Phonescope help.

NECALI

Anyone have any suggestions as far as using a phonescope universal adaptor? I have one I am trying to use with a Samsung phone that isn’t a popular model, so no adaptor is available for my specific phone. I’m using it on my 20-60x80 Swarovski spotter. I’m having a terrible time getting the lenses to line up. Then if I luck out and get it, one bump or move and it’s off again. On the occasion I get it, it takes some awesome pictures and I would love to use it to spot through. Just to much of a hassle to deal with most of the time. It’s a great idea and I’m hoping I’m just not doing something right and could use some advice.
Thanks.

I bought a Carson "Universal" adapter a couple years ago to go with my Leica spotter, because it said it worked with all phones.
Definitely does not work with my Samsung Note 9.

I thought Phoneskope had adapters for all phones. I would just call there office in Beaver Utah and see what they can do for you. They are always very helpful. I feel like I am missing out when I leave it in my truck and don’t have it. Great tool for outdoorsman. Can’t live without it.

You'll get a lot better photos and video using an ultra-zoom camera rather than a phone + scope. There are a few cameras that don't cost that much $.

When I bought it I did call them. They are very good to work with. They don’t have adaptors for all phones. Thus the universal adapter.

Thanks for the reply but not really interested in a camera. I have enough stuff in my pack how it is. I’m hoping to find out if there’s a trick to getting this thing to line up and stay lined up easier.

I'm a bit confused. I thought the universal adapter was designed for scopes that have odd sized eyepieces. It mates to a separate phone case.

Are you saying they don't have a case that fits your phone and it is moving around in the case?

No problem! I really believe phone scopes will be a thing of the past as new cameras become smaller with more power....and produce a lot higher quality pics/video than a phone and a spotter. I really like quality photos and it's nice being able to reach out and touch critters with a long lens! If field judging animals is important....read on!

I tried a phone scope on my Swaro and there is really no comparison in quality. It's pretty tough to count tines and determine mass measurements with phone scope pics that are taken from long distances.

One of my cameras is a Nikon P950. It has an 85x lens with an anti-shake that is literally amazing! My Swaro spotting scope only goes to 60x so that kind of tells you what you can do with a camera! In fact, several times this summer while scouting I brought my Nikon along instead of my spotting scope. If I saw a giant buck I took photos and video of them instead of just looking at them through a spotter. They were great for bringing home and looking at to field judge on my big screen.

I also have a Canon SX60 that has a 65x lens. It is about 1/2 the size of my Nikon but still takes great ultra-zoom pics and video.
Thirdly, I have a tiny Panasonic camcorder that fits in a front pocket. It takes incredible HD video with a 35x lens. I've taken it on several Alaska dall sheep/mt goat hunts because it's so small and takes such great footage. To me, my cameras are worth their weight in gold when scouting and a pleasure to film with during actual hunts.

If you get tired of looking at the tiny little video and photos taken with phone scopes you may want to check out an ultra-zoom camera! I can pretty much guarantee you'll be able to field judge critters a lot better and you'll take a lot better quality photos and video! You are correct that cameras do weigh a little more but to me it's worth every extra ounce!

Middlefork, I believe my phonescope came as a two piece unit. (Getting old and don’t remember how it came ). One piece connects to the Swarovski eyepiece which was made for it, the other piece is the universal adapter which connects to any phone. Jims, the camera with the 85 mm lens does peak my interest. I’ll have to look into that.

Measure your phone. Look for a phone ( this equals phone case) that most closely matches the measurement of your phone on their website. If you can't find one with the exact measurements get the closest one and shim it.

You can also modify any standard phone case that matches your phone to accept the the scope attachment by a little Dremmeling and super glue.

I don't believe there is a universal phone case.

5BD39AF8-9767-4609-A7F9-97F80C482C38.jpeg
23D98F2F-C765-4737-BD91-4A13B8A33323.jpeg
C8C8FDDA-D504-43EA-9CDA-2DAD7DED8325.jpeg

This was is my 1st attempt to post photos. This is the universal one I have. My phone(uncased) will not stay very tight. It’s also weird that even when everything seems to be lined up properly, I have a hard time lining the camera up with the spotters lense. Seem to get a black view more often than not.

Measure your phone. Look for a phone ( this equals phone case) that most closely matches the measurement of your phone on their website. If you can't find one with the exact measurements get the closest one and shim it.

You can also modify any standard phone case that matches your phone to accept the the scope attachment by a little Dremmeling and super glue.

I don't believe there is a universal phone case.
That might be my best bet. Thanks.

I ripped this off another forum:

What you are experiencing is a common thing called Vignetting. I have an I phone XS Max. You have to use your zoom to adjust for it. As you zoom, it will fill the view finder. If you zoom too much it will do the same thing. You want about a 3.5 zoom. It will vary a little. Here is a little copy and paste section from the net that gives some explanation and how to overcome it:

Selecting a digital camera for digiscoping is different than picking one for general use. Excluding the professional digital SLR cameras, the best cameras for general use have large objective lenses with large apertures. For digiscoping cameras, however, large objective lenses lead to one of the biggest problems in digiscoping - vignetting.

Vignetting is the effect caused when the entire frame of the image is not illuminated, leaving a circular image with surrounding black. It occurs when either the objective lens of the camera is larger than the exit pupil of the scope, or when the curvature or mounting of the objective lens of the camera is farther away from the eyepiece of the scope than the scope's eye relief. For this reason, most digiscopers prefer cameras with small objectives, which can be brought very close to the scope's eyepiece. In general, pocket-sized digital cameras with large zoom ranges are also problematic, as their zooming lens elements recede from the eyepiece when zooming to larger magnifications.

The only way to solve the vignetting problem without changing the physical parameters of the camera and scope is to crop the image. Cropping can be done in a photo-editing program, which reduces the size of the image, or by zooming in with the camera while taking the photo. Zooming in maintains full resolution of the image file, but lowers image brightness.

Thanks for the info. I will try to play with it and see what I can come up with. I appreciate your time.

To my knowledge, Phonescope is a sponsor on this site. Surprised a rep hasn't chimed in.

To my knowledge, Phonescope is a sponsor on this site. Surprised a rep hasn't chimed in.
Cheston the owner and a few from the company are on the Bookcliffs looking for Bison. Some of the youngens are at the shop. :) What model Samsung phone do you have ? Maybe it's time for a Iphone ? :-0 I use a IPhone with a Otter box. They make a Phoneskoope that goes over my Otter Box. So I never take it out of the case.

Samsung-SM-J320V. Not in the market for a new phone. When I purchased the universal set up they were very helpful.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom