Pheasant Hunting NE/ SD?

WIDOW_MAKER

LAST EDITED ON Oct-24-11 AT 07:07PM (MST)[p]Well, my brother and I have always dreamed of hunting for pheasants in South Dakota or Nebraska...We are wanting to plan a trip this fall to go to Nebraska or South Dakota...we are wanting to make it as inexpensive as possible...public ground, walk in access areas. If any of you have some info on where we could go hunting out there, it would be appreciated. We have never been out in NE or SD before. We are only are planning to hunt 2 -3 days. We are from Northern Utah.

Thanks,

WIDOW_MAKER

If I was going, I would go to SD. I turkey hunted around gregory SD 2 years ago. There was pheasant everywhere. Not sure if there is any public ground in the area

+1 on SD

And I live in Nebraska. The only place to consider in NE is the SW corner. It gets the most out of state pressure too. There is some public(walk in CRP) but like all states we have lost lots of CRP acres.

As far as SD, do your homework, some areas are down 60% due to a tough winter in 10-11. And public gets hammered as most/all private is pay to hunt.

Good luck!

Sukie

WE go every year to SD. Depending on where you go you can find a ton of CRP land to hunt that dont get alot of pressure. Again it depends on where you go. We usually go later in the year around the end of NOV or first of DEC. We are not going this year because the rough winter they had.

And if you walk up to the owners of the land and ask them 90% of the time they will let you hunt it. That is all we hunt now is private ground and we have not paid a penny to hunt it.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-25-11 AT 09:32AM (MST)[p]Where in South Dakota do you walk up to a landowner and get permission to hunt? Not very likely. I go a couple of times a year and get a free pass from South Dakota Wheat Growers Association. But that is because they work deals with outfitters. Its like private ground in most places anymore leased to money.

No doubt, I went to SD once, most all the land owners I talked to either had their land leased to outfitters of wanted $$ to hunt their land. I'll just keep going back to where I always go, there might be more birds in SD but you can only shoot 3 a day.

No estas en mexico ahora, entonces escoja tu basura
chancho sucio.

hmmm that's weird. Maybe its cuz we go later in the year after most people have been out there already. But like i said we have been going out there for 6 or 7 years and have not paid a penny to hunt private ground. And now that is all we hunt.

If you are asking to hunt opening day YOU will not get many that will let you, (family,friends,paying hunters) will get the first crack at the birds on their places.CRP land is getting cut back due to crop prices(corn is high) and the Gov is changing things. But hey their is still alot of public lands to hunt if you want to go for the opener.
Now skip to Nov and Dec and you will get alot more farmers to open their doors to you.
My family owns alot of land in Clark Count y and Beadle county area and they have let many hunters on after their done with their regular hunter that come each year.
In fact I'm headed back on Nov 7th to the 12th to hunt that area and we will be hunting families farms and the farms around them because hardly anyone is hunting this late in the season(season is only 3 week old) My nephew has hunters who come in Dec every year because they can hunt all the blue chips spots on a dozen farms and never have to worry about other hunters.
Local hunters don't even hunt after it gets cold.
Bird numbers are down in alot of places,But it seems the lower part of the state has better numbers of birds, That also means the number of hunters is down also. Good Luck

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom