phesant hunting fans

300wby

there is a newer hunting ranch in hamblin valley(southwest desert) there web page is westernoutdooradventures.net

shotgun1---How about wild ones, LOL?

4431ndwyoming_2009_014.jpg

Pen raised birds are good to start a dog and also for people with little or no experience to start hunting birds. Good luck with the bird ranch. If you have never been bird hunting I suggest you try!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Hunted Pheasant Farms on 3 occasions when an old boss I had took us for "work diversion"...

Lamest hunting ever- I didn't shoot a single bird any of the trips... Had to kick half of em to get em off the ground- the other half flew into the back of the truck and waited to be suffocated... It just didn't feel right to me...

Nothin better than wild birds that are flyin your face and scare ya half to death... I just haven't seen it at a farm yet...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

It does take people that know what they're doing and the space to have large flight pens so the birds have strong wings or you will get what you mentioned. I have seen a couple places like that, but did find a great place where I take my dog occasionally to keep him "honest" and it's very real type hunting. The place has two huge flight pens and several hundred acres of great farmland with plenty of cover for the birds they let out for a hunt. You can go with the owner to plant the birds, but I never do because I want as much of a wild hunt as possible and not knowing where a bird is in a particular area unless my dogs points it is the fun of it. It's awfully expensive though at $20 a bird, but I usually try to take him once before we head to North Dakota for our yearly hunt. That's where the birds on the tailgate of my truck were shot.

Interesting! I've heard of these people. Their ranch is in Modena canyon.. I think. Might have to go check it out & report back. (got to re-supply pinenuts this year anyway)

Slick

"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

If you book a hunt, you may get to see my dogs in action. I agreed to do a bit of guiding for them. While farm hunting isn't for everyone, me included, it does serve a purpose. It's good to get my ageing dad out and let him relive a little of his youth!

I have hunted pheasant farms in Utah, Kansas and South Dakota. The Utah farms were by far the worst as far as flying like wild birds, but I have to applaud them because without them we wouldn't have pheasant hunting in Utah. Our wild bird population
is pathetic. I don't even hunt pheasants in Utah anymore which is a sad thing.

It's always an adventure!!!

Agreed, not for everyone. A lot depends on quality of the birds. Key is to not to raise big, fat birds. I have hunted on poor farms, but have also hunted farms that birds flew like wild birds and also ran like wild birds.

Great way to train a young dog.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

I heard thru the grapevine that in wyoming there was some kind of disease going throughout the pen pheasants. From what it sounded like it was bad. Did this disease make it into the wild???? anyone know? something about animals raised in pens and released into the wild really makes me nervous for wild populations.

I need to chime in on this one. Not all pheasant farms are the same. Like others have said if the pens are big enaough to allow them to build strong wings they will fly. I have a cousin that does have one and the hunting is very much like wild birds. They fly off and away.

Now on the other side of this... The real fun with the pen birds is getting into the pens to catch the birds.

Got any pictures of the place.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Gator, the web page is westernoutdooradventures.net. As I said earlier its fairly new so go easy on the harsh remarks

No harsh remarks here, After looking at the site(pictures it looks like they need more cover for the birds(pheasants) to hide and move in.Fence rows are great But you need some more feed and hide cover such as Cattails, willow trees,Tall grass(Crp) any crops (milo,Corn,Soybeans,sunflowers,strips of alfalfa will work too if you don't cut it, Now the other birds will do well in all types of cover with feed and cover.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom