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-31-19 AT 08:18AM (MST)[p] I BELIEVE HUNTING IS MEANT TO BE AN ENJOYABLE, RELAXED, FUN, AND A NON COMPETITIVE ADVENTURE. FROM TIME TO TIME WE ALL NEED TO HAVE A BARLEY POP, GIVE THE OTHER GUY HIS SPACE & RELAX A BIT.

KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY...?????.YD.

My favorite 2 posts are,

1. the fish cops are crooked and they framed me. I know they do exactly what I did all the time and nothing happens to them.

2. The fish cops started a shed season so they could steal all the sheds.

Rich

I LOVE THIS!

GLAD YOU HAD THE BALLS TO POST IT!!!!

"1. (A week before the hunt starts) I drew this tag, haven't had any time to scout, need advice on where to go. Not lookin for honey holes, but I'm lookin for honey holes

2. (After the hunt starts) didn't see any shooter bucks last weekend, anyone know where I can find a trophy?

3. (My personal fav) my kid drew this tag, have never been to the unit before, they've never killed an elk before, I don't hunt elk, they want to kill a trophy bull to put on the wall, someone please tell us where to kill a trophy bull in a shitty unit with a ?make believe trophy? tag. Thanks

4. (3 days after any draw results are posted) drew a tag for a until that I didn't even apply for in the first place. The DWR ******* me again, need to know where is a good place to go on this unit.

5. (1 day after draw results) I had 6 preference points for a 3 preference point unit and I still didn't draw!! WTH!

6. (Half naked Instahuntressbitch with her ass cheeks showing that's only killed 1 doe whitetail in her life) hey guys! Here?s all my sponsors, buy some of their crap so you can be successful and just as good of a hunter that I am!
And a new one I just acquired this last Monday..."

One of mine is all the wanna be English teachers on here that cant stand how people spell and use no punctuation! Lmfao those are the guys that need a model.

37205hornkiller.jpg

My pet peeve is the guy who comes on to the forum seeking advice on a subject. You and several other members take the time to give him the advice he is seeking and you never get a "thanks" or kiss my butt no reply at all.

RELH

My biggest pet peeves........

1. Going to Walmart knowing there's gonna be Walcreateures and then when you get there.....you see em! Disgusting!

2. Getting on the freeway with an on-ramp that has two lanes that merge into one. Rather than blend every other vehicle like it is designed, the Nascar 500 starts up and the Utards start pushing you off the road to get in front knowing full well that once they are on the Freeway, they are "free" to speed up and pass those that they shouldn't have on the on-ramp!

3. Loud sideXsides driving all over the neighborhood just because they can.

4. Relatives that make every family get-together a negative experience.

5. Sitting down at your favorite restaurant after a 30 minute wait only to find out they changed the menu and dropped your favorite meal from their line-up.

6. Road construction

7. Trump

8. Kids who do not do their homework two weeks into school and then throw a fit because I'm beyond upset at them.

9. Pedophiles living nearby.

10. People that break into my car only to find out there is nothing worth taking so they leave it a mess.

11.............Oh, I just realized this was a hunting pet peeve thread.......

1. DNR cares more about what goes on, on the CWMU's then policing the public grounds. (Always stop me to remind me where the CWMU boundaries are before I head out hunting for the day)

2. Racecar hunters busting nuts up the canyon in their vehicles opening morning so they can beat you to an unknown spot where the chances of you two bumping into each other are less than getting struck by lightning (Get real folks, I ain't in a competition to steal your buck that you have no clue where it is and neither do I).

3. The hunters that ask, "have you seen any?" Of course I have but why would I tell you?

4. Armchair scouters Or the FBES (Flat Brimmer Entitlement Society) reaching for that one bit of information that will lead them to the 2 Hundo Instagram Elite Club.

5. Blocking public access with your POS entitlement rig.

6. Meeting a hunter, swapping stories only to be one-upped on everything you tell them.

7. Watching the sunrise on a big drainage that you saw a shooter buck in the night before only to find a hunter posted up in the middle of the drainage glassing 360 degrees for the bucks he blew out of there in the dark hiking in. (This one makes my blood boil LOL!)

8. Seeing someone shoot and drop a buck as a bigger buck gets up and then they start shooting at it because it has an instagram target on it.

9. Glassing for elk only to find a hunter desecrating your hunting spot with their fecal matter and then watching them frantically shred a hunting vest as a means of wiping their pie hole clean because they cannot come prepared and do not know where and where not to poop while hunting.

10. The inconsiderate hunter that sits down 50 yards from you and waves as you are sitting in your blind waiting for that magical moment to happen for the evening hunt.

HAHA! Great thread! Let's keep it going! I wanna hear some more pet peeves!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-19 AT 08:23AM (MST)[p]"1. (A week before the hunt starts) I drew this tag, haven't had any time to scout, need advice on where to go. Not lookin for honey holes, but I'm lookin for honey holes

3. (My personal fav) my kid drew this tag, have never been to the unit before, they've never killed an elk before, I don't hunt elk, they want to kill a trophy bull to put on the wall, someone please tell us where to kill a trophy bull in a shitty unit with a ?make believe trophy? tag. Thanks "

+++++1

1) when someone puts the toilet paper on wrong and it doesnt pull from the bottom....

2) ALL SOCIAL MEDIA!

3) Flatty hats.

4) skinny jeans.

just a few ;)

"Shoot Straight"

Now I'll tell you what I ENJOY here on MM since I'm not an Insta-dude.

The intellect, wit and humor of some of the members are second to none!

Very entertaining, Thanks

Zeke

#livelikezac

When you got to crap and there is not a tree around with a sign on it telling me where to crap, I did not know there is a right place and a wrong place to take that crap.

I ran across a guy once driving up the road who was all excited about a "big" buck he had just seen right off the side of the road. He was beaming and said "I just saw the biggest buck I have ever seen in my life right back there". Admittedly he was young, probably just in his mid-twenties. I start to picture some of the big bucks I have seen.

I'm thinking 35 incher, 40 incher. Nope, I asked how wide it was and he said "man, his antlers were almost as wide as his ears".

What a letdown.

Notdonhunting!

If you're hunting elk, ya don't take a crap where elk live LOL!

It's like waiting all year to go to a Black Friday sale and forgetting your wallet!

Amen to that!

To be that oblivious and inconsiderate to others around them while they blather on about things that probably shouldn't be discussed in public anyway.

Does it make them look and feel important?

I say no! It makes them look like the inconsiderate idiots they are.

A F'N FLATTY atop an Idiot Sportin a 20" PISSCUTTER like it's some kind of Trophy!

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

The reason these comments are made is because the hunting world, in general, is more concerned with inches than anything else.

There are jackwagons out there where the fist question asked when you get back from a trip or share pics with them is "what did he score".

The shallow ones are wrapped up in the trophy quest, I could care less what the self proclaimed badass thinks about my hunt and choice of what I shoot. These are the ones who try to playdown what you do and how you do it to makes themselves "look good" in the eyes of others, at least they think they do...

**the shallow ones are wrapped up in the trophy quest** bull crap dude! Hunting is all about the quest. Just because my quest isn't the same as yours doesn't make me different from you.

I'm a trophy hunter. I definitely take pride in looking for an old, mature buck/bull. It's what makes it hunting. I love to back pack in away from the crowds. I love to watch bucks and pass them up wondering what he might be next year if he makes it and i especially love to walk up on a trophy i killed. Some people have different ?trophy?s? mines a 180+ yours might be filling the freezer. That's fine by me! Some guys go hunting to sit around the fire, watching movies in the toy hauler, ride the atv around with the kid and shooting a buck off the road and call it hunting. That's great!! I grew up hunting that way. I'm also fine not killing a buck every year but i go anyways. We all hunt for our own reasons and that's how it should be. we should be out there hunting for ourselves not for the fame and glory or Instagram.

Lack if mtn etiquette.

Pull over for trailers.

Slow down, don't dust someone on side of road.

Offer a ride to someone hoofing it down the road

Always check on someone broke down

Just wave to one another

Pull off for the guy coming up hill

Always be friendly to kids who are out hunting

Close the gate

"I don't care if the season is closed. Get off your butt and go hunt them"

TRISTATE
3/11/19

From the party of HUNTIN, FISHIN, PUBLIC LAND.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-19 AT 03:17PM (MST)[p]"Pull over for someone coming up hill"
Now that is very uncommon now days. It is like playing chicken who will be first to blink, when you are going up hill on a narrow road with just a few pull outside to let someone by.
Especially some of these guys on there Monster Side X Sides very little mountain etiquette.
I suppose it is not as important now days with everyone owning automatics and fuel injection. It is not like back in the day when you had to pop the clutch in granny and then hurry and grab second so you could keep your momentum going praying you do not stall out the engine.

"bull crap dude! Hunting 2is all about the quest. Just because my quest isn't the same as yours doesn't make me different from you."

No, no bull crap at all dude!

You fell folly to what a typical forum-ite does and reads one small portion of a post and mouthed off about it.

Go back and re-read what I posted. If it doesn't sink in, go back and read again and again if needs be until you comprehend what it was I wrote.

When you're ready, I'll be here waiting to discuss that the comments made by others in the OP's thread is based on the trophy quest mindset and that only inches matter, which is why they are "humble" and "apologetic".

Woops, did it for you. Carry on...

Roadrunner-

Touch?. I see your point now. I skimmed to fast on my lunch break. It's hard to spend the hours needed to keep up with these posts.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom